• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHSH and KJVA on same frequency within a few miles apart. How can this be?

34james

Frequent Participant
Just wondering how in the world 2 100 watt radio stations 2 cities apart from each other can broadcast on the same frequency that being Redlands and San Bernardino? I looked at radiolocator and it boggled my mind. I thought the FCC, Had spacing limits to keep radio stations from interfering with each other, even low power ones on the same frequency. Big A or David E am i right or wrong on this?

Last edited:
Just wondering how in the world 2 100 watt radio stations 2 cities apart from each other can broadcast on the same frequency

Are you sure they don't have a frequency sharing agreement? I know of several stations that operate that way. One station is on for 12 hours, then they sign off, and the other station signs on.

Are you sure they don't have a frequency sharing agreement? I know of several stations that operate that way. One station is on for 12 hours, then they sign off, and the other station signs on.

The towers are different with the red contours so i dont think so. The contours have a different area and shape.

Yeah I checked. The tower heights are both different. So if they had a sharing agreement it would be on the same tower. Not separate towers.

Listening to KJVA on tunein. They are broadcasting now. I'll check tomorrow morning to see if Calvary chapel is on. If not it's not mutual sharing. Because Calvary chapel Redlands doesn't have a playable stream on tune in or website to livestream

Just wondering how in the world 2 100 watt radio stations 2 cities apart from each other can broadcast on the same frequency that being Redlands and San Bernardino? I looked at radiolocator and it boggled my mind. I thought the FCC, Had spacing limits to keep radio stations from interfering with each other, even low power ones on the same frequency. Big A or David E am i right or wrong on this?

LPFM to LPFM separation is 15 miles between transmitter sites. One is SSW of Redlands, the other is NNW of San Bernardino. They overlap, but not in excess of the rules.

Remember, these are 100 watts at 100 feet. The coverage should only be of quality for perhaps 7 or 8 miles.

Yeah I checked. The tower heights are both different. So if they had a sharing agreement it would be on the same tower. Not separate towers.

There are, historically, many instances of stations that share a frequency in the same location that have different transmitter sites. I believe that the three Chicago stations that used to share 1240 had 3 separate transmitter sites.

For example, 88.3 is shared by two stations in Phoenix by KNAI and KPHF, but each has its own transmitter site.

WFDU/Teaneck, NJ and WNYU/New York frequency share on 89.1 and transmit from completely different locations.

[QUOTEw=DavidEduardo;6171890]

LPFM to LPFM separation is 15 miles between transmitter sites. One is SSW of Redlands, the other is NNW of San Bernardino. They overlap, but not in excess of the rules.

Remember, these are 100 watts at 100 feet. The coverage should only be of quality for perhaps 7 or 8 miles.
[/QUOTE]

Alright I didn't know. But for those listeners it must be frustrating that there is that overlap and the overlap areas fight each other. Calvary chapel Redlands is not online so they have to rely on the station for listeners. They got to be frustrated by that fact.

They got to be frustrated by that fact.

Hopefully whoever advises them told them how limited the "neighborhood" coverage of an LPFM would be in reality. Other than small towns, LPFMs were never intended to serve full metro areas.

Unfortunately, there have been organizations that promoted LPFM stations to possible applicants with hyperbole and coverage exaggeration. Those operators have to be disappointed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom