• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who will record the last 24 hours of the sounds existence?

Or maybe they could play a day or two's worth of nothing but Tom Petty on the way out. Both American rockers of similar stature, but the Tom Petty angle would make it more relevant in a timely sort of way.

In my opinion, I would consider a station playing songs by only one artist as a stunt format leading to that station launching its new format, and not for closing out a station's previous format.

From one old-timer to another, I remember the last hours of Super CFL.

You're young so I'll cut you some slack. No doubt, my reply hearkened back to a time long before you -- or perhaps even your parents -- were born. As I prefaced (attempting to play off the religious future of "the Sound"), "whoever has ears to hear" -- in other words, those who might understand and remember the historic radio format change I was referring to. In 1976, legendary Top 40 radio station WCFL Chicago switched to beautiful music. In the weeks before, WCFL aired ads for former competitors wanting to pick up the abandoned Top 40 audience WCFL was leaving behind. I believe it was WCFL midday person Bob Dearborn who called those radio stations "vultures". The final 15 minutes of the sign-off was hosted by the late Larry Lujack, who had promoted the idea that he would announce his choice for which "vulture" radio station WCFL listeners should tune to. His announced choice was KHJ Los Angeles. Followed by a mock plea for Top 40 listeners to remain as new beautiful music listeners. He then played a clip of the Ronstadt song I mentioned before playing a 'CFL specific version of Reunion's "Life is a Rock". Perhaps the board is too L.A. centric to know the story, or as in your case, too young. Either way, it clearly fell on deaf ears. Sorry for the diversion.

In case anyone is interested, audio of the Top 40 WCFL sign-off is at https://youtu.be/c_PEjXMp54M "Get your clothes off and get in the tub"!

Link to LAIST article posted by The Sound to their own Facebook page: http://laist.com/2017/09/28/1003_the_sound.php

Sound Program Director Dave Beasing says that since they'll have at least 30 days (and up to 45 days maximum) to say goodbye (as David E posted earlier),
special programming could be in the offing, such as A to Z, Roll The Dice, guest DJ appearances (such as Mark Thompson, for example).

Since the transaction's announcement was made on Tue. Sept. 26, that would make for
The Sound's sign-off date being somewhere between Thu. Oct. 26 and Fri. Nov. 10, 2017.

Some more information and detail is included in this InsideRadio article where PD Dave Beasing lays out the calendar of events
lined up for The Sound's swan song over the next few weeks:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/l-a...cle_782b8ea8-a8d9-11e7-ba43-ab90399975cf.html

Even more specific info on The Sound's schedule of events plus station and DJ contact info:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...ound-waving-goodbye-with-special-music-featur

As this thread is entitled "the sounds existence" I have a question for its P1 listeners: What changes happened with the ownership change from Bonneville to Entercom? For example, Bonneville has a a morality approach for its music stations, with a selection of songs they do not deem OK are not allowed to be played on their stations, even if the song is a core part of that format's identity in other markets. So how did KSWD perceptibly change/evolve after its corporate ownership change?

As this thread is entitled "the sounds existence" I have a question for its P1 listeners: What changes happened with the ownership change from Bonneville to Entercom? For example, Bonneville has a a morality approach for its music stations, with a selection of songs they do not deem OK are not allowed to be played on their stations, even if the song is a core part of that format's identity in other markets. So how did KSWD perceptibly change/evolve after its corporate ownership change?

Well I don't know about specific songs, but I can tell you that the Sound started rockin' hard for all of about a day and half in the lead-up to their first KMET weekend in July 2009. I remember the DJ, (pretty sure it was Andy Chandley, but I could be wrong) on the afternoon before the KMET day started, playing "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest and then crowing about it afterwards on the back announce "Can you believe it, yes, that was Judas Priest on The Sound!". Never heard it before or since on the station.

Well I don't know about specific songs, but I can tell you that the Sound started rockin' hard for all of about a day and half in the lead-up to their first KMET weekend in July 2009. I remember the DJ, (pretty sure it was Andy Chandley, but I could be wrong) on the afternoon before the KMET day started, playing "You've Got Another Thing Coming" by Judas Priest and then crowing about it afterwards on the back announce "Can you believe it, yes, that was Judas Priest on The Sound!". Never heard it before or since on the station.

You've Got Another Thing Coming was also the last song on 97.7 in Boston before breaking away from the 107.3 simulcast and flipping to Urban AC, a month before the CBS Radio-Entercom merger was announced.

I think the honest answer to the original question of "Who will record the last 24 hours of The Sound's existence?" falls squarely upon the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with.

I bought into their marketing hype for about 10 seconds under Bonneville's operation when they made a weak half-assed attempt to create a AAA oriented station, but bolted on the concept in less than 2 months and became the next Arrow 93 insofar as absorbing their laid off DJs as well.

The Sound will go out much like it came in, not with a bang but with the texture and consistency of a wet fart.

The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably.
None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note.

100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was.
And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:
...the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with. The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably. None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note. 100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was. And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.

Au contraire. Looking back to KIQQ, 100.3 was a hit maker machine, pushing alternative acts into mainstream CHR long before KROQ created the modern rock format America grew to love starting in the 80s. KIQQ had the let's get to it first "pick hit of the week" and was a hard charging CHR. It also attempted admirably to create a Drake style CHR after KHJ had lost its way. KQLZ also is well remembered for being experimental in a large market rocking kind of way. And for the last ~5 years KSWD has pretty much been ahead of KLOS in total audience share (12+) and there would have been no risk to its viability had the Entercom/CBS merger not created a one-station over limit issue, which BTW may be going away with the FCC's announcement this week of its plans to loosen broadcasting conglomerate caps.
So I submit you should lather with some good soap to clean away your misconception about the heritage significance of the 100.3 spot on the dial in this DMA. :)

I think the honest answer to the original question of "Who will record the last 24 hours of The Sound's existence?" falls squarely upon the immensely small handful of people that can still cling to the faux belief that The Sound was doing anything different to begin with.

I bought into their marketing hype for about 10 seconds under Bonneville's operation when they made a weak half-assed attempt to create a AAA oriented station, but bolted on the concept in less than 2 months and became the next Arrow 93 insofar as absorbing their laid off DJs as well.

The Sound will go out much like it came in, not with a bang but with the texture and consistency of a wet fart.

The only remembrances I'll have of the 100.3 stick is of its changes throughout the years through KIQQ/KQLZ/KSWD notably.
None of which are by any means gold standard formatting examples to note.

100.3 was always just kinda there... nothing really ever special, even by the self-congratulatory toots of their former owners' horns that it was.
And the future of that nothing special will continue to live on at this frequency for many more years to come.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Ouch! 3rd Degree burn, there. I've only heard The Sound briefly on trips to LA, but found it on the dull side. Bonneville has never been known for it's edgy or daring formats. In the Bay Area, their biggest station was "Light Rock, Less Talk." They tried a watered down version of Jack, called "Max FM," but it lasted about a minute and a half. Their third station here was a popular classical music station, but it was the K-Earth of classical music - tight playlist with a few hundred selections. It was the radio version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9u_7eSlTQ

I used to love making fun of this commercial. Kind of K-Tel for classics.

Caught a bit of the Sound's "Final A to Z" Some good stuff, and as to be expected, since nothing is riding on ratings anymore, some playlist flexibility is being used (Thankfully!) and it has not been the usual sludge through the same 1000 songs they usually do.

What caught my ear is the fact now that they have had enough time to say goodbye to their audience (weeks - how often does that happen in radio?), they have developed a bit of humor about the situation. The bumper I heard said "The Sound. LA's best rock radio station - for now!"

Just announced: Bonneville will receive San Francisco's CBS Radio CHR “99.7 Now” KMVQ and Entercom AC 96.5 KOIT, Classic Rock “98.5 K-Fox” KUFX, and Urban AC 102.9 KBLX. Bonneville used to own KOIT; just as here Bonneville used to own KSWD. Why couldn't Entercom have entertained offering/selling KSWD back to Bonneville? I don't buy the wanting to sell to a non-competitor since in SFO, Sacramento, and Boston they just traded stations to other strong in-market competitors. Why there but not here?

Just announced: Bonneville will receive San Francisco's CBS Radio CHR “99.7 Now” KMVQ and Entercom AC 96.5 KOIT, Classic Rock “98.5 K-Fox” KUFX, and Urban AC 102.9 KBLX. Bonneville used to own KOIT; just as here Bonneville used to own KSWD. Why couldn't Entercom have entertained offering/selling KSWD back to Bonneville? I don't buy the wanting to sell to a non-competitor since in SFO, Sacramento, and Boston they just traded stations to other strong in-market competitors. Why there but not here?

Because it would be a stand-alome station with low billing. Not ideal for mega radio owners wanted high billing stations. They want multiple stations now. Not just 1. And this station as David E and BigA have said is 1 of the lowest billers around LA.

And

1. The advertising department has been shut down. They bill 3 to 4 weeks out.
They are now laid off
2. The live remotes are done. They are laid off, unless for some reason they think they can squeeze in a live remote Saturday. And they are still on air. Most, if not all their prizes are exhausted. And the only thing now they are doing is the final WXYZ of the A to Z playlist. Should have called Bonneville 5 months ago if you wanted them to come take over the Sound. Too late now.

Dont know could be end of the sound and goes intount until emf takes over

Although the FCC approved the sale of KSWD and the other two stations Entercom's divesting to EMF, they won't begin operating KSWD until the CBS Radio-Entercom merger closes as there aren't any LMA's involved with the sale.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom