Entercom announces what it keeps, what it doesn't - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Entercom announces what it keeps, what it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    And would they move the format of WKAF to 107.3 as well?
    I doubt it, because the 107.3 signal is poor in the urban Boston neighborhoods where many of WKAF's listeners are. The Blue Hill transmitter is a prime location for the format.

Not only is the 107.3 signal weak and shadowed there, it also has adjacent interference from inner city pirates on both 107.1 and 107.5.

I see a couple of possiblities, at least for WRKO and/or WKAF.
    What about Bloomberg for either WRKO—which would pretty much cover the areas of, and need of, all of the patchwork HD-# stations and xltr.s they are using—or WKAF, to add to the South Shore coverage, instead of WXKS (or in addition to, keeping in mind they are using both the radio and TV feeds).
    Another—albeit, remote—possibility for either WRKO or WKAF is Raycom Media, which recently bought the parent of The Salem News.
    As for the AM institutions, I would like to see Cox snatch up WBZ and WHDHʼs Sunbeam Television expand to radio with WRKO (or vice-versa), though I realize the latter is highly unlikely.
    ~Uncle Kaimbridge~

**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kaimbridge View Post
    I see a couple of possiblities, at least for WRKO and/or WKAF.
    What about Bloomberg for either WRKO—which would pretty much cover the areas of, and need of, all of the patchwork HD-# stations and xltr.s they are using—or WKAF, to add to the South Shore coverage, instead of WXKS (or in addition to, keeping in mind they are using both the radio and TV feeds).
    Another—albeit, remote—possibility for either WRKO or WKAF is Raycom Media, which recently bought the parent of The Salem News.
    As for the AM institutions, I would like to see Cox snatch up WBZ and WHDHʼs Sunbeam Television expand to radio with WRKO (or vice-versa), though I realize the latter is highly unlikely.
    WRKO has a poor signal beyond 128 after sunset
    Norm Rosen

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBurns View Post
    Can someone explain the "whys" here:
    1. Why not keep WBZ instead of WEEI? Doesn't the former's signal have better reach?
    At the risk of sounding like John Madden, when both you and the group you're acquiring are at or near the 40% revenue cap the DOJ imposes, you're going to have to get rid of some good stuff.

2. Why keep 107.3, with its signal limitations, rather than WZLX, which is actually a Boston station?
    See above. Swapping 107.3 for WZLX would likely have put Entercom over the 40% revenue cap.

3. Will the local sports hosts be consolidated at 93.7?
    We'll likely find out more after the final press releases from Entercom and the DOJ, but it's not likely. When stations are divested to satisfy the DOJ, the settlement typically prohibits the parties involved from poaching each other's staffs for a certain period of time if the DOJ was concerned with certain stations and/or programs affecting competition and/or revenue concentrations.

4. Why keep 93.7 when 98.5 has the better signal? Or might WEEI's programming be consolidated at 98.5?
    WEEI-FM has higher ratings and bills more than WBZ-FM. Plus, WEEI gets some good money from its network programming. Again, at this point, we don't know if WEEI-FM might find itself on a better signal after the merger is complete. There's a good chance it won't, but the only people who know for certain work for the DOJ or in Bala-Cynwyd, PA. Sometimes, the DOJ requires divestitures based on signal coverage. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoule View Post
    And doesn't ESPN pay them money to run it on 850???
    ESPN doesn't have a reputation for paying people to run its programming unless it operates the station. Unless it's operating 850 for Entercom (which I don't believe it is), Entercom is likely paying ESPN. Even in a large market, ESPN is more valuable to an AM signal than the AM signal is to ESPN.

Thanks for your responses. In terms of the buyers, despite its awful financial status, what about Cumulus? Perhaps they would consider selling assets in order to land some Boston properties?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBurns View Post
    Thanks for your responses. In terms of the buyers, despite its awful financial status, what about Cumulus? Perhaps they would consider selling assets in order to land some Boston properties?
    Entercom’s statement that it expects to get 11 stations in 3 markets that have billed $19-20 million in the first half of this year plus $207 million in addition to the $57.8 million it’s getting from EMF would seem to rule out Cumulus in Boston. There’s a slim chance it could do KRBE in Houston for a San Francisco property, but it seemed more likely Cumulus would’ve gone after KSWD with KRBE as bait.

Can two stations have the same calls if owned by different companies? So would WBZ-TV or WBZ Radio be forced to change their call letters when they end up with different owners?

Quote Originally Posted by dhoule View Post
    Can two stations have the same calls if owned by different companies? So would WBZ-TV or WBZ Radio be forced to change their call letters when they end up with different owners?

Yes, but WBZ is too much of a brand name for CBS to let it go , I would bet they get to retain the calls and may park them, as they did with WBCN somewhere a thousand miles away

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    Yes, but WBZ is too much of a brand name for CBS to let it go , I would bet they get to retain the calls and may park them, as they did with WBCN somewhere a thousand miles away
    Can a three-letter call be parked? I don't care either way, because I realize that these days call letters largely matter only to old folks and radio geeks, but it would be very odd to see WBZ become a 1-kilowatt right-wing talker somewhere in the South. I'll leave the outrage for others.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast