Who will record the last 24 hours of the sounds existence? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 94

Thread: Who will record the last 24 hours of the sounds existence?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    Or maybe they could play a day or two's worth of nothing but Tom Petty on the way out. Both American rockers of similar stature, but the Tom Petty angle would make it more relevant in a timely sort of way.
    In my opinion, I would consider a station playing songs by only one artist as a stunt format leading to that station launching its new format, and not for closing out a station's previous format.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    10,443
    From one old-timer to another, I remember the last hours of Super CFL.



    Quote Originally Posted by WorldFamous View Post
    You're young so I'll cut you some slack. No doubt, my reply hearkened back to a time long before you -- or perhaps even your parents -- were born. As I prefaced (attempting to play off the religious future of "the Sound"), "whoever has ears to hear" -- in other words, those who might understand and remember the historic radio format change I was referring to. In 1976, legendary Top 40 radio station WCFL Chicago switched to beautiful music. In the weeks before, WCFL aired ads for former competitors wanting to pick up the abandoned Top 40 audience WCFL was leaving behind. I believe it was WCFL midday person Bob Dearborn who called those radio stations "vultures". The final 15 minutes of the sign-off was hosted by the late Larry Lujack, who had promoted the idea that he would announce his choice for which "vulture" radio station WCFL listeners should tune to. His announced choice was KHJ Los Angeles. Followed by a mock plea for Top 40 listeners to remain as new beautiful music listeners. He then played a clip of the Ronstadt song I mentioned before playing a 'CFL specific version of Reunion's "Life is a Rock". Perhaps the board is too L.A. centric to know the story, or as in your case, too young. Either way, it clearly fell on deaf ears. Sorry for the diversion.

    In case anyone is interested, audio of the Top 40 WCFL sign-off is at https://youtu.be/c_PEjXMp54M "Get your clothes off and get in the tub"!

  3. #23
    Starting monday October 23rd at 6am A To Z on 100.3 and let see it gets before EMF Pulls the plug

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    Link to LAIST article posted by The Sound to their own Facebook page: http://laist.com/2017/09/28/1003_the_sound.php

    Sound Program Director Dave Beasing says that since they'll have at least 30 days (and up to 45 days maximum) to say goodbye (as David E posted earlier),
    special programming could be in the offing, such as A to Z, Roll The Dice, guest DJ appearances (such as Mark Thompson, for example).

    Since the transaction's announcement was made on Tue. Sept. 26, that would make for
    The Sound's sign-off date being somewhere between Thu. Oct. 26 and Fri. Nov. 10, 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    Some more information and detail is included in this InsideRadio article where PD Dave Beasing lays out the calendar of events
    lined up for The Sound's swan song over the next few weeks:

    http://www.insideradio.com/free/l-a-...0399975cf.html
    Even more specific info on The Sound's schedule of events plus station and DJ contact info:

    http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...l-music-featur

  5. #25
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    420
    As this thread is entitled "the sounds existence" I have a question for its P1 listeners: What changes happened with the ownership change from Bonneville to Entercom? For example, Bonneville has a a morality approach for its music stations, with a selection of songs they do not deem OK are not allowed to be played on their stations, even if the song is a core part of that format's identity in other markets. So how did KSWD perceptibly change/evolve after its corporate ownership change?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    As this thread is entitled "the sounds existence" I have a question for its P1 listeners: What changes happened with the ownership change from Bonneville to Entercom? For example, Bonneville has a a morality approach for its music stations, with a selection of songs they do not deem OK are not allowed to be played on their stations, even if the song is a core part of that format's identity in other markets. So how did KSWD perceptibly change/evolve after its corporate ownership change?
    Well I don't know about specific songs, but I can tell you that the Sound started rockin' hard for all of about a day and half in the lead-up to their first KMET weekend in July 2009. I remember the DJ, (pretty sure it was Andy Chandley, but I could be wrong) on the afternoon before the KMET day started, playing "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest and then crowing about it afterwards on the back announce "Can you believe it, yes, that was Judas Priest on The Sound!". Never heard it before or since on the station.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    Well I don't know about specific songs, but I can tell you that the Sound started rockin' hard for all of about a day and half in the lead-up to their first KMET weekend in July 2009. I remember the DJ, (pretty sure it was Andy Chandley, but I could be wrong) on the afternoon before the KMET day started, playing "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest and then crowing about it afterwards on the back announce "Can you believe it, yes, that was Judas Priest on The Sound!". Never heard it before or since on the station.
    You've Got Another Thing Coming was also the last song on 97.7 in Boston before breaking away from the 107.3 simulcast and flipping to Urban AC, a month before the CBS Radio-Entercom merger was announced.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The LBC
    Posts
    1,222
    I think the honest answer to the original question of "Who will record the last 24 hours of The Sound's existence?" falls squarely upon the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with.

    I bought into their marketing hype for about 10 seconds under Bonneville's operation when they made a weak half-assed attempt to create a AAA oriented station, but bolted on the concept in less than 2 months and became the next Arrow 93 insofar as absorbing their laid off DJs as well.

    The Sound will go out much like it came in, not with a bang but with the texture and consistency of a wet fart.

    The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably.
    None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note.

    100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was.
    And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.

    Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    Last edited by Robnoxious; 10-26-2017 at 05:50 AM.

  9. #29
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnoxious View Post
    ...the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with. The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably. None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note. 100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was. And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.
    Au contraire. Looking back to KIQQ, 100.3 was a hit maker machine, pushing alternative acts into mainstream CHR long before KROQ created the modern rock format America grew to love starting in the 80s. KIQQ had the let's get to it first "pick hit of the week" and was a hard charging CHR. It also attempted admirably to create a Drake style CHR after KHJ had lost its way. KQLZ also is well remembered for being experimental in a large market rocking kind of way. And for the last ~5 years KSWD has pretty much been ahead of KLOS in total audience share (12+) and there would have been no risk to its viability had the Entercom/CBS merger not created a one-station over limit issue, which BTW may be going away with the FCC's announcement this week of its plans to loosen broadcasting conglomerate caps.
    So I submit you should lather with some good soap to clean away your misconception about the heritage significance of the 100.3 spot on the dial in this DMA. :-)
    Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Ian Maclaren

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnoxious View Post
    I think the honest answer to the original question of "Who will record the last 24 hours of The Sound's existence?" falls squarely upon the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with.

    I bought into their marketing hype for about 10 seconds under Bonneville's operation when they made a weak half-assed attempt to create a AAA oriented station, but bolted on the concept in less than 2 months and became the next Arrow 93 insofar as absorbing their laid off DJs as well.

    The Sound will go out much like it came in, not with a bang but with the texture and consistency of a wet fart.

    The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably.
    None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note.

    100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was.
    And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.

    Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    Ouch! 3rd Degree burn, there. I've only heard The Sound briefly on trips to LA, but found it on the dull side. Bonneville has never been known for it's edgy or daring formats. In the Bay Area, their biggest station was "Light Rock, Less Talk." They tried a watered down version of Jack, called "Max FM," but it lasted about a minute and a half. Their third station here was a popular classical music station, but it was the K-Earth of classical music - tight playlist with a few hundred selections. It was the radio version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9u_7eSlTQ

    I used to love making fun of this commercial. Kind of K-Tel for classics.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us