• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBAI possible bankruptcy

From Tom Taylor's Radio Now:

After losing a court decision, the Pacifica Foundation could face a Chapter 11 situation.
Here’s what WBAI New York/99.5 says on its front page – “More than $1.8 million. That's the amount WBAI and the Pacifica Foundation need to raise immediately. That’s because Judge Gerald Lebovits decided against WBAI and the Pacifica Foundation in its dispute with the Empire State Realty Trust over rent being charged to house our transmitter in the Empire State Building.” ESRT sued Pacifica last November for back-rent and fees. Pacifica argued that it was being radically over-charged (August 9 NOW). Now Pacifica’s up against it after the judge’s summary decision in favor of Empire State. NOW has the memo to staff from Pacifica Executive Director Bill Crosier – “Here's the news from court in NY - not good...I don't want to scare away donors in our fund drives with the word bankruptcy, but people need to know what when/if we go into bankruptcy (more likely now), it will be Chapter 11 bankruptcy (look it up), in order to continue operating. It will NOT mean that we'd shut down.” Crosier says “Chapter 11 brings with it additional problems but would stop collection efforts by ESRT and allow us to keep operating while we develop a plan to pay off the debts.” Progressive Pacifica Foundation operates in multiple large markets, and some kind of sale or swap involving commercial-band WBAI could solve a lot of its chronic financial problems. Stay tuned.

(Sorry, had to copy and past. There's no link for Tom's newsletter.)

So, if Pacifica needs to swap out their commercial band frequency for something, what do you think will happen? What NYC non-com would be willing to give up their signal? Which mega company would end up with 99.5?

Let the speculation begin!

So, if Pacifica needs to swap out their commercial band frequency for something, what do you think will happen?

That doesn't appear to be their course of action. From the quotes in the story, they will go to Chapter 11, which doesn't mean liquidation.

So, if Pacifica needs to swap out their commercial band frequency for something, what do you think will happen? What NYC non-com would be willing to give up their signal? Which mega company would end up with 99.5?

Let the speculation begin!

One option, if Cumulus can come up with a little cash, is to swap with Nash. Cumulus gets the better signal, and Pacifica would still be on a Class B and likely get enough cash from such a deal to get out of the back rent obligation. They would also get a much lower cost transmitter site in Jersey.

I expect EMF to step in.

It likely would not be Chapter 7... it appears that a Chapter 11 move would get the ESB off their backs while the do something.

"Do something" in the world of Pacifica will, of course have a different and lengthy meaning.

They would also get a much lower cost transmitter site in Jersey.

However, they just dealt with the expense of moving to Times Square. And I'm sure they feel they need the more central antenna location for reaching their core. Whatever that is. My sense is they aren't even considering options that involve trading 99.5. They have so much heritage tied up with that dial position, any change would be a loss.

I say nothing is going to happen. We had decades of scandals hitting Pacifica Radio and we made assumptions every time that the O&O's and Network of Pacifica are going to fall down soon and we've been proven wrong every time.

Looks like WBAI will become a K-Love station.

Only after all the alternatives, including Chapter 11, are exhausted. That could take years and years.

However, they just dealt with the expense of moving to Times Square. And I'm sure they feel they need the more central antenna location for reaching their core. Whatever that is. My sense is they aren't even considering options that involve trading 99.5. They have so much heritage tied up with that dial position, any change would be a loss.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe that move has taken place. It’s just a construction permit.

I say nothing is going to happen. We had decades of scandals hitting Pacifica Radio and we made assumptions every time that the O&O's and Network of Pacifica are going to fall down soon and we've been proven wrong every time.

Exactly. We go through this same discussion every 6 months and the result is always the same.

yes, this would be Chapter 11, not 7, but that still could mean that they are forced to make changes to how they operate (meaning find someone to swap to a lesser signal.) It's not a "get out of jail free" card. I definitely like David Edwardo's idea of a swap with Cumulus, but given their financial woes, that's not likely. Move WKTU to that signal! I can't hear 103.5 well in central NJ. :)

yes, this would be Chapter 11, not 7, but that still could mean that they are forced to make changes to how they operate (meaning find someone to swap to a lesser signal.)

There is absolutely nothing in Chapter 11 that would require them to "swap to a lesser signal."

You really think KTU's owner is in better shape than Cumulus?

They could be forced to do SOMETHING to pay their bills. If they have no money at all, the courts could refuse the Chapter 11. Just because you file for bankruptcy (11) doesn't mean you get out of paying all your bills.

(The WKTU swap was just a fantasy.)

If I swap were to happen, face it: swapping with Nash won't work because Cumulus is in deep financial trouble. And WKTU couldn't happen because iHeart has the same problem. The only other potential swaps might be something as crazy as the new CBS/Entercom putting WCBS or WINS on 99.5 FM. Pacifica would get a good AM signal out of it. Who else already in NYC is stable financially with an under-performing signal (not format, but signal)?

yes, this would be Chapter 11, not 7, but that still could mean that they are forced to make changes to how they operate (meaning find someone to swap to a lesser signal.) It's not a "get out of jail free" card. I definitely like David Edwardo's idea of a swap with Cumulus, but given their financial woes, that's not likely. Move WKTU to that signal! I can't hear 103.5 well in central NJ. :)

Why would anyone pay a lot of money to get coverage outside the NYC market, where there is no revenue gain?

Who else already in NYC is stable financially with an under-performing signal (not format, but signal)?

This is only over a 1.8 million dollars. There are lots of other valuable assets within Pacifica to settle this debt other than swapping signals.

I am not a fan of classical music, but I hope the WNYC Foundation has the money to buy the 99.5 frequency and move WQXR there and sell 105.9. In all actuality I predict that EMF gets 99.5 FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom