• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stunting On 88 Punto Tres

DrAkbar

Star Participant
We have way too much time on our hands.

Tried the KNAI-AM translator on 101~Nine. Gang buster signal and modulation. Slid over to 88~Three and listened an hour or so to a loop advising Radio Campesina listeners the station has moved to 101~Nine. (wonder how many thousands of 88~Three bumper stickers are in circulation?). So Nurse Jeff and I are thinking the days of shared frequency 88~Three are numbered. Guess that means KPHF gets it all to itself when CCF has left the building. Meanwhile, we tuned to KAHM (soon to become KNAI-FM) at 102~One. While their COL is now Spring Valley, it didn't sound like they were on Towers Mtn yet. So now KNAI goes from a half station on a non-com frequency (yeah, right) to three commercial frequencies: 8~Sixty, 101~Nine and 102~One.

What else can Los Buckeye Boyz do while Media Hut students are on Fall break?

We have way too much time on our hands.

Tried the KNAI-AM translator on 101~Nine. Gang buster signal and modulation. Slid over to 88~Three and listened an hour or so to a loop advising Radio Campesina listeners the station has moved to 101~Nine. (wonder how many thousands of 88~Three bumper stickers are in circulation?). So Nurse Jeff and I are thinking the days of shared frequency 88~Three are numbered. Guess that means KPHF gets it all to itself when CCF has left the building. Meanwhile, we tuned to KAHM (soon to become KNAI-FM) at 102~One. While their COL is now Spring Valley, it didn't sound like they were on Towers Mtn yet. So now KNAI goes from a half station on a non-com frequency (yeah, right) to three commercial frequencies: 8~Sixty, 101~Nine and 102~One.

What else can Los Buckeye Boyz do while Media Hut students are on Fall break?

I don't know what more can be said about this topic, but I got a homework assignment for you Doc: Put in a request for more "Kookie Kookie Lend Me Your Comb" air-time on Oldies 92.7 / 93.3 HD-Too / the Lumberyard 1440. It's been many moons since Edd Byrnes and Connie Stevens were last played by the Goldminers "mining another 14 in a row!!!!"

P.S. What ever happened to the infamous KAZG lamptimer? Is it being used to power off KQFN?

I don't know what more can be said about this topic, but I got a homework assignment for you Doc: Put in a request for more "Kookie Kookie Lend Me Your Comb" air-time on Oldies 92.7 / 93.3 HD-Too / the Lumberyard 1440. It's been many moons since Edd Byrnes and Connie Stevens were last played by the Goldminers "mining another 14 in a row!!!!"

Agreed. We've placed numerous calls to the Oldies 92~Seven Bossline requesting that song. Nothing so far. However your mention of "many moons" gives me an idea!

P.S. What ever happened to the infamous KAZG lamptimer? Is it being used to power off KQFN?

Yup. No sign-off at sunset, just the ol Gumpdusky carrier dump thanks to the Lamptimer. Can't figure out why 15~Eighty hasn't ordered the part from Nautel that allows their 50kw xmttr to power down to 95 watts.

50KW Nautels are not FCC approved for 95 watts. Most are only approved for 5kw. I think the NX-50 will do 1KW. Efficiency goes out the door. Nautels will throttle down to 0kw and remain in the on mode for certain measurements. For setting and checking driver voltages you need to run the transmitter at 0kw or turn the trim pots for the power levels all the way down to achive 0kw out. The newer NX50 does not have drivers at all. Just digital straight to the PA's. That's what makes the new NX50 save power over your older Nautel. I had to get real familiar with one of my Nautels about 2 weeks ago. Just a big power supply hooked to transistors some coils and caps. The NX50 is a big power supply hooked to a computer, transistors some coils and caps.

Maybe they have a lower power Nautel they need parts for.

The best part of a new Nautel transmitter is that it now has a built in Lamp Timer. A smart engineer can hook it up to brew coffee in the morning and other things on and off. So as long as the lamp timer is still functional in 15-20 years when AM stations finally shut down, you will still have a use for your AM transmitter. Wonder if it has a Random setting, I'll have to look next time I'm in front of the Soon to be owned by some one new KFNQ NX50. A random setting would be fun.

Almost worth double posting to the Lamp Timer thread

The best part of a new Nautel transmitter is that it now has a built in Lamp Timer. A smart engineer can hook it up to brew coffee in the morning and other things on and off. So as long as the lamp timer is still functional in 15-20 years when AM stations finally shut down, you will still have a use for your AM transmitter. Wonder if it has a Random setting, I'll have to look next time I'm in front of the Soon to be owned by some one new KFNQ NX50. A random setting would be fun.

Almost worth double posting to the Lamp Timer thread

You work at the F-N Q? Nurse Jeff and I have a lot of experience with our F-N Gremlin.

Here's our beef w/CRC. When they purchased the station, it had been approved for 95 watts at night. They then filed two minor mods to beef that power up. The first was shot down by the FCC...the second was involved in a lengthy review. In the meantime, Summer came and went, leaving 15~Eighty as a daytimer facing later sign ons and earlier sign offs. So they yanked the minor mod and told the Commission they'd go ahead with the approved 95 watts. You'd think someone would have looked into whether their 50kw Nautel could power down to less than 1k (Disney ran it 50kw day and night). They have to be scrambling now, as November looms.

Not sure what all this has to do with 88 Punto Tres and the loop reminders to tune to 101~Nine.

Last edited:
One of the shows that's specifically promoted is a 9pm program that previously could not be cleared in Phoenix. They'd been simulcasting for about two to three weeks (and had 101.9 on social for that entire time), so obviously they are preparing to take the next step for the 88.3 license.

Either it gets sold to another non-com broadcaster or to Family Stations to "surrender" and take KPHF 24 hours. The latter is probably more likely. But I could see the former happening.

Either it gets sold to another non-com broadcaster or to Family Stations to "surrender" and take KPHF 24 hours. The latter is probably more likely. But I could see the former happening.

There's a shared time agreement going back to 1985 between KNAI & KPHF for 88~Three. Family Stations got the short end of the stick as they have the frequency for less time than CCF (9 1/2 hours). Shirley there must be something in that agreement regarding what happens when one station leaves the frequency. Our hunch is the surviving station buys out the departing station for certain costs associated with their half (or in this case, their 60%). Hard to imagine a new licensee to take the place of CCF.

There's a shared time agreement going back to 1985 between KNAI & KPHF for 88~Three. Family Stations got the short end of the stick as they have the frequency for less time than CCF (9 1/2 hours). Shirley there must be something in that agreement regarding what happens when one station leaves the frequency. Our hunch is the surviving station buys out the departing station for certain costs associated with their half (or in this case, their 60%). Hard to imagine a new licensee to take the place of CCF.

I was inspired to look up more info on the shared time agreement. In '86 there were still two applicants so they hadn't yet done shared time. That had to happen in '87 when both CPs were granted. It looks like it took both KNAI and KPHF nearly five years to sign on, though (definitely on by February 1992).

This is also the second-oldest shared-time FM currently operating, at least that I can find (WNYU/WFDU New York/Teaneck NJ was approved in 1970 and began operating in 1992; KVRX/KOOP Austin began operating around 1994, and KDXL/KUOM-FM in the Twin Cities fired up in the mid-90s).

What other shared time FM agreements have there been in the past? I found KRLS/KTAV Knoxville IA (92.1), which ran from around 1973 until the former bought the latter in 1991.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom