• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NT Best Of Phoenix - no radio bests in 2017?

indieradioguy

Leading Participant
First BOP that I can recall in which there have been no Best's given for radio stations.

Accurate, or an oversight? It's a bit sloppy to not recognize 94.5 and 97.9 on the FM, at the very least - the obligatory 91.5 (in a non-radio category) goes without saying.

But no Best Hip-Hop Station? No Best Country Station? No Best LPFM? Where did all the radio categories disappear to?

Best translator: 92~Seven, because it sold for over $1m and has darned good coverage.

First off, when was the last time the New Times’ “Best Of Phoenix” was relevant? They gave “best sportscaster” to the most incohereant homer on the radio.

Plus, don’t sponsors pay to get recognized as “best of Phoenix?” That’s the only reason I can explain Harkins movie theaters getting recognized each year.

For years, the Best of Phoenix award was the kiss of death: whomever received the award was most likely to change format.

I'm not aware of any pay for play going on with the New Times BOP issue.

For years, the Best of Phoenix award was the kiss of death: whomever received the award was most likely to change format.

I'm not aware of any pay for play going on with the New Times BOP issue.

Yeah, unlike with *cough,cough* a certain glossy local publication filled with full-page ads for plastic surgeons and jewelers.

I took it as a statement about what and where they think radio is these days. They had a best morning show (Alt/AZ) and a couple of podcasts. And no, they aren't paid to pick and they're more socially relevant than most of us here. Not that I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Best translator: 92~Seven, because it sold for over $1m and has darned good coverage.

It needs just a tad more pow-pow-power to cover the East Valley.

Can you hook up a footwarmer to a translator? :)

I took it as a statement about what and where they think radio is these days. They had a best morning show (Alt/AZ) and a couple of podcasts. And no, they aren't paid to pick and they're more socially relevant than most of us here. Not that I think that's a good thing.

If the New Times could give Holmberg "best morning show" each year, they would. They just don't want anyone to think they're playing favorites. It's also a sad state in radio that they continue to give Ron Wolfley kudos. There are other sports radio stations in town, New Times, with better takes than Wolf.

Some of their picks over the past decade have been head-scratchers. Even though they're locally based, there are better choices for taking in a movie than any Harkins multiplex. Maybe they think the Alamo Drafthouse is too far in the boonies until they open their Tempe location.

Last edited:
Speaking of theatres, I thought the Pollack's Tempe Cinema was a strange pick. I'll have to trust you on the sports and the brew, but I did like the tribute to Ali.

It needs just a tad more pow-pow-power to cover the East Valley.

Can you hook up a footwarmer to a translator? :)

Perhaps someone from KSWG can come by and adjust that thing!

The general public could care less about those.
Everyone knows those "best of" things are a racket & based on whomever has the most co-workers & friends vote a zillion times....or the winners bought more ads in NT.

Speaking of theatres, I thought the Pollack's Tempe Cinema was a strange pick. I'll have to trust you on the sports and the brew, but I did like the tribute to Ali.

I haven't been there in a while but when the Madcap theater on Ray Road closed down several years ago Pollack bought their digital sound system and installed it in the Tempe Cinema. The chairs are still the older models but the sound will blow your ears off (in a good way of course).

NT Best of winners are not determined by reader's votes. They do show how the readers' preferences differ from the NT choices.

Last edited:
I haven't been there in a while but when the Madcap theater on Ray Road closed down several years ago Pollack bought their digital sound system and installed it in the Tempe Cinema. The chairs are still the older models but the sound will blow your ears off (in a good way of course).

The last movie we saw there was "Jersey Boys", the story of The Four Seasons, and it did indeed sound great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom