• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1fm wjza

Apparently. Smooth Jazz is not necessarily jazz. Sometimes it's AC, but it gets played if it fits Allen Kepler's vision of the appropriate sound for his format. Phil Collins has been a regular on the Smooth Jazz Network and on Broadcast Architecture stations before that.

Thanks, Roddy! I guess I have an "old school" mentality regarding the genre "jazz." Most of the material did fit in with what I always considered to be "smooth" jazz and it was the only thing I heard in 30 minutes that just didn't seem to fit.
What do I know...I only unplug the toilets.

I heard that chamber-rock song on there too. Its part Latin and French. Its by Enigma and called Sadeness. Only other place I've heard the song is SW.

'Sadeness, Part 1' is the song that plays often on BA and used to air often on large-market SJ stations many years ago, like the old KWJZ (now KNUC) in Seattle. But I don't hear it on KOAZ Albuquerque, maybe they're a little stricter on new-age stuff.

Sadness was big on those 4 hour alternative shows in the early 90s that played on the pop stations once a week before we had alternative radio stations. First Enigma hit. Second big hit was Return to Innocence back in Spring 1994. Two smaller hits were Carly’s Song off the movie Sliver (before Return to Innocence) and Out from the Deep which came out in Summer 1994 (all 3 on second album Cross of Changes). Out from the Deep played on some alternative stations that summer but I never heard it on 99X. All of these songs would be a good fit for the smooth jazz format.

They play Michael McDonald (Doobies) on there too, who I would categorize as blue-eyed soul, not jazz.

I was listening to WJZA a couple of days ago and heard the Phil Collins tune, "In the air tonight." Is that really considered "smooth jazz?"

From time to time, I've heard a remix version get airplay on 94.7 THE WAVE KTWV-FM in Los Angeles, CA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom