• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reading into Entercom's Divestures

AQH is wrong, the combined company's name will be Entercom.

This would not be the first time that AQH is wrong, but don't tell them that.

From what I've read, CBS required Entercom to remove any and all CBS branding from the acquired stations, including call sign changes for KCBS, WCBS etc. There's a grace period after the merger before this part of the agreement takes affect.

Bonneville sold KIRO 710, KIRO FM 100.7 and whatever they were calling 770 back then. Then Entercom sold Bonneville KBSD 97.3 FM and KIRO 710 and whatever they were calling 770 back then.

Just speculating on 1090. Can't wait to see who the winner is. They get the privilege of putting their inventory sticker on a slightly used Nautel, NX-50, 50KW AM transmitter already set up to broadcast in IBOC with the power savings advantage MDCL! I'm hopping it includes lunch.

The answer for 1090 is...

I wonder if the KZOK Jack spinnoff was required by the DOJ? Look at Denver. I thought when Entercom bought Lincoln Financial Media that the strategy was brilliant, try to build a format wall, but it was the DOJ that got in the way of that. Maybe David Eduardo can explain it to me, but I never quite understood why they were required to spin those stations off when iHeart has an AC, Hot AC, and CHR in LA and for a while they had a similar lineup in SLC, in the latter market they have and still have a Classic Hits station. Until KOSY went rock, it looks like they were doing what Entercom wanted to do in Denver. I completely agree KFNQ was a surprise to be spun off.

I wonder if the KZOK Jack spinnoff was required by the DOJ? Look at Denver. I thought when Entercom bought Lincoln Financial Media that the strategy was brilliant, try to build a format wall, but it was the DOJ that got in the way of that. Maybe David Eduardo can explain it to me, but I never quite understood why they were required to spin those stations off when iHeart has an AC, Hot AC, and CHR in LA and for a while they had a similar lineup in SLC, in the latter market they have and still have a Classic Hits station. Until KOSY went rock, it looks like they were doing what Entercom wanted to do in Denver. I completely agree KFNQ was a surprise to be spun off.

KFNQ should not be a surprise...it's AM, and only Salem or a religious broadcaster would really want it.

KZOK being spun was a bit of a surprise to me, but it seemed unlikely Entercom could add it and KMPS to its Seattle cluster as it would likely be over the 40% revenue cap. I thought it would be easier for Entercom to find a buyer for the two country stations, but this wouldn’t be the first time I've been wrong.

Entercom got more resistance from the DOJ in Denver than even it expected. The DOJ apparently was concerned about Entercom’s potential share of the English-language market there. I don’t think LA has any operators at or near 40% of the market's total revenue. Salt Lake City has among the most stations per capita, which also depresses each group’s market share. So, the DOJ likely had only minimal concerns in each.

Okay, I've read this thread and other articles on the web and have a vague understanding. My question is what will happen to KZOK? This is my favorite station now, surpassing KISW. Since I live up north, KJAQ and KVRQ are part of the AM Revitalization and I get simulcasts of two Bellingham stations, otherwise I'd be listening to KVRQ as well.

So if 1090 is sold to a religious broadcaster, would CBS Sports Radio programming will stay on Jack's FM HD2 channel?

So if 1090 is sold to a religious broadcaster, would CBS Sports Radio programming will stay on Jack's FM HD2 channel?

Who said that Jack is going to stay? I'm thinking that if Bonneville gets KJAQ, it will become the first full market FM sports station (simlucasting 710 AM). Bonneville likes spoken word formats best.

Who said that Jack is going to stay? I'm thinking that if Bonneville gets KJAQ, it will become the first full market FM sports station (simlucasting 710 AM). Bonneville likes spoken word formats best.

I previously suggested that Entercom should flip 100.7 to sports. If Bonneville ends up with 96.5 and flips that station to sports, I could see Entercom move Jack to 100.7 if they want to retain the format. At this point, I would like to see if Bonneville would be interested in acquiring Entercom's Sacramento divestitures instead since it seems like the logical choice with Entercom retaining KSFM. That way, Bonneville could trade their Phoenix stations to Entercom for their divestitures in Sacramento instead of Seattle as I initially thought of.

Hey, I'm just hoping EMF or Salem doesn't buy KZOK

Has anyone thought of Alpha Media? I think two FM stations are a nice foot in the door. There will be more sales and mergers in the future and there will be delicious opportunities in the near future if they pounce now.

Has anyone thought of Alpha Media? I think two FM stations are a nice foot in the door.

Their problem now is they've got a pile of debt from buying Digity. And I expect they would have wanted one of the two country stations.

I've just noticed that the KZOK webpage doesn't have a link to listen online (unless I missed it somehow). The stream seems to be working on the Radio.com app on my iPhone, though.

Whoops. Overlooked that....

Even I thought that Alpha Media would've considered merging with CBS Radio followed by an IPO. However, with Alpha struggling with debt from their Digity purchase, I'd give them a rest. In addition to what Alpha sold to Dick Broadcasting, they also sold 5 of their radio stations in Kansas to Rocking M and even a pair of stations in Richmond to EMF.

KZOK has good ratings. I doubt Entercom would sell KZOK to either company.

Money doesn't talk. It screams. And regardless of ratings or market heritage, everything has a price. WCCC, WBRU and KPRI got sold to EMF.

Money doesn't talk. It screams. And regardless of ratings or market heritage, everything has a price. WCCC, WBRU and KPRI got sold to EMF.

But it’s still unlikely for Entercom to sell KZOK to EMF or Salem. Besides, many people are advocating for Hubbard or Bonneville to acquire Entercom’s divestitures in Seattle. I was advocating for Bonneville to get the Seattle stations, but I would like to now see if Bonneville could get Entercom’s Sacramento stations instead since they’re retaining KSFM. Therefore, I’m advocating for Hubbard to pick up the Seattle stations.

I was advocating for Bonneville to get the Seattle stations, but I would like to now see if Bonneville could get Entercom’s Sacramento stations instead since they’re retaining KSFM. Therefore, I’m advocating for Hubbard to pick up the Seattle stations.

So what actions have you been taking to get Hubbard or Bonnevilles attention to your advocacy? Do you think they scan these forums before they make a decision? Have you actually called/emailed them? Your just throwing ideas out and taking credit when your the first to mention a possibility. I'm hobbled and can no longer comment on this merger. All I can say is get ready for some spinnin. The decisions that are going to play out were made a month or more ago in a room/conference call with the players that will be involved and I doubt they consulted the RD discussion board for advice.

Maybe using the word hoping would be more appropriate at this point.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom