• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Equal Time Rule

TheBigA

Walk of Fame Participant
On Saturday, the president tweeted:

"Late Night host are dealing with the Democrats for their very "unfunny" & repetitive material, always anti-Trump! Should we get Equal Time?"

That brings up an interesting question: What is equal time?

"The equal-time rule specifies that U.S. radio and television broadcast stations must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political candidates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives one free minute to a candidate in prime time, it must do the same for another candidate who requests it."

So one needs to be a "political candidate" to qualify. This question in fact came up in 2015 when Trump was considering running for President. He hosted Saturday Night Live, and the Democrats as well as other Republican candidates asked if the equal time rule should be applied. The decision was made that Trump had not yet officially announced his candidacy. That came later. So he got to host the show.

During the Obama presidency, there was discussion of bringing back the Fairness Doctrine, and applying it to conservative talk radio hosts. Obviously at that time conservatives were very concerned about being required to present opposing views on talk radio. Trump's call for applying equal time to late night talk shows brings those conservative talk radio shows back into play. Should Rush Limbaugh be required to have opposing views on his radio show every day? Equal time means equal time. What's good for one party should be good for the other.

So far, one late night talk host, Jimmy Kimmel has responded to the tweet:

"Excellent point Mr. President! You should quit that boring job - I'll let you have my show ALL to yourself #MAGA"

I'm sure the FCC will respond to the president's tweet on Monday. Based on previous legal interpretations, I expect they'll point out that it only applies to political candidates. However, I expect any talk show would be glad to have Trump as a guest any time he wants.

Trump is, by his own declaration (filed with the Federal Election Commission on 1/21/2017), a candidate for re-election.

Equal time is not the same as equal opportunity. The latter construct is the wording contained in the applicable law (Section 315(a) of the Communications Act - 47 U.S.C. §315(a) ).

The latter construct is the wording contained in the applicable law (Section 315(a) of the Communications Act - 47 U.S.C. §315(a) ).

That may be why he said "Late Night host are dealing with the Democrats" hoping to get their jokes considered paid political statements rather than free speech. I imagine he needs some proof for that to be considered.

Should Rush Limbaugh be required to have opposing views on his radio show every day? Equal time means equal time. What's good for one party should be good for the other.

Did (or does) the equal time rule apply to individual radio shows, or the station's programming as a whole?

Good Lord, Trump expects every joke about him to be balanced by a joke about a Democrat? Except for a very narrow window having to do with candidates for federal office, nothing like this has ever applied to entertainment programming (a TV drama taking a pro-choice position doesn't have to turn around and do an episode with a pro-life position). Trump is playing to his base as usual.

I remember when Reagan ran in 1980 TV stations shelved his movies rather than deal with
demands from opposing candidates for equal time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom