• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question regarding commercial vs. non-commercial FM station possiblities

(Admin/mod, please move if in the wrong section)

As per another new thread in the engineering section, for years others and I in our rural area have talked about starting a local, live radio station of some sort, ideally even a full power commercial station covering an area which for much of it has a totally blank FM dial but is still a well-traveled area.

Is it legally possible to have a hybrid commercial/non-commercial station? I'm referring to taking donations/being listener supported to some extent but also getting revenue from advertising dollars? Also, could some public radio programming legally be aired, but also some commercial programming to fill overnight, etc gaps?

You can be designated a commercial or non-commercial station. Certain rules apply to both. A commercial station does not have to air commercials. In fact it could be any way you choose to fund it even if you are a non-profit. A non-commercial station is simply that. Remember commercial stations are auctioned to the highest bidder. Non-commercial are not. In both instances you must wait for a window to file. The more coverage the better the chances there will be more than one applicant. Called being "MXed", it can delay things for years. One other thing, if you are involved as a part of a non-profit, you cannot be paid. Generally speaking to earn a paycheck you resign the board, the board hires you and functions as your boss, meaning they have the power to let you go.

Also, could some public radio programming legally be aired, but also some commercial programming to fill overnight, etc gaps?

Depends on what you mean by "public radio programming." To air NPR programming, you have to be CPB-qualified. CPB is the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. That means you have to be non-commercial, and have a certain number of full time staff, and on the air 24/7. The other public radio program suppliers may have other requirements. But I don't know of any commercial stations that carry long form public radio programming.

On the other hand, if you want to carry national commercial syndication, you are typically expected to air their commercials in addition to your own. So for that reason, it's rare that a non-commercial station is able to carry commercial syndication.

Alright, overall this is kind of what I thought, thanks for the confirmation! Ideally I'd apply as "commercial" and air commercial advertisements, but also would gladly take donations/be nonprofit. Just however we could get funding.

Re: syndicated commercials, yeah, I can see how an NPR station thus couldn't run such programming.

This station would be unique in many ways, but being it would likely in many parts of its coverage area be the only FM signal available I think people would put up with a unique format.

I think revenue will be the big issue. I know of a station in a town of about 1,000. It is the only station around. The community has a good deal of retail businesses and enjoys tourism as well. The local station brought in just under $80,000 in Underwriting and Donations per their 2016 statement. They need almost 3 times that amount to operate. Another station run by volunteers does about $28,000 a year from a population served of about 2,000. Both are in remote locations.

Going for a commercial frequency could cost you a huge amount of money to win. You can imagine there will be some ministries wanting to use the frequency for themselves. The equipment is not cheap and the logistics of operating a station is extensive.

Between you and me, I'd start small and see how it goes. Non-commercial would be the easier route. If the idea works and the funding is there, you can expand either with translators or wattage increase.

If the idea works and the funding is there, you can expand either with translators or wattage increase.

You don't have to wait to ascertain the potential funding sources. You say the area is "well traveled," but that doesn't mean anything for funding. That will be based on the local residents. An advertiser isn't interested in buying transients, and you're not going to get a lot of donations from non-residents. In other words, there could be a good reason why there aren't many stations in your area.

Funding would definitely be a big one, but being a spread out area advertising from many other businesses within the coverage area that locals would frequent might bring in a fair amount of money...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom