• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tom Petty dead at 66

Weird. The network news that airs on WNAM and KKOV reported he was on life support an hour ago but I came here and CBS News had reported he died.

Just now, the same newscast called his condition "very grave".

From TMZ:

1:35 PM PT — Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom’s hospital room. We’re told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he’s still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer’s death is inaccurate — the L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept. handled the emergency.

Nope...he is NOT dead. Conflicting reports from TMZ and CBS saying he's clinging to life in unknown condition. He better not back down! Pray, pray, pray!!

Nope...he is NOT dead. Conflicting reports from TMZ and CBS saying he's clinging to life in unknown condition. He better not back down! Pray, pray, pray!!

So far, so good. I'm glad I'm wrong as of now, but it is just a matter of time. If he lives, he'll be severely brain-damaged from lack of oxygen for a long time.

So far, so good. I'm glad I'm wrong as of now, but it is just a matter of time. If he lives, he'll be severely brain-damaged from lack of oxygen for a long time.

The back story here is our media is out of control. CBS, of all networks, advanced this fake news. It really is unacceptable. TMZ, as usual gets it right. Yes, Petty is not in good shape, but premature reports of death are completely out of line due to an effort to get the story first. I am sickened by this.

The back story here is our media is out of control. CBS, of all networks, advanced this fake news. It really is unacceptable.

Before you blame the media, they say they got the story from the LA Police, who later back-peddled. But if you can't believe the police, who can you believe?

From AP: CBS News released a statement maintaining that it "reported information obtained officially from the LAPD about Tom Petty."

Last edited:
The back story here is our media is out of control. CBS, of all networks, advanced this fake news. It really is unacceptable. TMZ, as usual gets it right. Yes, Petty is not in good shape, but premature reports of death are completely out of line due to an effort to get the story first. I am sickened by this.

CBS is hardly the only one guilty of this. CNN has scraped the bottom of that barrel for years. The problem is that Job One for a news operation nowadays is to be first with the story, not getting the story right. Updates (read: corrections) can come later.

The fact that the LAPD had no jurisdiction over this incident is important. CBS should have been aware of this. Also whatever happened to "two verifiable sources"? Apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

From "Statesman.com":

"An LAPD spokesman said in an interview Monday that its spokespeople did not respond to any incident involving Petty. Officer Tony Im said he could not rule out that someone in the department spoke to reporters, but said the LAPD has no investigative role in the matter.

Coroner's officials said Monday they have not received a report of Petty's death. Fire officials have said they responded to an emergency call for a man experiencing cardiac arrest on the block where Petty lives in Malibu on Sunday night, but could not confirm it was the rocker who was taken to a local hospital."

Last edited:
From the NY Times:

Independently of the CBS report, Variety also reported that Mr. Petty had died and later updated its article, citing the Police Department statement.)

OK, now it's official, from the LA Times:

Los Angeles Times‏

@latimes 3m
3 minutes ago

Tom Petty's longtime manager confirmed that he died Monday evening surrounded by friends, family and bandmates.

OK, now it's official, from the LA Times:

Los Angeles Times‏

@latimes 3m
3 minutes ago

Tom Petty's longtime manager confirmed that he died Monday evening surrounded by friends, family and bandmates.

RIP.

A great talent. My top three tunes listening to tonight: "Refugee", "Running Down A Dream", and "Learning To Fly".

An already somber day made even more somber. What a loss to the world. This is a very dark day in American history. May he rest in forever, loving peace. I suppose there will be (or already are) plenty of stations running non-stop Tom Petty as a tribute.

Waking up to the news here in the UK.

Wet eyes. Tom Petty was a real teenage favourite of mine. He wasn't really really big over here but I loved his songs at a time when UK music was just awful. Tom, Bruce S and Jon Bon Jovi were the soundtrack to many teenage nights.

Waking up to the news here in the UK.

Wet eyes. Tom Petty was a real teenage favourite of mine. He wasn't really really big over here but I loved his songs at a time when UK music was just awful. Tom, Bruce S and Jon Bon Jovi were the soundtrack to many teenage nights.

I actually read a UK obit and their headline was "Traveling Wilburys singer dead at 66" or something like that. Apparently he was best known there for the Traveling Wilburys side project (now 3/5 gone; George Harrison and Roy Orbison both passed away years ago and only Jeff Lynne (of ELO) and Bob Dylan are left)

SNL had a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers episode last night. Normally, they only do one of the musical performances, but since the obvious reason for airing the episode was Petty, they aired both performances.

It certainly wasn't for the comedy. Maybe it's just my opinion, but the comedy didn't do much for me. Not even "Weekend Update". Buck Henry was the host and they mostly talked about his lack of talent and invented a story about his saving Fred Silverman's life in Korea to explain his hosting 12 times.

at the end of last night's episode of The Simpsons, they had a "in Memory of Tom Petty" credit at the end of closing credit. he guest stared in a episode in the 2002-2003 season where Home when to Rock and Roll camp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom