• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

105.9 is simulcasting WNKR.

Not surprised. But personally disappointed.

Yeah, okay. Before the experts scold the has-been. I get it. Stick with what you know.

Just that what they know isn't what I listen to.

What they say is so nice, they have to say it twice.

So which station gets priority? Do they say it for Dry Ridge first, then Middletown?

Heck, why not delay Middletown by five minutes and tell the Dry Ridge listener "if you like this song, here it again on 105.9." It's E. Alvin's lateral replay for the 21st century.

Flipping between the two, 105.9 plays a song first and then it goes to 106.7. So 105.9 is getting priority over 106.7

Can't say I'm surprised either. I am a little concerned about the 105.9 signal, however. Ever since they signed on with the new format, the signal has been making its way as far south as Lexington at night and fights with WNJK (Nicholasville). I hope the new owners haven't gotten naughty and made an illegal power increase or something. Can't have a station that far away bleeding in over a semi-local.

KYradioJake,

While I struggle to pick up 105.9 where I live and work, I can often pick up 104.1 out of Portsmouth (especially when working in south Columbus.) What I noticed when WNKR was in ownership is that the audio level on both 105.9 and 104.1 seemed low. 104.1 was barely listenable if slight static was present due to the low audio. Since K-Love took over 104.1, it almost sounds like a local station to south Columbus, just the way it used to sound when it was still country WPAY. A little static here and there, noticeable static if there's a slight break in the audio. Not sure if that's the difference you're noticing or not?

Chad43358, It's funny you mention 104.1 because I have been regularly catching that station down here in Lexington as well. Ever since K-Love signed on at that frequency, it definitely does sound louder but also seems the signal is a bit stronger. Maybe it's because the audio is louder the signal seems stronger, like you mentioned. But as far as WNKN goes, I have never been able to receive that signal here before the new owners took over. It's strange, but I'm hoping that nothing has been changed in the way of any kind of signal upgrade.

I seem to recall that the new owner required that work on the tower happen before the sale.
Few regular listeners are going to be hearing both Dry Ridge and Middletown. We'll see how this works in Middletown, but 105.9 didn't go to a religious or corporate broadcaster.

Seriously doubt one is getting priority over another...I would venture to guess Dry Ridge has a bigger spot load than Middletown so as the hour goes on, Middletown ends up playing the song first. This is exactly how iHeart Premium Choice works.

Flipping between the two, 105.9 plays a song first and then it goes to 106.7. So 105.9 is getting priority over 106.7

Guys, both 105.9 and 104.1 were both operating under reduced power before the sale because of transmitter issues. These issues had to be fixed before the sale of each signal was complete, and they were.

Both signals should be running on full power now.

KYradioJake,
Since K-Love took over 104.1, it almost sounds like a local station to south Columbus, just the way it used to sound when it was still country WPAY.

Not surprised my understanding both had transmitter problems prior to sell (105.9 and 104.1) KLove don't mess around they would likely have installed their own processing - pretty much most KLove installs they ship in a rack of equipment pre-set from Rocklin and plug it into the transmitter. While people can gripe about how KLove does things they don't skimp on sounding good.

Not surprised my understanding both had transmitter problems prior to sell (105.9 and 104.1) KLove don't mess around they would likely have installed their own processing - pretty much most KLove installs they ship in a rack of equipment pre-set from Rocklin and plug it into the transmitter. While people can gripe about how KLove does things they don't skimp on sounding good.

Which in my opinion, is the way it should be. If you sound like you're broadcasting from a shoe box in a tunnel, it defeats the purpose of radio. You try to look good on TV, and sound good on radio. A few local low power Columbus stations should think about that.

I did get a chance to listen to 105.9 for a few minutes while traveling to Bellefontaine. Obviously encountered some static, but they sounded flat. Not much bass and nothing really "popped' out at me. But, that might be the best sound for classic country since they're covering a wide year range.

Which in my opinion, is the way it should be. If you sound like you're broadcasting from a shoe box in a tunnel, it defeats the purpose of radio. You try to look good on TV, and sound good on radio. A few local low power Columbus stations should think about that.

EMF isn't that great. They have been simulcasting WLW, along with the Air1 signal on 95.5 since the national EAS test a couple of weeks ago.

Don't get me started on how the LPFM's in Columbus sound... I get their LPFMs and budgets are tight but heck my internet only station running breakaway live sounds 100% better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom