• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

We're Number 12!

I'm not surprised by this. It seems like everyone's moving here. As a native, I remember how things were growing up in the '80s...hardly any traffic. It's getting hard to move around, anytime of the day. I think the market needs a full time traffic station, just like Vancouver BC.

Agreed, but this really has more to do with a stagnant Detroit more than anything else.

Now all they need to do is change the name from Seattle to Amazon City.

I think Microsoft should get some part of the market name, since they're really close to most of the big fm signals. The only one anywhere near Amazon is KUOW. Maybe I'm bias because I have more of a shot at working for Microsoft at the moment.

You haven't noticed all of the people moving here? I see a lot of out of state license plates on a daily basis.

Of course, but other markets right around the same ranking are also growing. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Phoenix, Minneapolis, San Diego. So Seattle being right behind Detroit picks up a point. So does Portland. It is great that Seattle has increased in rank, but it still competes with other growing areas and could go backwards in the next 5-10 years through no fault of their own.

But I would argue Seattle is also the fastest growing of all these areas. And if the economy miraculously doesn't blow up, we'll probably be in Top 10 in 5-10 years.

Fastest growing in housing prices as well...my family's old home in the Bothell area has never been this high before. Almost half a million in a neighborhood that used to be ~$175-200K, 15 years ago.

But I would argue Seattle is also the fastest growing of all these areas. And if the economy miraculously doesn't blow up, we'll probably be in Top 10 in 5-10 years.

Even if it blows up, people don't leave. Where are they going to go? North Dakota, perhaps? During the Great Recession, Seattle still grew.

I didn't say people would leave, but growth may slow. Even during the last recession, we were still growing because of our tech base. But the economy on a national level is still very fragile and that affects us as well.

I didn't say people would leave, but growth may slow. Even during the last recession, we were still growing because of our tech base. But the economy on a national level is still very fragile and that affects us as well.

It's not just the tech base. The ports of Seattle and Tacoma are vital to US - Asian trade. Something cities in the midsections of the country don't have in their favor as much during downturns.

I personally don't see the Seattle metro ever not growing. It's been steadily growing since the late 1970's, and it hasn't stopped. Plus, everybody wants to live here because of the lack of fiercely cold winters, the scenery, etc.

Not debating your point, just adding to it.

It's not just the tech base. The ports of Seattle and Tacoma are vital to US - Asian trade. Something cities in the midsections of the country don't have in their favor as much during downturns.

I was in the Seattle area a couple weeks ago and drove around Alki Blvd to the West Seattle Bridge (lunch at Spuds). I was shocked to see how barren the Port of Seattle Terminal 5 and 6 container yards that KJR's transmitter site used to reside on. Completely empty, and the container cranes idle with no ships in Port. Years ago, when the Port anticipated so much growth that they basically drove KJR out. Ironically right after KJR moved, container business was fleeing Seattle for Tacoma. The Port of Seattle had pissed off the large container companies so much and Tacoma been so accommodating, that it appears Seattle is really suffering the long lasting impact of their poor management.

I personally don't see the Seattle metro ever not growing. It's been steadily growing since the late 1970's, and it hasn't stopped. Plus, everybody wants to live here because of the lack of fiercely cold winters, the scenery, etc.

And don't forget the legalization of pot, City sponsored "opiate-use safe housing", and Seattle Police looking the other way when it comes to drug law enforcement.

Yeah, that's the kind of people you want to attract to your city.

I hear you on your points, KellyA, especially concerning Seattle proper, but with my comments I have been referring to the metro as a whole: Seattle-Tacoma-Everett-Kitsap -- the entire area. We've doubled in population since 1980.

RE: Tacoma: Last Fall I had the opportunity to drive around the Tacoma tideflats -- I was amazed at the vacant industrial land in the area. Room to grow.

I would wager, however, that most of the people who come to this metro from other areas of the country, or the rest of the world for that matter, aren't homeless or drug users. On that point we differ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom