• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: September 2017

Well yeah it's nothing like what it used to be, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The pirates are really where the fun is.

I wonder if R1 would consider Harder Alternative and Hard Rock on two of their under performing properties, 103.9 and 107.9, 100.3 seems to be holding their own. They tried every conceivable urban format with little or no success. 104.5 and 93.3 are not as cutting edge as they could be.

I wonder if R1 would consider Harder Alternative and Hard Rock on two of their under performing properties, 103.9 and 107.9, 100.3 seems to be holding their own. They tried every conceivable urban format with little or no success. 104.5 and 93.3 are not as cutting edge as they could be.

That would only attract the Beavis & Butt-head types who now find FM rock in the market too wimpy. There is no advertising interest in that sort of station, except among the aforementioned pawn shops and bail bondsmen.

Is the rap/hip hop audience more civilized or more educated and spends more then the hard rock, metal or Alternative highly doubt it, so why are the advertisers after that type of listener. I don’t understand, what’s the difference between a rap and a rock listener. Non com alt/rock stations would be nice but the philly area has none, with the exception of 91.7 a few hours a week-not like other metros. Is it easier to sell advertising on a hip hop station with a 1.5, rather than an alternative with a 4.2, I still don’t get it.

Urban One has a disadvantage in that it is mostly "signal challenged" in Philadelphia. The stations that under-perform, though, can be packaged for sales and thus the cluster does OK.

Urban One has learned that doing non-African American formats is something they don't excel at so thinking they might do alt or metal is not likely. And such a format would really be a culture shock to their management team, just as asking me to do AAA would be unproductive! :eek:

I don’t understand, what’s the difference between a rap and a rock listener.

Urban radio listeners are very loyal to radio. They see radio as part of their community. We don't see that with alternative or metal fans. They are fans of their favorite artists, and don't care about radio. That lack of passion for radio translates to advertisers, who seek out other ways to reach that audience.

91.7 has more than a few hours a week of alt rock. They are alt rock practically all the time. However, you gotta factor some bad college radio hosts and their transmitter hum issue (which BTW has anyone else noticed that?!)

Urban One has a disadvantage in that it is mostly "signal challenged" in Philadelphia. The stations that under-perform, though, can be packaged for sales and thus the cluster does OK.

Urban One has learned that doing non-African American formats is something they don't excel at so thinking they might do alt or metal is not likely. And such a format would really be a culture shock to their management team, just as asking me to do AAA would be unproductive! :eek:

And there's a difference between AAA (as it's generally programmed) and hard rock/metal and "harder alternative." The former has at least some appeal beyond the Beavis and Butt-head crowd; the latter hardly any. SiriusXM has a couple of channels devoted to hard alt and metal. The presentation utilized on both indicates that the programmers there buy into the stereotype 100 percent.

Of course, SXM deals in stereotyping routinely. They have one voice talent who has a distinctly African-American sound. He seems to get plenty of work -- but only on promos for NBA Radio. Wonder why.

R1 is black focused. I doubt they would change their imaging.

Think of 1210 as if it were a rental office building. The owner knows that at some point in the future, he or she will have to remodel the lobby and hallways. They know that the AC will likely need to be changed and new technology will require rewiring for fiber or whatever comes next.

But for the moment, the building is fully rented, makes nice money and any immediate changes would likely annoy the current tenants and just cause needless expenses. The changes will, inevitably, come in the future. But for the moment, it is best to make money until such point that tenant demands require an investment in change... but not a moment before that happens.

So it is indeed best and highly prudent to wait. Way too many pioneers get shot.

David, this is the best explanation/analogy I've heard concerning an AM station. I think you're right on the money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom