• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who will record the last 24 hours of the sounds existence?

So with the Sound going away soon. Who will record the final bon voyage of the sound on-air for its final 24 hours as we know it?
Any takers?

It will certainly be interesting to hear how 100.3 The Sound will sign off before EMF takes over. As for KSOQ and WGGI, they will likely run sweepers redirecting listeners until those stations break off from their respective simulcasts.

"Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear."

The Sound can always sell ads to "vultures" wanting to pick up abandoned listeners. Then hype the last jock on the air giving an endorsement of which station listeners should officially tune to. Of course the payoff should be someone like WXRT Chicago. Just before he tells listeners to actually remained tuned to K-Love -- suggesting they'd enjoy it all the more while soaking in a bath tub.

Then finish it with a spin of Linda Ronstadt's "We need a whole lot more of Jesus and a lot less rock and roll".

Hot off the presses, the latest episode of LA Radio Waves (http://feeds.feedburner.com/LARadioWaves) released Wednesday, Oct 4 discusses the plans for the final days of 100.3 The Sound, courtesy of an interview with program director Dave Beasing. Dave chats about this rare radio opportunity to say "goodbye", by servicing the audience in ways that can't be done under current radio philosophies. Dave surmises how far into the upcoming extended version A-Z they will make it to before the plug gets pulled.
AND.....a former The Sound morning host is coming back to host a morning next Thursday. Not Mark, but Larry!

Then finish it with a spin of Linda Ronstadt's "We need a whole lot more of Jesus and a lot less rock and roll".

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin seems like a more fitting final song. Other examples of final songs I could think of include "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "The Final Countdown" by Europe, "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen, and "Fade To Black" by Metallica. I'll definitely be interested in how the on-air staff will give The Sound the best sendoff, and I expect all of that to happen shortly after Entercom completes their merger with CBS Radio.

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin seems like a more fitting final song. Other examples of final songs I could think of include "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "The Final Countdown" by Europe, "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen, and "Fade To Black" by Metallica. I'll definitely be interested in how the on-air staff will give The Sound the best sendoff, and I expect all of that to happen shortly after Entercom completes their merger with CBS Radio.

Or they could do a Sopranos-style exit so we don't stop believin'.

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin seems like a more fitting final song...

You're young so I'll cut you some slack. No doubt, my reply hearkened back to a time long before you -- or perhaps even your parents -- were born. As I prefaced (attempting to play off the religious future of "the Sound"), "whoever has ears to hear" -- in other words, those who might understand and remember the historic radio format change I was referring to. In 1976, legendary Top 40 radio station WCFL Chicago switched to beautiful music. In the weeks before, WCFL aired ads for former competitors wanting to pick up the abandoned Top 40 audience WCFL was leaving behind. I believe it was WCFL midday person Bob Dearborn who called those radio stations "vultures". The final 15 minutes of the sign-off was hosted by the late Larry Lujack, who had promoted the idea that he would announce his choice for which "vulture" radio station WCFL listeners should tune to. His announced choice was KHJ Los Angeles. Followed by a mock plea for Top 40 listeners to remain as new beautiful music listeners. He then played a clip of the Ronstadt song I mentioned before playing a 'CFL specific version of Reunion's "Life is a Rock". Perhaps the board is too L.A. centric to know the story, or as in your case, too young. Either way, it clearly fell on deaf ears. Sorry for the diversion.

In case anyone is interested, audio of the Top 40 WCFL sign-off is at https://youtu.be/c_PEjXMp54M "Get your clothes off and get in the tub"!

Does anyone care when a broadcaster like EMF takes over? No disrespect meant but "in most cases", it will just pop on with whatever is playing network-wide on K-LOVE. However, they may launch with a dedicated feed since it is Los Angeles. Pledge Drive will also determine this depending on when they sign on.

Anyone know when they're due to sign on?

Does anyone care when a broadcaster like EMF takes over? No disrespect meant but "in most cases", it will just pop on with whatever is playing network-wide on K-LOVE. However, they may launch with a dedicated feed since it is Los Angeles. Pledge Drive will also determine this depending on when they sign on.

Anyone know when they're due to sign on?

As far as I know, EMF will take over The Sound as soon as the CBS Radio-Entercom merger closes as there is no LMA involved with the sale.

Not really, because once EMF begins operating 100.3, The Sound will have already signed off for the last time.

I guess my question can be asked a bit vaguer.

Do people really care (like they did back in the day) when a station like "The Sound" goes off the air? I remember when KHQT signed off in San Jose. I was a huge fan and i listened to the very end, curious what would happen to the station once they "signed off". But that was in the early to mid 90's. Curious if people care as much 25+ years later?

I guess my question can be asked a bit vaguer.

Do people really care (like they did back in the day) when a station like "The Sound" goes off the air? I remember when KHQT signed off in San Jose. I was a huge fan and i listened to the very end, curious what would happen to the station once they "signed off". But that was in the early to mid 90's. Curious if people care as much 25+ years later?

I think even a lot of dedicated radio fans don't care that much any more because one of the once cool elements of the industry has largely been put by the wayside - stunting. Plus their is no drama, we all know what is coming next.

When KMET died at 12 noon on February 14, 1987 (not that I remember it that well or anything...) they had been running jockless for over a week with nothing more than these ominous bumpers counting down the days, then the hours between songs so everyone knew when the flip was coming. Then the flip came. First song off the bat from this new station was Sting's "If you Need Somebody, Set them Free". Well that song could have fit a lot of formats at the time including the discarded KMET - the tension was building... What will this new station be???... until a few more songs came on and it started to become clear that this was sort of a New Age station where Steely Dan,Enya and David Sanborne could feel right at home next to each other. It made for great listening, even if my favorite station was the one being killed off (as would later become the norm!) In this case, the stunt was the ominous countdown, not anything the new station did other than purposely play a few songs that would keep everyone guessing at the eventual format.

Actually that might be the answer for how the Sound should go out. The came in by playing nothing but Bruce Springsteen tunes for about a day or two as their stunt before they signed on. They should do the same thing when they finally get word that it is their time to go.

Actually that might be the answer for how the Sound should go out. They came in by playing nothing but Bruce Springsteen tunes for about a day or two as their stunt before they signed on. They should do the same thing when they finally get word that it is their time to go.

Or maybe they could play a day or two's worth of nothing but Tom Petty on the way out. Both American rockers of similar stature, but the Tom Petty angle would make it more relevant in a timely sort of way.

Or maybe they could play a day or two's worth of nothing but Tom Petty on the way out. Both American rockers of similar stature, but the Tom Petty angle would make it more relevant in a timely sort of way.
Tom Petty would be my choice as well..."Freefalling" out into nothing

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom