• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

16 More Stations To Be Spun Off From Entercom-CBS Merger:How Philly will be impacted?

The markets that will be impacted with divestitures are San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, and Boston. Entercom is expected to receive 11 stations in 3 markets plus $265 million according to the latest SEC filing.

I wonder will the CBS Radio Philly cluster see some more changes coming in terms of programming and talent and perhaps some of the 6 Philly stations being sold in light of this news, if CBS/Entercom decides to sell more stations? Any thoughts?

I do have some thoughts. Station divestitures in far-flung markets will almost certainly lead to the demise of the format of WPHT here in Philadelphia.

I do have some thoughts. Station divestitures in far-flung markets will almost certainly lead to the demise of the format of WPHT here in Philadelphia.

Not really, because Entercom's divestitures would only have an impact in the markets where they're divesting stations as well as the markets where Entercom will receive stations.

Not really, because Entercom's divestitures would only have an impact in the markets where they're divesting stations as well as the markets where Entercom will receive stations.

Sadly, it's hard to tell in just text, but that was sarcasm, related to the countless threads Julius has started asking about format changes to 1210 WPHT.

What possible format could be put on WPHT that would work better than the current one?

Sadly, it's hard to tell in just text, but that was sarcasm, related to the countless threads Julius has started asking about format changes to 1210 WPHT.

I get it. Unless if Entercom were to acquire an additional FM for their Philadelphia cluster, I doubt anything will change.

Folks, I was joking. The two things have absolutely no bearing on one another.

WPHT's format, pathetic though it may be, is gonna be around for a long, long time. I suspect the format will outlive those of 95.7, 96.5, 100.3, 103.9, 106.1, 107.9, 610, and 1480. Hell, they'll probably be in the format when KYW vacates 1060!

Folks, I was joking. The two things have absolutely no bearing on one another.

WPHT's format, pathetic though it may be, is gonna be around for a long, long time. I suspect the format will outlive those of 95.7, 96.5, 100.3, 103.9, 106.1, 107.9, 610, and 1480. Hell, they'll probably be in the format when KYW vacates 1060!

If you want my honest opinion, the current conservative talk format should be dropped from 1210 am ASAP, by CBS/entercom, Someone's got to stop the bleeding with 1210 am given how bad the station is right now. Starting over with 1210 am would be smart at this point or perhaps CBS/entercom should think about selling 1210 to someone else.

Last edited:
If you want my honest opinion, the current conservative talk format should be dropped from 1210 am ASAP, by CBS/entercom, Someone's got to stop the bleeding with 1210 am given how bad the station is right now. Starting over with 1210 am would be smart at this point or perhaps CBS/entercom should think about selling 1210 to someone else.

WPHT isn't dropping Conservative Talk.

WPHT isn't going to be sold to someone else.

WPHT makes money. As much money as can be made with an AM signal at this point.

Starting over with 1210AM would be disastrous. They would lose all revenue, and would see a near impossibility of generating new advertisers.

You are entitled to your opinion. But it is, with 99.9% certainty, not going to happen.

Jul,

This is a personal request to stop beating this subject to death.

CBS is billing adequately on 1210 and they are, based on the gross revenue figure they report, making a profit. While not the same margins as a music based FM, they are likely good for what the station is and the current state of AM.

There is no "bleeding" to be stopped. None. Nada.

Since a single operator can only own up to 5 FMs in the market, and there is an 8 station cap, CBS can even have one more AM station in the market (not that they would want to) to spread the cluster fixed overhead around. They own the news position, and are the only significant talker. When packaged as part of a cluster, they have sales opportunities.

Nobody is paying good prices for AMs. It's better to book the profits as long as they last than to sell.

I forgot to mention this:

Entercom can not sell any station it acquires via the merger with CBS for a price that is lower than the multiple-based valuation used to establish the enterprise value. Doing so would put into question the value of the entire deal, and could cause a hit on the stock price.

Even a small impact on share price would be many times more costly than any money received from a sale, so it will not be done.

Jul,

This is a personal request to stop beating this subject to death.

CBS is billing adequately on 1210 and they are, based on the gross revenue figure they report, making a profit. While not the same margins as a music based FM, they are likely good for what the station is and the current state of AM.

There is no "bleeding" to be stopped. None. Nada.

Since a single operator can only own up to 5 FMs in the market, and there is an 8 station cap, CBS can even have one more AM station in the market (not that they would want to) to spread the cluster fixed overhead around. They own the news position, and are the only significant talker. When packaged as part of a cluster, they have sales opportunities.

Nobody is paying good prices for AMs. It's better to book the profits as long as they last than to sell.

I forgot to mention this:

Entercom can not sell any station it acquires via the merger with CBS for a price that is lower than the multiple-based valuation used to establish the enterprise value. Doing so would put into question the value of the entire deal, and could cause a hit on the stock price.

Even a small impact on share price would be many times more costly than any money received from a sale, so it will not be done.

As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I would've expected Entercom to acquire 106.9 for the divestitures they made in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Wilkes-Barre which would allow them to simulcast either KYW or WPHT on 106.9.

As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I would've expected Entercom to acquire 106.9 for the divestitures they made in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Wilkes-Barre which would allow them to simulcast either KYW or WPHT on 106.9.

Sorry if I'm confused by this post, but what makes anyone think EMF, which is buying stations all over the place, is going to give up 106.9? It's a great signal in the market, much better than their Cherry Hill licensed 89.5. And, typically, they like 2 signals for both K-Love and Air1. So why would they give it up unless they're going to get another signal (maybe a little less coverage or in the non-com band)?

Sorry if I'm confused by this post, but what makes anyone think EMF, which is buying stations all over the place, is going to give up 106.9? It's a great signal in the market, much better than their Cherry Hill licensed 89.5. And, typically, they like 2 signals for both K-Love and Air1. So why would they give it up unless they're going to get another signal (maybe a little less coverage or in the non-com band)?

Entercom will have 4 FMs and 2 AMs in Philadelphia, which means that they could own one more FM in their cluster. I'm going to debunk Jul's rumors about Entercom planning to sell or flip WPHT.

Last edited:
Let WPHT keep the Talk thing going. It's working very well for them. To change the format, would lead to their ultimate failure.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom