• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sept. Book:

secondchoice

Star Participant
Here is Sept.’s 6+:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

WSB did really good. The Fish also had a good month. WRDA seems to be headed the wrong direction. Both sports stations are having a fall bounce, which is always a good thing for the sales folks. WTSH has lost 45% of it’s 6+ audience since the June Book. The radio war between 101.5 and 94.9 goes on to be the King of Country in the southeast. That might be part of South 107's problems..
IMHO both Kix and the Bull will be better stations because of it. WABE has had a couple of good months too.

WTSH has lost 45% of it’s 6+ audience since the June Book. The radio war between 101.5 and 94.9 goes on to be the King of Country in the southeast. That might be part of South 107's problems..

The bigger problem is that its 60 dbu covers less than 20% of the market, and that makes slight geographic variations in sampling very significant.

105.7-who knows? 106.7-Big contracts with Shannon Burke & The Kimmer. 106.7 is here to stay.

With the financial status of Cumulus, there is the likelihood that any contract will be voided by a Bankruptcy Judge.

I wonder if this Cumulus ownership is ever going to make 106.7 viable. There are postings that 104.7 (on the same tower only at lower power) is billing twice what 106.7. I can only guess Cumulus doesn’t want any of the great audience building paid weekend programing going to other second or third tier stations in the market. I realize The Cloud Company is having issues with the old ABC Radio O & O’s but one would think they would try to maximize billing elsewhere to make up the revenue.

Here is Sept.’s 6+:

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

WSB did really good. The Fish also had a good month. WRDA seems to be headed the wrong direction. Both sports stations are having a fall bounce, which is always a good thing for the sales folks. WTSH has lost 45% of it’s 6+ audience since the June Book. The radio war between 101.5 and 94.9 goes on to be the King of Country in the southeast. That might be part of South 107's problems..
IMHO both Kix and the Bull will be better stations because of it. WABE has had a couple of good months too.

Fish is probably the most seasonal non-sports station in the market. It does crappy (crappie?) during the summer, when soccer moms aren't playing taxi. It picks up in the fall, and has a dynamite stretch between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then back to normal until school lets out.

How often do they find new meter wearers?

About 8% of metered households turn over monthly. The maximum stay is 2 years.

The biggest attrition periods are over the summer and the Christmas-to-January period, so this summer wobble is potentially part of replacing and balancing the panel.

With the financial status of Cumulus, there is the likelihood that any contract will be voided by a Bankruptcy Judge.

A court appointed administrator under chapter 11 is charged with making sure the ongoing business prospers so that debts can be paid. Contracts for talent that have a direct relationship with revenue will be continued and, in some cases, may even be increased.

One interesting comments by Mary was some of the past cuts actually decreased revenue more than the “savings” of the cut.

It really helps to have a law firm that specializes in Bankruptcy that will “shop” and find a Court that will allow management to stay in place and has trustees that either understand the business or will allow current management to work a turnaround. Any decent law firm should have the filing “prepackaged / pre-approved” by the lenders. Delta, Northwest and United used Chicago which seemed “friendly” to airlines at the time. Is there a particular Federal Court that media companies “use”.

🤔 Does anyone even know that 92.3/96.7 The Beat exists? IHeartRadio waited too long to officially launch an Urban here! They had plenty of years to join the game. Groove and Wild were great stations and that was the perfect time, but the blew it and everyone else launched Urbans. 92.3 nor 96.7 can even be heard in parts of Dekalb. Gwinnett is off the list period! I guess they launched for The Breakfast Club and national ads. They have 2 weekday local jocks, but i noticed none of the typical voice tracking during other times.

IMHO: IHeart is not serious about Urban in the Atl. If they were they would move 105.3’s programming to 105.7, and do urban on 105.3. Of course the Alt. folks would go crazy. I believe IHeart could pull it off a really good Urban based on some of their Urbans in other markets, but is the Urban pie big enough to make it worth several months if not years of lost revenue to get that revenue slice?

As an Alt guy - Pressing Alt-Delete on 105.7 would be a God send because it would leave room for Entercome or Cumulus to go after alternative. Iheart nationally sucks at alternative IMO.

IMHO: IHeart is not serious about Urban in the Atl. If they were they would move 105.3’s programming to 105.7, and do urban on 105.3. Of course the Alt. folks would go crazy. I believe IHeart could pull it off a really good Urban based on some of their Urbans in other markets, but is the Urban pie big enough to make it worth several months if not years of lost revenue to get that revenue slice?

V-103 and Urban One have a lock on urban in ATL. Cox has had a man crush on V-103 for ages. Cox had a joint marketing alliance with Dickey called AURA, for Atlanta Urban Radio Alliance back when Dickey owned 104.7 and had urban on it. Cox with 104.1 (and 97.1 Jamz for a time) has picked up what CBS and Urban One don't get. Neither iHeart nor Cumulus would be wise to touch urban, unless they are sure they can take out one of the urban biggies pretty quickly.

V-103 and Urban One have a lock on urban in ATL. Cox has had a man crush on V-103 for ages. Cox had a joint marketing alliance with Dickey called AURA, for Atlanta Urban Radio Alliance back when Dickey owned 104.7 and had urban on it. Cox with 104.1 (and 97.1 Jamz for a time) has picked up what CBS and Urban One don't get. Neither iHeart nor Cumulus would be wise to touch urban, unless they are sure they can take out one of the urban biggies pretty quickly.

Doesn't Kiss 104 do really well? They're not really trying to do what V-103 does.

Doesn't Kiss 104 do really well? They're not really trying to do what V-103 does.

Cox was trying to go directly at V-103 back in the 1990s when this all began. Kiss didn't really take off until they tried to serve a different part of the urban market, which they have done well with doing. Urban One has done something similar--chipping away at different parts of the urban market, without blowing all of their ammo on V-103.

As an Alt guy - Pressing Alt-Delete on 105.7 would be a God send because it would leave room for Entercome or Cumulus to go after alternative. Iheart nationally sucks at alternative IMO.

The only problem with that idea it would be several years before any corporate broadcaster could convince the home office that isn’t the demo that “failed” but rather the station that failed. How many years has NYC been with an ALT station?

The only problem with that idea it would be several years before any corporate broadcaster could convince the home office that isn’t the demo that “failed” but rather the station that failed. How many years has NYC been with an ALT station?

I've seen that happen before. I think we have all seen that happen before but I've also seen a rock station leave while being replaced by the basic same format under a different owners (96 Rock to Rock 100.5). I've seen some competition for Radio 105.7 fail while being replaced by yet another competitive force (X107 and 99x).

Yes, your are right but I don't think that is the excuse every time.

Sucks to live in Atlanta. In Columbus you have 3 oldies stations to choose from. In Atlanta just a Rock oldies station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom