16 More Stations To Be Spun Off From Entercom-CBS Merger:How Philly will be impacted? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 16 More Stations To Be Spun Off From Entercom-CBS Merger:How Philly will be impacted?

Quote Originally Posted by R.D.P. View Post
    Let WPHT keep the Talk thing going. It's working very well for them. To change the format, would lead to their ultimate failure.

Dan <><
    I will not be shocked if 1210 changes formats. Money and or ratings maybe the factors and also KYW. Entercom may want one station to provide news and info for the Philly cluster and keeping KYW would be logical. I don't think that merging KYW and WPHT into one news/talk station would be a good idea. Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations. Many other cities have 2 sports stations owned by the same company in the same market, like WFAN in NYC, WEEI and Boston, WJZ-AM-FM in Baltimore , etc.
    Last edited by Jul; Yesterday at 07:48 PM.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jul View Post
    I will not be shocked if 1210 changes formats. Money and or ratings maybe the factors and also KYW. Entercom may want one station to provide news and info for the Philly cluster and keeping KYW would be logical. I don't think that merging KYW and WPHT into one news/talk station would be a good idea. Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations.
    Talk listeners are not necessarily the same as news listeners. They are, for the most part, separate primary listening groups. In fact, each of the principal mass appeal spoken word formats, talk, news and sports, has a separate core.

At the beginning of the post-merger period Entercom is not going to mess with the cash flowing radio stations. They really have to make sure corporate total cash flow is stable or growing to keep the share price up.

The only way initially that WPHP adds sports is as a destination for overflow games from WIP.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123