• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

16 More Stations To Be Spun Off From Entercom-CBS Merger:How Philly will be impacted?

Let WPHT keep the Talk thing going. It's working very well for them. To change the format, would lead to their ultimate failure.

Dan <><

I will not be shocked if 1210 changes formats. Money and or ratings maybe the factors and also KYW. Entercom may want one station to provide news and info for the Philly cluster and keeping KYW would be logical. I don't think that merging KYW and WPHT into one news/talk station would be a good idea. Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations. Many other cities have 2 sports stations owned by the same company in the same market, like WFAN in NYC, WEEI and Boston, WJZ-AM-FM in Baltimore , etc.

Last edited:
I will not be shocked if 1210 changes formats. Money and or ratings maybe the factors and also KYW. Entercom may want one station to provide news and info for the Philly cluster and keeping KYW would be logical. I don't think that merging KYW and WPHT into one news/talk station would be a good idea. Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations.

Talk listeners are not necessarily the same as news listeners. They are, for the most part, separate primary listening groups. In fact, each of the principal mass appeal spoken word formats, talk, news and sports, has a separate core.

At the beginning of the post-merger period Entercom is not going to mess with the cash flowing radio stations. They really have to make sure corporate total cash flow is stable or growing to keep the share price up.

The only way initially that WPHP adds sports is as a destination for overflow games from WIP.

I will not be shocked if 1210 changes formats. Money and or ratings maybe the factors and also KYW. Entercom may want one station to provide news and info for the Philly cluster and keeping KYW would be logical. I don't think that merging KYW and WPHT into one news/talk station would be a good idea. Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations. Many other cities have 2 sports stations owned by the same company in the same market, like WFAN in NYC, WEEI and Boston, WJZ-AM-FM in Baltimore , etc.

Why the obsession, and why keep parroting the same illogical arguments?

Why the obsession, and why keep parroting the same illogical arguments?

The station shares my birthdate and it has sentimental value to me. I started listening to 1210 AM in the late 80s and listened until recently. That's why I talk about this station a lot. I want to be able to listen to 1210 AM again someday, under a new format and be a better station and have a positive impact for the Philly region given the huge signal. I apologize to everyone on this board for talking about this station too much.

Last edited:
I believe it was philosopher George Berkeley who said, "If a tree falls in the forest over and over and over, but people stop responding to it on the message board, will it keep falling?" Or maybe it was George Bailey. Or maybe it was Beetle Bailey. Regardless, are y'all picking up what I'm putting down?

The station shares my birthdate and it has sentimental value to me. I started listening to 1210 AM in the late 80s and listened until recently. That's why I talk about this station a lot. I want to be able to listen to 1210 AM again someday, under a new format and be a better station and have a positive impact for the Philly region given the huge signal. I apologize to everyone on this board for talking about this station too much.

A station is an inanimate object. It doesn’t have or share a birthday, as it doesn’t have a birthday.

But that aside, you make a conscious choice as we all do about what we will or won’t listen to. Whatever “recently” entails, this has been the format under any reasonable definition of recently, so nothing of significance has changed.

Any new format, if and when such a thing happens well in the future, is likely to be religious or ethnic. But for the foreseeable future, what you hear is what you get. And it works. That’s what matters. It works.

Moreover, there’s no point in harping on the same thing, repeating the same point, in an endless loop.

That's still meaningless. It's a random factoid that a four digit frequency happens to be the same as a four digit (usually indicates with a slash or hyphen) date. And it does not explain the obsession or refusal to accept basic business realities.

Having the same owner run 2 stations providing news and info in the same market like Philly , doesn't seem logical to keep anymore. Other cities maybe. If 1210 were to flip someday, I think they could merge 1210's operations with 94 WIP and the 2 of them becoming sports stations. Many other cities have 2 sports stations owned by the same company in the same market, like WFAN in NYC, WEEI and Boston, WJZ-AM-FM in Baltimore , etc.

If you have the #1 commercial talk station in town, and the #2 AM station in town, and it has positive cash flow, why in the world would you throw that away to do sports when sports is already on 94.1, 97.5, & 610? Jul, tell me which would make more money... being the #1 talk station with a 3 share.... or the #4 sports station with a 0.7???

Besides, how many years has it been since we've seen a successful format change on AM???

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom