• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMEX Updates??

The ad says the prospective buyer could sign a lease: "NEW 10 year lease to be signed by NEW BUYER starting at $12,000 a month (proposed lease available). FCC eliminating Main Studio rule lowers operating costs"

10 year lease...don't know if it's same site as before but a buyer could sign a lease at that price.
https://radio-locator.com/info/WMEX-AM
Map there puts towers south of Rt 60, Waltham

Ha...
>>Station currently off the air. FCC license in good standing until 7/1/2018.

Why yes the license is in good standing,you just need to get it back on air by that date or the 1510 allocation here is gone forever.It's a potential Cinderella story but that on that date, the coach and horses turn back into a pumpkin and mice.

The current (or old) owners are not coming back as they have been scattered by the winds sentenced to the punishments of their own arrogance and stupidity. The only way 1510 will be on the air again is if someone with a brain and deep pockets gets 1510 via auction. There are no assets that are worth anything and only the dial position is of value. The office/Studio space is too small for a station and the tower site is way too costly.

12 grand a month.... for taking up maybe 6 parking spaces in a parking lot.

I wonder how many sq feet of office space you could lease in that complex for 12 grand a month.

I'd love to know what the tax assessment is on the towers is and if the lease is triple net

144K a year, 1.44 million over 10. OUCH

Around the time they went off, Daly XXL hinted there were new owners and they would soon be on air..they just hadn't decided on a format yet.A Patriot Ledger article said "WMEX off but maybe not for long".

Huge amount of money to get back on and run.Would a potential owner who wants to maybe broker time go for it..for a signal that mostly goes out to sea? 1430 is for sale and faces no such problems (lack of xmtr site, potentially going silent forever).Maybe iHR would also try to sell off 1200 or broker it unless they need to clear syndie shows, Fox Sports etc.

1510, 1430, and 1200 all lack FM translators (if that's the answer) though at least 1430 is on 101.7 HD2 etc 1510 at that price (tower rent, electricity) is a tough sell. Someone with deep pockets who may wind up losing money; Daly got a year or two out of it. If such a deep pockets owner came up with an alternative tower site, maybe..like WNTN, now on the WJIB site.

12 grand a month.... for taking up maybe 6 parking spaces in a parking lot.

Maybe that includes valet parking?!!

That lease is 12k a month, and I'm sure there's an escalator clause in it. Minimum bid is $300k. Good luck!

Maybe that ends in Feb too.They would still be on 92.9's HD2, 1330/106.1 around Boston and 1450/106.1 Newburyport

That lease is 12k a month, and I'm sure there's an escalator clause in it. Minimum bid is $300k. Good luck!
I'm rather conflicted on the WMEX mess. Part of me wants the forces of Karma to play out....with Daly XXL seeing exactly $ 0.00 from the auction of 1510. On the other hand....as a fan of radio with a soft spot in my heart for AM....I would be very sad to see WMEX go.

DrAkbar......I noticed that you're writing from Arizona. One question: Would you happen to know if Frank Battaglia is still alive? (father of the snake Francis Battaglia of 1100-KFNX infamy). OH!...and speaking of Karma.....please tell me that Karma has finally caught up with Francis (God knows he has it coming to him).

Last edited:
I'm rather conflicted on the WMEX mess. Part of me wants the forces of Karma to play out....with Daly XXL seeing exactly $ 0.00 from the auction of 1510. On the other hand....as a fan of radio with a soft spot in my heart for AM....I would be very sad to see WMEX go.

DrAkbar......I noticed that you're writing from Arizona. One question: Would you happen to know if Frank Battaglia is still alive? (father of the snake Francis Battaglia of 1100-KFNX infamy). OH!...and speaking of Karma.....please tell me that Karma has finally caught up with Francis (God knows he has it coming to him).

http://writersunitetofightcancer.org/about/speakers-and-emcees/francis-battaglia/

I'm so sorry to read about Frank Battaglia's passing. I always liked the man....even if he was eccentric, and very tight with a buck.

The one thing I will always remember Frank for is his constantly nagging the receptionist to brew for him a pot of green herbal laxative tea;)

As for Francis.....either he's changed a great deal since the dark days of WALE-990.....OR....he has one heck of a good PR writer.

Channel 83;6181655 As for Francis.....either he's changed a great deal since the dark days of WALE-990.....OR....he has one heck of a good PR writer.[/QUOTE said:
Francis has (or had) a 37% piece of KFNX 11~Hundred in Phoenix. The station went into Chapter 7 earlier this year and a Trustee is managing it. Daytime 50kw with great market coverage, but drops to 1kw at night with a directional pattern that aint all that healthy. Syndicated and brokered programming 24/7. It'll probably sell for more than WMEX!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom