• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reading into Entercom's Divestures

Kelly, I didn't even see this one coming. Wow, this deal is full of surprises around every corner. Mike, EMF already has an AIR1 where those signals serve, KWAO 88.1. I'd like to see Three Cities go for KFOO and KUBE. KXXO shows me that they really know how to market a south sound signal. I wonder if they would keep 102.9 Alternative or flip it to country? Since 102.9 had been country for its entire life prior to 2011, that's not a stretch, but I think I'd keep the alternative.

Kelly, I didn't even see this one coming. Wow, this deal is full of surprises around every corner. Mike, EMF already has an AIR1 where those signals serve, KWAO 88.1. I'd like to see Three Cities go for KFOO and KUBE. KXXO shows me that they really know how to market a south sound signal. I wonder if they would keep 102.9 Alternative or flip it to country? Since 102.9 had been country for its entire life prior to 2011, that's not a stretch, but I think I'd keep the alternative.
Something tells me Alt will be moved, but KUBE won't. iheart can try and keep both The Jet and Jack as is (ZOK won't change), but when you have your former competition coming under one roof, wouldn't something have to give?

I didn't think EMF already had Air 1 in Seattle. As for iHeartMedia, I could possibly see Alt moving to 96.5, giving the station full coverage in the market, although I'm not sure about KUBE.

I did see this coming but really could not comment. This made sencse for Entercom since iHeart will be spinning two stations that flanked Entercom. Now those listeners will consolidate to the the End and 103.7.

iHeart will consolidate Jack listeners to KJR-FM and KZOK. 96.5 goes sports.

When does the signal 1090 look good? When you have 850 in Tacoma. You may still not be hitting Des moines at night but at least you get into Seattle and the East side better than 850 ever did. They keep some CBS stuff on 1090 and move the stuff worth keeping from KHHO.

I see 850 and 104.9 going to Salem, they can then move there 1300 (they need to move this transmitter location) operation to the 850 site which is already set up for diplexing. 102.9 to EMF maybe or other??

Last edited:
For the love of all that's reasonable, why is this Mike character still talking? And what part of "a broken clock is right twice a day" does he not understand. I used to love radiodiscussions. Now I hesitate to even click here because of the endless babble from the likes of Mike and staggmovie and vchimpanzee and Mario500. Start a topic or contribute to a conversation? Not a chance. Not willing knowing that one of those know nothing know-it-alls will invade it like the spoiled child wanting to feel older by interrupting conversation at the adult's table at Christmas dinner. Every one of us can name a dozen well spoken and experienced pros that used to be a big part of this site, now long gone. You'd see their screen name and anxiously click to read what they have to offer. Instead it seems at least to me that we see the fantasy role player's like Mike, offering prediction after prediction. Throw enough at the wall and something was bound to stick. And instead of seeing the fullness of what these changes mean, we get a celebration that one or two of dozens of predictions was right...an excitement like Ralphie Parker opening that Red Ryder BB Gun on Christmas day. The sad thing being that those of us who've spent a lifetime in radio see the future for people like Mike. If he ever actually works in the business, it will be the typical small market journeyman, up and down the dial. Never able to break into a large market, becoming more and more bitter, blaming everyone but himself for a life wasted. Shooting his eye out time and again because he couldn't see the reality of a business. Yeah. Okay. RD can only be as good as we make it. And fine. I'm out of line in calling this kid out again. At this point, I really don't care. Tangent over.

Well, if KUBE does get sold and flips formats chances are that the only winners out of this will be KQMV (yes they’re Top 40, but they’re more Rhythmic/Hip-Hop friendly) and KHTP (the latter could fill KUBE’s void if they wanted to, especially with the Classic Hip-Hop fad having lost interest in places like Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and Memphis).

When does the signal 1090 look good?

That's the thing, it doesn't. Besides being an AM, 1090 has been handicapped with that big night null right through major rated population areas. Been that way for decades.
When you have 850 in Tacoma. You may still not be hitting Des moines at night but at least you get into Seattle and the East side better than 850 ever did. They keep some CBS stuff on 1090 and move the stuff worth keeping from KHHO.

Moving programming around on AM stations, is like moving the deck chairs on..well.. you know..

Well, if KUBE does get sold and flips formats chances are that the only winners out of this will be KQMV (yes they’re Top 40, but they’re more Rhythmic/Hip-Hop friendly) and KHTP (the latter could fill KUBE’s void if they wanted to, especially with the Classic Hip-Hop fad having lost interest in places like Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and Memphis).

I could see Hot 103.7 become KUBE 103.7 if Entercom acquires the KUBE IP from iHeartMedia.

How/why would Entercom acquire the KUBE branding from iHeart?

iHeart will dump the stations but keep the KUBE and ALT brands. You're more likely to see KUBE 96.5 or KUBE 102.5 than KUBE 103.7.

We don't know how iHeartMedia plans to shake up their Seattle cluster. Once they find a buyer for 102.9 and 104.9, we'll find out what changes happen then.

How/why would Entercom acquire the KUBE branding from iHeart?

iHeart will dump the stations but keep the KUBE and ALT brands. You're more likely to see KUBE 96.5 or KUBE 102.5 than KUBE 103.7.

"Seattle's Classic Rock....93.3 KZOK...."

Ugh. The mind utterly trips at the very thought of that. No THC necessary.

Interesting deal. I hadn't thought it would work out this way (but neither did the rest of us.)

But it makes sense for iHeart to get rid of Chattanooga and Richmond for a once in a lifetime deal on a full FM house in Seattle and Boston. iHeart also gets to dump it's two Seattle rimshot underachievers as well as it's two smaller markets. Something that will definitely be brought up in the next report to the bankruptcy judge. (I hear the investors in a debt of $20+ BILLION are getting restless.)

And Entercom doesn't walk away empty-handed either.

Any guess as to who picks up 104.9? Will iHeart toss in 850 with the price?

Will the KUBE calls return to 93.3? Will anyone notice they even left?

Will the AM Sports War move to FM?

What do we do about KFOO?

Any guesses?

"Seattle's Classic Rock....93.3 KZOK...."

Ugh. The mind utterly trips at the very thought of that. No THC necessary.

Interesting deal. I hadn't thought it would work out this way (but neither did the rest of us.)

But it makes sense for iHeart to get rid of Chattanooga and Richmond for a once in a lifetime deal on a full FM house in Seattle and Boston. iHeart also gets to dump it's two Seattle rimshot underachievers as well as it's two smaller markets. Something that will definitely be brought up in the next report to the bankruptcy judge. (I hear the investors in a debt of $20+ BILLION are getting restless.)

And Entercom doesn't walk away empty-handed either.

Any guess as to who picks up 104.9? Will iHeart toss in 850 with the price?

Will the KUBE calls return to 93.3? Will anyone notice they even left?

Will the AM Sports War move to FM?

What do we do about KFOO?

Any guesses?

I could possibly see KUBE “bounce back” to 93.3, and 106.1 KISS FM shifting back to CHR.

I could see Hot 103.7 become KUBE 103.7 if Entercom acquires the KUBE IP from iHeartMedia.
Oh DEAR GOD for the love of all that's holy and decent can someone please stop this turd burglar from posting such crap!!! Post like this show how stupid people can be. You REALLY think iHeart is going to allow someone else to take KUBE calls.... This has to be one of if not THE stupidest post I have seen on here, and believe me, I have contributed my share.

Oh DEAR GOD for the love of all that's holy and decent can someone please stop this turd burglar from posting such crap!!! Post like this show how stupid people can be. You REALLY think iHeart is going to allow someone else to take KUBE calls.... This has to be one of if not THE stupidest post I have seen on here, and believe me, I have contributed my share.

That was one of the two possibilities I have about KUBE. With iHeartMedia already owning 95.7 The Jet and acquiring 102.5 KZOK from Entercom, it’s likely that iHeartMedia could see Jack being redundant and move ALT to 96.5.

I could possibly see KUBE “bounce back” to 93.3, and 106.1 KISS FM shifting back to CHR.

Any more stupid predictions on the KUBE calls? You say such stupid things, trying to be the first to mention trades and how stations will change. Having the last word even if it's totally stupid. Do you know anything, because it's obvious you know nothing about Radio. I hope your independently wealthy. As an employer I would never hire you for anything beyond cleaning toilets. I feel sorry for any one that has to work with you in the present or future.

Mike your posts are like a game of Whack-a-Mole except in this case it's Whack-a-Miketheradioguy. No sooner than you pop up and your theory is whacked. Every one on this board is tired of you and your Whack-a-Mike ideas, please give it a rest.

Last edited:
I'm still going with my earlier idea, 3 Cities building out a pretty decent Olympia cluster with KXXO, KFOO, KUBE, and possibly throwing in KHHO for good measure.

The problem with KUBE during the last few years on 93 was low ratings (stuck at a 2, borderline 1 share) (yes, in the not-saying-much 12+). Movin took the younger end, Hot took the older, and KUBE (and Kiss somewhat) cratered. And with the demos changing over the course of at least 5 years, something needed to happen.

Alt I can definitely see moving to a full stick. KUBE...I have my doubts. If iheart retains the format and moves it en masse again, props to 'em. I just can't see it. And if iheart wants to keep the calls, they can always put 'em in storage on AM or some OOM FM. Worst case scenario.

Last edited:
The problem with KUBE during the last few years on 93 was low ratings (stuck at a 2, borderline 1 share) (yes, in the not-saying-much 12+). Movin took the younger end, Hot took the older, and KUBE (and Kiss somewhat) cratered. And with the demos changing over the course of at least 5 years, something needed to happen.

You know that Hot 103.7 is number four among 18-34s, right?

You know that Hot 103.7 is number four among 18-34s, right?
I did. Checked on IR. At the start, they were trying to grab KUBE's upper demos.

Is there honestly that much room for something to get sacrificed in order to steal Hot's thunder back?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom