Sept. Book: - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Sept. Book:

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio Radio Listener View Post

    Also, it wouldn't hurt for a classic hits (not classic rock) format to be on 105.7.
    Depends...classic hits is not a big money-maker. If you check the big market CBS stations, the revenues are underperforming the ratings.

    That's even with compromising the eras of hits they play.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio Radio Listener View Post
    Wait, real AC station? But Atlanta has B98.5, no?

    Also, it wouldn't hurt for a classic hits (not classic rock) format to be on 105.7.
    B98.5 is in fact an AC station but it competes heavily with top 40 and hot AC. The real format hole is 'classic hits', but in this market, filling a format hole does not necessarily make the most financial sense. Classic Hits is not a big money demo. If the format were to be given a chance, it would likely be on a translator.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Depends...classic hits is not a big money-maker. If you check the big market CBS stations, the revenues are underperforming the ratings.

    That's even with compromising the eras of hits they play.
    The demos of classic hit stations tend to be older but if you are not in the top 3 or 4 of a sub 55 money demo a lot of agencies will not consider you unless the rates are a per point "bargain". I am sure that 97.1 has folks that are not in the money demos but they have enough sub 55 folks to still be attractive to agency buyers.

    IMHO a classic hit station with a female friendly morning show could score a large number of 30 to 50 folks. You would play late 80 thru 2000's. Music testing would help because you most likely have a sub 400 play list. Replacing burned out songs would be an issue.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    The demos of classic hit stations tend to be older but if you are not in the top 3 or 4 of a sub 55 money demo a lot of agencies will not consider you unless the rates are a per point "bargain". I am sure that 97.1 has folks that are not in the money demos but they have enough sub 55 folks to still be attractive to agency buyers.
    That doesn't negate anything I said. Classic hits underperforms the ratings. So you can have a top 5 station that bills poorly. That may not fit the cluster strategy of the companies that own stations in Atlanta.

  5. #35
    As I stated before if a huge part of your 6+ is out of the money demos that is cool as long as you are a top 2 or 3 in a money demo. A huge part of WSB's audience has aged out of the "money" demos but they have enough under 55 to do some serious billing. IMHO classic hit stations and classic rockers both have a huge part of their audience that is "out of the money" but they still have enough sub 55 folks that have have viable billings. There are some ratios or "power" factors for different formats, and any "classic" format will be lower. WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago. Not every station can target sub 30 demos. There are too many signals, someone has to "settle" for the 30 to 50 demos.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago.
    It's billing "OK," but it's billing much less than a Top 5 station should be billing.

    There is a reason why no one in Atlanta is doing this format, and the reason is money. Otherwise, it would be available.

  7. #37
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    35,809
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It's billing "OK," but it's billing much less than a Top 5 station should be billing.

    There is a reason why no one in Atlanta is doing this format, and the reason is money. Otherwise, it would be available.
    Last year, CBS-FM was the #3 billing FM in the market, and 6th overall. What is interesting is that WKTU, with much smaller 12+ numbers, is virtually tied with CBS-FM in revenue. But to your point, CBS-FM is virtually tied in 25-54 with WLTW and beats WHTZ, yet it underbills WLTW by a third and Z-100 by nearly 60%.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 11-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  8. #38
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    35,809
    Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    WCBS FM is billing OK in NYC or the format would have been kicked aside years long ago. Not every station can target sub 30 demos. There are too many signals, someone has to "settle" for the 30 to 50 demos.
    Not every owner wants to get folks under 30. Even the CHR stations target 18-34 women with 25-44 women as the secondary target.

    Of the 15 stations in Atlanta that bill over $7 million, these 12 do not, principally, deliver "sub 30 demos":

    WSB, WVEE, WSTR, WSB-FM, WALR, WAMJ, WUBL, WZGC, WFSH, WSRV, WPZE and WKHX.

    And even stations like WHTA that appear to be under-30 in appeal do well over age 30: WHTA delivers more 35+ than 18-34. WWWQ delivers 50% more 35+ persons (AQH) than 18-34 listeners. In fact, there is not one of the top 15 billers that seems to deliver more 18-35 than 35+. (AQH persons, three book average... excluding teens)
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #39
    I think Classic Hits would certainly bill more on 106.7 than the current format, and I suspect fixed expenses would be less, too!

    Heck, put the format on 98.9 and see what happens.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I think Classic Hits would certainly bill more on 106.7 than the current format, and I suspect fixed expenses would be less, too!
    Both formats appeal to older demos, but talk programming is a more effective sales environment, because commercials can become part of the programming. In music, commercials are interruptions. The top complaint classic hits listeners have are the commercials. Not so in talk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us