• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.5 FM History

It's funny how the wiki don't talk about it started at KFBK in 1947 for 31 years

All it talks about is Y-92,

KEAR lastest for about 13 years
KGBY lastest 20 years

So they skipped over KFBK in '47 & KEAR in '78

It's funny how the wiki don't talk about it started at KFBK in 1947 for 31 years

KGBY lastest 20 years

That's the great thing about Wikipedia.

Submit a change and get it included. :)

If I recall, KAER was also a country format for sometime back in the 80's, maybe late 70's. Then they switched to AC, continuing as KAER and eventually rebranded as Y92/KGBY. The rebrand gave 92.5 a more upbeat feel, as opposed to crosstown rival KYMX which seemed to lean softer AC. For a short period, there was even a 3rd AC competitor, KXOA (K-108).

I remember KGBY as a very popular station in the early-mid 90's, with great air talent. I know there are many vets on this board that have "done time" at 92.5 over the years, in one way or another.

Funny how 92.5 returned somewhat to its roots in recent history, dropping Y92 for a KFBK-FM simulcast, and eventually back to country as it currently is. Full circle, I guess.

Before it was country in the early 80s, it was elevator music similar to KCTC (now KYMX) and KEWT (now KNCI, Country 105.1). I think before that it was classical, which the McClatchy family ran for many years at a loss just because they liked classical music. When they finally gave up on that, the record library was donated to non-profit KXPR which was just starting out.

It seems this attempt at country hasn't been doing well in the ratings, in fact they seem to be the LOWEST-rated English-language music station in the area with 2 other country stations beating them. Hope they try something new and different eventually.

It seems this attempt at country hasn't been doing well in the ratings, in fact they seem to be the LOWEST-rated English-language music station in the area with 2 other country stations beating them. Hope they try something new and different eventually.

I always wondered how Sacramento could support 3 country stations. But I think it's just a matter of covering that profitable base for each company. Iheart has to have one, Entercom has to have one, and Entravision doesn't really know what to do with theirs - except it bills so well they won't change either. But yeah, it would be nice to hear something besides the same 50-odd songs on 3 different stations.

Dave B.

KGBY lastest 20 years

What about KFBK AFTER My92.5 and before the Bull, is that mentioned?

It be nice to have one sprinkling in a few gold cuts from the 80’s and 90’s. Might be the age thing here but I found myself sticking more to the country stations in that period. The current form of country is way to in-your-face pop sounding. The material just doesn’t having the sticking power it once did. Just an observation. Your mileage may very. I can say the same for Top-40 but ‘fraid I may sound too much like that “get off my lawn” old guy! ;-)

For a short time? K108-KXOA-FM was the dominant AC station in Sacramento from the mid 70's though early 90's.

You're absolutely right. KXOA had such a long history as an AC, But I was thinking of that period in early 90's when there were all 3 AC's (once KCTC became KYMX). A few years later KXOA flipped to Arrow 108.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom