• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBAI possible bankruptcy

I am not a fan of classical music, but I hope the WNYC Foundation has the money to buy the 99.5 frequency and move WQXR there and sell 105.9. In all actuality I predict that EMF gets 99.5 FM.
In the end there will be WINS FM 99.5 and WBAI would finally close down.

What would be some other marketable assets Pacifica could use to pay off debt?

That's an interesting question. A few years ago, they were investigating monetizing their archives. One possible solution would be to take a mortgage out on some of their properties. I believe their HD subchannels are all still available for rent. Just a few quick thoughts.

That's an interesting question. A few years ago, they were investigating monetizing their archives. One possible solution would be to take a mortgage out on some of their properties. I believe their HD subchannels are all still available for rent. Just a few quick thoughts.

Do you think Pacifica would consider selling one of the other stations? Houston maybe? I can see where they would not want to sell NYC or DC but I don't really see where a market like Houston would be considered mission critical. Thoughts?

CBS/Entercom will finally consolidate news programming on WCBS just like what happened to KFWB and KNX in Los Angeles.

The consolidation happened in LA in part because there were not enough shares in the market for two newsers. In NYC, both stations are in the top 5 in billings.

Both are in the top 10 billing radios stations in the entire USA, too.

If -- and that's a big IF -- Entercom ends up with 99.5 and wants to put one of the news stations on it, which one should it be? 99.5 has a pretty major signal. Typically, WINS does much better within NYC. WCBS (whose call letters will eventually have to change) does much better in the 'burbs. Which one goes on 99.5?

Entercom has already hit the limit in the New York market. They could not legally add 99.5 to their group.

Entercom has already hit the limit in the New York market. They could not legally add 99.5 to their group.

Entercom will have 4 FM and 3 AMs, and can likely add another FM. In that market, the cap is 8 stations, and no more than 5 in either service.

Entercom will have 4 FM and 3 AMs, and can likely add another FM. In that market, the cap is 8 stations, and no more than 5 in either service.

Yes. This is one of the advantages to splitting the radio stations from CBS. The ownership limits are based on the number of services, including TV stations. Once the CBS TV stations are not included, the limits on radio stations changes. If I remember correctly, CBS had to get a waiver to add the 4th FM. Now that's not a problem.

"In markets with at least 20 independently owned “media voices” (defined as full power TV stations and radio stations, major newspapers, and the cable system in the market) an entity can own up to two TV stations and six radio stations (or one TV station and seven radio stations)"

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom