• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1fm wjza

Radio-Locator shows the tower as being near, but not in, the MARTA Avondale parking lot where it was previously located. Or maybe the coordinates in RL are off.

I had thought that 1310 was going to piggyback on one of the Cheshire Bridge towers and the MARTA tower was coming down.

W266BW, the FM side, is on one of the Shepherds Lane candelabras with a CoL of Winder. It has a STRONG null to the NW (roughly between PIB to the east and US 278 to the west).

Radio-Locator shows the tower as being near, but not in, the MARTA Avondale parking lot where it was previously located. Or maybe the coordinates in RL are off.

I had thought that 1310 was going to piggyback on one of the Cheshire Bridge towers and the MARTA tower was coming down.

W266BW, the FM side, is on one of the Shepherds Lane candelabras with a CoL of Winder. It has a STRONG null to the NW (roughly between PIB to the east and US 278 to the west).

I drove by the Avondale site a few weeks ago, and the tower was still up. I thought 1310 was going to lose it, though.

The FCC database shows 1310 still on the Sams St tower and has no CP for any of the towers in AM Transmitter Heaven on Cheshire Bridge Rd.

I wonder how much he paid for the AM and FM. Hope he can sell spots. Its awfully difficult having the bills come in with no cash flow.
Meanwhile 990 and 1040 are off the air. Are they the latest AM casualities?

I wonder how much he paid for the AM and FM. Hope he can sell spots. Its awfully difficult having the bills come in with no cash flow.

If I recall correctly, Greg Davis paid $150,000 for the AM.

990 was a move-in to Lawrenceville from south GA. Has it ever amounted to anything? The Regional Mexican market on the AM dial is quite crowded and can't compete with the FM side.

1040 was the old home for Atlanta Radio Korea until they bought Quixie. There's no reason for 1040 for them now. Quixie has about the same day coverage as 1040 did, at half the power. Quixie also has a decent night signal (albeit with a big null up towards west Gwinnett, where a lot of Koreans live, but it should be good enough to cover the ITP portion of the Buford Highway corridor), while 1040 was strictly a daytimer.

Think ARK may be just letting 1040 fade away? They have a 50k day signal but with a critical hours power-down and no night signal. What could they get for that?

I thought the gameplan was to use the AM as the primary signal for the translator, and then trimulcast La Raza on it. With the big null to the north that would work well with 100.1 and 102.3. Then they don't have to sell new spots and they can get more for those they already have.

Those 3 FMs would cover an area from Dalton to Austell to Conyers to Gainesville to Clermont to Blue Ridge. There would be a thin spot along a Marietta-Alpharetta line, and would fade out once you go northeast of Gainesville by too much, but other than that it would cover an immense part of Georgia's Latino community. It would almost be as big a footprint as WBZY.

Seems to be a mix of easy-listening and jazz on there. Needs to get some billboards out. Waiting for listeners to find you might take forever in the cluttered Atlanta market.
Haven't heard any spots on there, local or national. Hope they don't load it up with Ad Council PSAs. Ugh.

So is it locally-based or is it Broadcast Architecture (Allen Kepler), like what WAEG/92.3 airs up in Augusta? Still can't believe *that* one is still on the air.

So is it locally-based or is it Broadcast Architecture (Allen Kepler), like what WAEG/92.3 airs up in Augusta? Still can't believe *that* one is still on the air.

I don't know the answer. Back in the '90's before PPM killed the Smooth Jazz format, Broadcast Architecture probably had a license to print money. They had stations in numerous markets.

Last summer, I was in the Destin area, and 106.3 in Miramar Beach played Smooth Jazz programmed by Broadcast Architecture. But outside of that station and Smooth Jazz online, there was little left of Broadcast Architecture.

I know WJZA is weak on the NW Side of Atlanta. I'm listening to the AM on 1310 AM because of course, the FM translator signal is overpowered by WLJA in Elijay. WJZA may sound weak as I'm listening to the station right now however, several minutes ago, I was able to hear Allen Kepler do an ID for the station. Anyway, that is all.

I don't know the answer. Back in the '90's before PPM killed the Smooth Jazz format, Broadcast Architecture probably had a license to print money. They had stations in numerous markets.

Last summer, I was in the Destin area, and 106.3 in Miramar Beach played Smooth Jazz programmed by Broadcast Architecture. But outside of that station and Smooth Jazz online, there was little left of Broadcast Architecture.

Broadcast Architecture liquidated three or four years ago. It had been a part of the Clear Channel group of companies, and was partly a research company and partly a smooth jazz syndicator and consulting company. In its last few years, it was operated independently by Alan Kepler; both the research market and the smooth jazz format had declined considerably by that time.

Today, Alan operates the Smooth Jazz Network http://www.smoothjazznetwork.com/ and provides the format to a number of stations, mostly HD.2 channels.

Well, the 'Smoothest Place on Your Radio' was BA, now SJN. Practically the same thing. These stations also had Kenny G & Sandy Kovak, Miranda Wilson and Maria Lopez as broadcast personalities.

First, I stand corrected. David reminded me that 106.3 in Miramar Beach was programmed by Smooth Jazz Network and not Broadcast Architecture.

Second, something struck me as odd. When I first tuned in to 106.3, the person on the air (obviously voice-tracked) was the woman who had been Maria Lopez on WJZZ-FM here in Atlanta. (She was also voice-tracked on WJZZ.) I was 100% sure. But she gave her name as Miranda Wilson. But the real surprise was when a different woman came on and identified herself as Maria Lopez yet was not the WJZZ Maria Lopez. I doubt either one of them was really named Maria Lopez. Maria Lopez is a name that fits the Smooth Jazz format (just as Johnny Green used to be a Country name, and Johnny Dark a Top-40 name).

I actually looked up the telephone number of Smooth Jazz Network and called to try to solve this momentous mystery, but no on answered and no voicemail came on!

Maria Lopez used to be on KKSF/San Francisco, prior to 2009 when they flipped to 'The Band' Classic Rock, then Oldies 103.7, and now iHeart 80s @ 103.7. I think Miranda was there as well. And basically nowadays they are prerecorded liners only. It's a recording of a 'personality' with no song information. That's what happens when your affiliates dwindle down to WAEG and a few HD2s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom