• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sept. Book:

Sucks to live in Atlanta. In Columbus you have 3 oldies stations to choose from. In Atlanta just a Rock oldies station.

But to hear 3 oldies stations you have to live in Columbus!!
No Thanks! I spent a week there one afternoon. I'll stick to Spotify when I'm in the mood for "the music from my youth...."

FLIP Radio 105.7, Bring a Christmas 105.7 so Atlanta can have a legit Christmas music station. And after Christmas, put a real AC station like the one in Dallas, “Star”. That will ruffle some feathers at Entercom.

Star isn’t all that great, numbers wise in both ATL and Dallas. If it doesn’t work out for them, I’m guessing a “real” Alternative station would suffice, as in Star 94.1

Last edited:
FLIP Radio 105.7, Bring a Christmas 105.7 so Atlanta can have a legit Christmas music station. And after Christmas, put a real AC station like the one in Dallas, “Star”. That will ruffle some feathers at Entercom.

Star isn’t all that great, numbers wise in both ATL and Dallas. If it doesn’t work out for them, I’m guessing a “real” Alternative station would suffice, as in Star 94.1

And such a station would give either John Tesh or Delilah radio shows a chance. That is another thing that has baffled me about a market as large as Atlanta but carries neither of those syndicated shows. Delilah left the ATL air waves at the beginning of 2012. John Tesh has never been heard here. Why not give it a shot?

And such a station would give either John Tesh or Delilah radio shows a chance. That is another thing that has baffled me about a market as large as Atlanta but carries neither of those syndicated shows. Delilah left the ATL air waves at the beginning of 2012. John Tesh has never been heard here. Why not give it a shot?

Shows like that are good performers in the diary survey, as the name identity creates a benchmark and people write down large blocks of time spent listening. That is not the same case in the PPM, where the TSL boost just does not happen.

Shows like that are good performers in the diary survey, as the name identity creates a benchmark and people write down large blocks of time spent listening. That is not the same case in the PPM, where the TSL boost just does not happen.

Delilah herself has been quite vocal about her dislike for the PPM.

Hasn't the PPM been murder on "environmental" formats generally, such as smooth jazz, soft AC, classical, and what's left of BM/EZ?

Wait, real AC station? But Atlanta has B98.5, no?

Also, it wouldn't hurt for a classic hits (not classic rock) format to be on 105.7.

Wait, real AC station? But Atlanta has B98.5, no?

Also, it wouldn't hurt for a classic hits (not classic rock) format to be on 105.7.
B98.5 is in fact an AC station but it competes heavily with top 40 and hot AC. The real format hole is 'classic hits', but in this market, filling a format hole does not necessarily make the most financial sense. Classic Hits is not a big money demo. If the format were to be given a chance, it would likely be on a translator.

Depends...classic hits is not a big money-maker. If you check the big market CBS stations, the revenues are underperforming the ratings.

That's even with compromising the eras of hits they play.

The demos of classic hit stations tend to be older but if you are not in the top 3 or 4 of a sub 55 money demo a lot of agencies will not consider you unless the rates are a per point "bargain". I am sure that 97.1 has folks that are not in the money demos but they have enough sub 55 folks to still be attractive to agency buyers.

IMHO a classic hit station with a female friendly morning show could score a large number of 30 to 50 folks. You would play late 80 thru 2000's. Music testing would help because you most likely have a sub 400 play list. Replacing burned out songs would be an issue.

The demos of classic hit stations tend to be older but if you are not in the top 3 or 4 of a sub 55 money demo a lot of agencies will not consider you unless the rates are a per point "bargain". I am sure that 97.1 has folks that are not in the money demos but they have enough sub 55 folks to still be attractive to agency buyers.

That doesn't negate anything I said. Classic hits underperforms the ratings. So you can have a top 5 station that bills poorly. That may not fit the cluster strategy of the companies that own stations in Atlanta.

As I stated before if a huge part of your 6+ is out of the money demos that is cool as long as you are a top 2 or 3 in a money demo. A huge part of WSB's audience has aged out of the "money" demos but they have enough under 55 to do some serious billing. IMHO classic hit stations and classic rockers both have a huge part of their audience that is "out of the money" but they still have enough sub 55 folks that have have viable billings. There are some ratios or "power" factors for different formats, and any "classic" format will be lower. WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago. Not every station can target sub 30 demos. There are too many signals, someone has to "settle" for the 30 to 50 demos.

WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago.

It's billing "OK," but it's billing much less than a Top 5 station should be billing.

There is a reason why no one in Atlanta is doing this format, and the reason is money. Otherwise, it would be available.

It's billing "OK," but it's billing much less than a Top 5 station should be billing.

There is a reason why no one in Atlanta is doing this format, and the reason is money. Otherwise, it would be available.

Last year, CBS-FM was the #3 billing FM in the market, and 6th overall. What is interesting is that WKTU, with much smaller 12+ numbers, is virtually tied with CBS-FM in revenue. But to your point, CBS-FM is virtually tied in 25-54 with WLTW and beats WHTZ, yet it underbills WLTW by a third and Z-100 by nearly 60%.

Last edited:
WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago. Not every station can target sub 30 demos. There are too many signals, someone has to "settle" for the 30 to 50 demos.

Not every owner wants to get folks under 30. Even the CHR stations target 18-34 women with 25-44 women as the secondary target.

Of the 15 stations in Atlanta that bill over $7 million, these 12 do not, principally, deliver "sub 30 demos":

WSB, WVEE, WSTR, WSB-FM, WALR, WAMJ, WUBL, WZGC, WFSH, WSRV, WPZE and WKHX.

And even stations like WHTA that appear to be under-30 in appeal do well over age 30: WHTA delivers more 35+ than 18-34. WWWQ delivers 50% more 35+ persons (AQH) than 18-34 listeners. In fact, there is not one of the top 15 billers that seems to deliver more 18-35 than 35+. (AQH persons, three book average... excluding teens)

I think Classic Hits would certainly bill more on 106.7 than the current format, and I suspect fixed expenses would be less, too!

Heck, put the format on 98.9 and see what happens.

I think Classic Hits would certainly bill more on 106.7 than the current format, and I suspect fixed expenses would be less, too!

Both formats appeal to older demos, but talk programming is a more effective sales environment, because commercials can become part of the programming. In music, commercials are interruptions. The top complaint classic hits listeners have are the commercials. Not so in talk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom