• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom announces what it keeps, what it doesn't

Via Fybush and radio insight(facebook)

New Entercom Boston: WEEI, WEEI-FM, WAAF, WBMX, WODS. Spinoffs: WBZ, WBZ-FM, WRKO, WKAF, WZLX.

Special "Top of the Tower" podcast with Lance Venta this evening.

I'm surprised by the choice they made. But on the other hand whoever gets the divested properties are going to be one lucky owner.

News can make money but costs money.Would an iHeart buy 1030 and put syndie hosts by day and keep night shows as is? If they get a good return on putting news on, maybe it stays as is.There is news etc on 89.7 and 90.9.Would a new owner of WBZ buy an FM (or use one they already have) and put news on it...then put who knows what on 1030..
Yikes.

If despite all of the Boston 25 flops, Cox is committed to the market for the long-term... this package of stations would be the perfect grab.

Mentioned on the podcast, WGBH got money from spectrum sale.Would they buy 1030 and run a commercial news station? Fybush and/or Venta said GBH News is already sounding like a commercial news station.
Might WGBH get a 97.7 and simulcast WCRB?

I'm surprised by the choice they made. But on the other hand whoever gets the divested properties are going to be one lucky owner.

I wasn't surprised to see Entercom divesting the WBZ stations. In fact, I've been predicting that Entercom was going to divest those stations for the sake of the DOJ approval.

Would (WGBH) buy 1030 and run a commercial news station? Fybush and/or Venta said GBH News is already sounding like a commercial news station.

While we're all seriously slobbering over who will buy what - and I hope EMF comes nowhere near any of the divested properties! - I can't resist a bit of levity.

WGBH buys WBZ, puts Joe Matthieu back in mornings.

How bout "Ole Man Rea" nixed for Tom Leykis podcast replays followed by Bradley J nuked for Artie Lange and Anthony Cumia "Artie and Anthony Show" repeats!
Top it off with Brother Stair "Broadcasting Worldwide Phrphet of God from Walterboro South Carolina"! đź––

A couple people on FB asked why Ent is keeping 850 but not 1030...Get big bucks selling 1030.The DOJ is also concerned about market share.If one company seems to have a stranglehold on revenue in a market...WBZ costs a lot of money to run as a news talker but makes money.They no longer will have CBS owned WBZ TV 4 as a sister station to work with.They would be leaving 1170 Soldiers Field Road.An I heart could buy them and move Rush there.There are all kinds of possibilities for WBZ. 850 is paid by ESPN to run that and takes spillover sports.Example: WEEI FM would run Sun night football while the AM runs baseball playoffs.

Can someone explain the "whys" here:
1. Why not keep WBZ instead of WEEI? Doesn't the former's signal have better reach?
2. Why keep 107.3, with its signal limitations, rather than WZLX, which is actually a Boston station?
3. Will the local sports hosts be consolidated at 93.7?
4. Why keep 93.7 when 98.5 has the better signal? Or might WEEI's programming be consolidated at 98.5?

I wonder if Hubbard would be interested in WBZ-AM. RKO skews so old that I doubt Entercom really wants it. And doesn't ESPN pay them money to run it on 850???

Can someone explain the "whys" here:
1. Why not keep WBZ instead of WEEI? Doesn't the former's signal have better reach?
2. Why keep 107.3, with its signal limitations, rather than WZLX, which is actually a Boston station?
3. Will the local sports hosts be consolidated at 93.7?
4. Why keep 93.7 when 98.5 has the better signal? Or might WEEI's programming be consolidated at 98.5?

The answer to all the questions listed above (and other questions being asked by other posters) could be as easy as this is deal the FCC and DOJ would approve. It's apparent that Boston was the sticking point in this merger and perhaps Entercom gave up more than they wanted to in Boston just to get the deal done.

Additionally for your questions:

1. Perhaps the cost of running a news operation is far greater than a satellite-fed ESPN affiliate. Maybe they see AM news as a format on life-support. Like I mentioned above, maybe they knew they had to do this to get approval.
2. See my initial answer.
3. No. 98.5 The Sports Hub is being sold as The Sports Hub, unless there's some creative intellectual property swapping in advance of the deal being finalized. I doubt that will fly.
4. Again, perhaps this was the only way the deal could be approved. 93.7 has proven that they can win on that signal, even with its challenges.

Furthermore, I am willing to bet the buyers/swappers for these divested stations are already in place and we'll know sooner than later who is getting what.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom