WBAI possible bankruptcy - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WBAI possible bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNYC View Post
    I am not a fan of classical music, but I hope the WNYC Foundation has the money to buy the 99.5 frequency and move WQXR there and sell 105.9. In all actuality I predict that EMF gets 99.5 FM.
    In the end there will be WINS FM 99.5 and WBAI would finally close down.

Quote Originally Posted by TVCOOL View Post
    In the end there will be WINS FM 99.5 and WBAI would finally close down.
    CBS/Entercom will finally consolidate news programming on WCBS just like what happened to KFWB and KNX in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    What would be some other marketable assets Pacifica could use to pay off debt?
    That's an interesting question. A few years ago, they were investigating monetizing their archives. One possible solution would be to take a mortgage out on some of their properties. I believe their HD subchannels are all still available for rent. Just a few quick thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    That's an interesting question. A few years ago, they were investigating monetizing their archives. One possible solution would be to take a mortgage out on some of their properties. I believe their HD subchannels are all still available for rent. Just a few quick thoughts.
    Do you think Pacifica would consider selling one of the other stations? Houston maybe? I can see where they would not want to sell NYC or DC but I don't really see where a market like Houston would be considered mission critical. Thoughts?

Actually I think the Houston station is likely the best performing of the group.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KTN Corp View Post
    CBS/Entercom will finally consolidate news programming on WCBS just like what happened to KFWB and KNX in Los Angeles.
    The consolidation happened in LA in part because there were not enough shares in the market for two newsers. In NYC, both stations are in the top 5 in billings.

Both are in the top 10 billing radios stations in the entire USA, too.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    Do you think Pacifica would consider selling one of the other stations?
    As I said earlier, they have lots of other options that don't involve selling any stations.

If -- and that's a big IF -- Entercom ends up with 99.5 and wants to put one of the news stations on it, which one should it be? 99.5 has a pretty major signal. Typically, WINS does much better within NYC. WCBS (whose call letters will eventually have to change) does much better in the 'burbs. Which one goes on 99.5?

Entercom has already hit the limit in the New York market. They could not legally add 99.5 to their group.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceNYC View Post
    Entercom has already hit the limit in the New York market. They could not legally add 99.5 to their group.
    Entercom will have 4 FM and 3 AMs, and can likely add another FM. In that market, the cap is 8 stations, and no more than 5 in either service.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast