• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM Sells Out

They had some long-time beloved businesses and stores advertise on their station. It really is sad to see them go.

BABICH. So help me Cele Peterson I wish you'd learn to speak proper Slovenian (or whatever it is).

Well, at least we got the "Dancin' Dan" part of his name right. Damn..must've posted at 4:20 again!

If you ever actually listened to KAHM, KKLD, KDDL et all, you'd know there is a huge
difference between them in handling "local" stories. For example, on cold, snowy,
icy mornings, KAHM and KYCA would announce that "ELKS HILL in Prescott is closed
to traffic in both directions," or "United Animal Friends is having a fundraiser at the
Prescott dog park, something you should know from calm, KAHM Prescott, 102.1
Yes, the other stations do mention MAJOR events here in town but only on occasion.
The teens radio seems to covet so highly have lots of disposable income...... They buy
cars, trucks, homes, land, etc, etc right??????

If there’s any consolation to this whole sale, it is certain that CCF will flip KYCA to another local owner and maintain their news/talk format. They’ll still be around for a while, thanks to the FM translator.

So if what you say was true, the years of Olson's, Roxie Webb, Galpin, Tim's, Findlay, Earnhardt, etc, etc, etc commercials didn't make the station viable, what did??????? How could any business continue for 35 plus years not making money to sustain itself????

It was on the downside of its life cycle, and likely no longer profitable... thus the sale. As has been said, the owner liked the format and did not like change...so it stayed the same long past its expiration date and his format had a "best used before 1990" label, so it was downhill for the last several decades, prolonged only by all the old seniors in the market. But even the listeners are for the most part gone, save for a few in those Del Webb communities in northwest Phoenix where KAHM was nice to listen to while watching the ambulance races.

And, excuse me, but Arizona was first a Native American nation (or group of nations) before it became a Spanish, and later, Mexican territory.

Let's use the term "Native American" correctly, which is, anyone born on the soil of The United States of America. That would include indigenous peoples living here once the former British colonies became a formal country but it would also include all those born on U.S. soil who are not members of indigenous tribes. The correct terminology for indigenous "Indian" people would be just that, indigenous. Canada calls them "First Nations" and that is also correct although most tribes were not nations in the modern sense and those in the USA still are not.

Heck, New York City had two stations in Italian through the late 50's... well into the third generation of the Italian migrations from the late 1880's through the beginning of WW I.

When I lived in the New York City area in the late 60's - early 70's there were significant numbers of non-English speakers and those who spoke other languages by choice (such as the Hasidic Jews of Queens). Even here in "whitebread" Phoenix I constantly hear other languages: Portuguese, Vietnamese, Thai, Hindi, Japanese, Chinese and Romanian in my own house - in addition to the much more common Spanish. The vast majority of these people also understand and speak English but some either don't or are uncomfortable speaking English. For instance, almost all the household workers, construction, landscapers etc., bring their little kids along on the job to translate for them. The guy who trims our trees has a six-year old who is fluent in Spanish and English and translates for his dad.

I know enough Spanish to get into trouble but my two cousins grew up in rural Arizona and could speak it quite well. They used to drag me to a Mexican cantina in which English was the foreign language. I learned several folk songs without knowing what they meant but no one took a swing at me so I guess I did good. It taught me that nothing bad comes of learning another language or culture and sometimes, like here in the Southwest, we actually celebrate holidays other than our own. I tend to get my Spanish refresh during the World Cup when we watch the games on a Spanish language network. Or, I can go down the street to the local taco shop and have lunch watching the novelas.

Let's use the term "Native American" correctly, which is, anyone born on the soil of The United States of America. That would include indigenous peoples living here once the former British colonies became a formal country but it would also include all those born on U.S. soil who are not members of indigenous tribes. The correct terminology for indigenous "Indian" people would be just that, indigenous. Canada calls them "First Nations" and that is also correct although most tribes were not nations in the modern sense and those in the USA still are not.

Your explanation is logical, but is not the way our government and our society makes definitions. "Native American" is defined as those whose race is all or partially related to the peoples who originally populated The Americas after crossing on the long-disappeared land bridge between today's Russia and Alaska and gradually migrated even as far south as Tierra del Fuego in South America.

The term "indigenous" is indeed generally used in Latin America. In both cases, the "new" terms were created to replace the term "Indian" or "Indio" which is historically inaccurate and politically incorrect in our society.

Both "Indígena" in Spanish and "Hispanic" in English are recently adopted terms. They were adopted to allow fair and enforceable equal employment and civil rights legislation in most of our Hemisphere. So, those of us who predate the terms need to adapt to newer usage.

It was on the downside of its life cycle, and likely no longer profitable... thus the sale. As has been said, the owner liked the format and did not like change...so it stayed the same long past its expiration date and his format had a "best used before 1990" label, so it was downhill for the last several decades, prolonged only by all the old seniors in the market. But even the listeners are for the most part gone, save for a few in those Del Webb communities in northwest Phoenix where KAHM was nice to listen to while watching the ambulance races.

I think we've hit that point where the majority of people in Sun City are those who bemoan the 80's on KOOL-FM but think that KAHM is too old for them.

If that station had any business on it at all, it would be buy the AM and get the FM free.

The rumors were that Riviera would claim the prize, and the KZON call letters were being parked for the acquisition.

What format was the potentially proposed 102.1 KZON rumored to have? (just curious)

Your explanation is logical, but is not the way our government and our society makes definitions. "Native American" is defined as those whose race is all or partially related to the peoples who originally populated The Americas after crossing on the long-disappeared land bridge between today's Russia and Alaska and gradually migrated even as far south as Tierra del Fuego in South America.

IF it could be proven that the so-called "Indians" of North America were the first inhabitants of this land I would agree but since we can't then it makes no sense to call them "original" or "first". They were merely "before us".

I was born in America. I am therefore a Native American. I cannot claim any other country on Earth, just these US of A.

Our gubmint is wrong in their nomenclature. Not the first time.

The term "indigenous" is indeed generally used in Latin America. In both cases, the "new" terms were created to replace the term "Indian" or "Indio" which is historically inaccurate and politically incorrect in our society.
I understand what you are saying but disagree. Trying to correct a "politically incorrect" term with another which is also incorrect is misleading and illogical.

Both "Indígena" in Spanish and "Hispanic" in English are recently adopted terms. They were adopted to allow fair and enforceable equal employment and civil rights legislation in most of our Hemisphere. So, those of us who predate the terms need to adapt to newer usage.

I understand why but do not agree and never will. The gubmint does not define the English language (or any other language for that matter).

IF it could be proven that the so-called "Indians" of North America were the first inhabitants of this land I would agree but since we can't then it makes no sense to call them "original" or "first". They were merely "before us".

I was born in America. I am therefore a Native American. I cannot claim any other country on Earth, just these US of A.

I understand what you are saying but disagree. Trying to correct a "politically incorrect" term with another which is also incorrect is misleading and illogical.

I understand why but do not agree and never will. The gubmint does not define the English language (or any other language for that matter).

Would you two please KAHM down! This is supposed to be about a Spring Valley rimshot being sold to a Phoenix non-profit that wants to run it as a commercial station because they've been airing commercials on their current non-commercial station in violation of gubmint rules and have gotten away with it for years because of political correctness, but even they now see the writing on the wall and are attempting to atone past sins and live in harmony with other non-native broadcasters.

Thanksgivingly yours.

Los Buckeye Boyz

Would you two please KAHM down! This is supposed to be about a Spring Valley rimshot being sold to a Phoenix non-profit that wants to run it as a commercial station because they've been airing commercials on their current non-commercial station in violation of gubmint rules and have gotten away with it for years because of political correctness, but even they now see the writing on the wall and are attempting to atone past sins and live in harmony with other non-native broadcasters.

Thanksgivingly yours.

Los Buckeye Boyz

Slow clap from a former Chandler/ Motorola engineer. :)

Actually, the government frequently defines language by creating household words and terms ranging from "food stamps" to "the Draft" to "Hispanic". Generally, it does so via laws or administrative policy in cases where precise definitions are needed for heretofore vague concepts.

Through the 1970 Census, persons of a Spanish and Latin American heritage with a present or past family usage of Spanish were not even broken apart in the data; most were included in the "white" category.

When legislation required enumeration of that group, there was no existing term that could be used. "Latin" would include everyone from the French to Romanians... anyone with a heritage involving the Romance languages that are based on Latin. "Latino", besides not being an English word, included anyone from Latin America, including Brazilians. "Spanish" was simply a wrong way of describing a group that included many with no Spanish heritage other than language.

So the OMB and the Census Bureau took an existing but arcane term, "Hispanic", meaning "Of Hispania", and redefined it to the original 1980 Census definition as being a cultural, non-race based group with a heritage of current or prior usage of the Spanish language from a country or region where Spanish was or is the predominant language. By virtue of appearing on every Census form and subsequent report, the term was accepted and is now the most common current usage.

Society adopts terms as needed. Baby boomers, yuppies, millennials, Gen-Xers and tweens are examples of demographic descriptors that have evolved into standard usage. Whether the government legislates a term or society creates or adapts one, language changes dynamically.

Not exactly. Young adults are far more likely to be influenced by advertising, while the older a consumer gets the less and less influence advertising has. This is due to both skepticism and established brand preferences. So stations with geezer demos like KAHM don't find much advertiser support.

Very Interesting..... How many times in this forum have I read that teens and young adults simply do not listen to radio anymore..... They stream music. The dilemma facing radio is that the older folks who like radio are, in fact, dying and the twist is that the younger people don't listen to radio at all. Finally, not everyone who listens to KAHM and similar music is 75 years old or older or dead. One reason I moved to Prescott was KAHM, that was 20 years ago. I was 35 back then and 55 now...... I know plenty of people in their 40's, 50's like me and older that listen. At our gym, I see plenty of young people working out.... I don't think I've ever seen one listen to any radio, period.

Very Interesting..... How many times in this forum have I read that teens and young adults simply do not listen to radio anymore..... They stream music.

Teens are not targeted by commercial radio as there are no ad budgets specifically seeking teens, just as there are essentially none seeking folks over 55.

Yet in the latest tabulation of Nielsen data teens listen a lot. And young adults listen even more.

In a book from this Summer in Phoenix, 91% of teens listened to the radio each week, and they listened an average of 6 1/2 hours a week. 18-34's did even better, with 92% listening weekly and the listening time averaging 9 hours.

The listening time is, of course, less than it was in the pre-new media era but is very significant and represents a very effective method of reaching young adults when combined with a multimedia ad campaign.

The dilemma facing radio is that the older folks who like radio are, in fact, dying and the twist is that the younger people don't listen to radio at all.

Were that true, we'd be in a different situation. As it is, the radio industry is pushing in different ways to use new media as one of its platforms. It's just a change in distribution, not in the nature of the industry.

Finally, not everyone who listens to KAHM and similar music is 75 years old or older or dead.

No, just 99.9% are. The format lost essentially all its 25-54 listening by 1990, so even a person who was 45 in 1990 (and among the few in their age group to listen) is now 73 years old. The 30-somethings of 1990 were definitely not listening to Percy Faith, Paul Mauriat and Mantovanni.

One reason I moved to Prescott was KAHM, that was 20 years ago. I was 35 back then and 55 now...... I know plenty of people in their 40's, 50's like me and older that listen. At our gym, I see plenty of young people working out.... I don't think I've ever seen one listen to any radio, period.

You are an exception. I programmed Beautiful Music (among other formats) starting in 1966 and even did a syndicated format that was on up to 87 FM stations in the early 80's... but I got out when the format fell off a cliff in the mid-80's and was long gone by 1990. So I know what was usual and what was an exception as I had a vested interest in keeping the format alive.

One thing many people fail to consider is what we call an over the air radio station can stream it's signal online. From all the data I have seen, the vast majority of online listening is to radio stations with an over the air signal. When you talk radio station, the listeners are those that listen on the device we call a radio as well as the device that receives the online version. It's not an 'over the air' versus 'online' but in a radio station's case, the combination of over the air and online listening.

My Dad was a heavy listener to Beautiful Music. He's in his 80s. I made a CD of beautiful music for him. He listened and thanked me but added it just didn't do it for him. He prefers the adult contemporary side of Top 40 from the 1960s and 1970s as well as country although classic country might be a better match for him now. I know he really likes Trisha Yearwood, Bob Seger, Barry White and Sheryl Crow. He might not be usual but being a fan of Beautiful Music until sometime in the 1980s, he isn't today maybe because the format vanished from his radio dial years ago.

My Dad was a heavy listener to Beautiful Music. He's in his 80s. I made a CD of beautiful music for him. He listened and thanked me but added it just didn't do it for him. He prefers the adult contemporary side of Top 40 from the 1960s and 1970s as well as country although classic country might be a better match for him now. I know he really likes Trisha Yearwood, Bob Seger, Barry White and Sheryl Crow. He might not be usual but being a fan of Beautiful Music until sometime in the 1980s, he isn't today maybe because the format vanished from his radio dial years ago.

If he has cable or satellite, they have music channels that air just about everything one can imagine. My 90-year-old mother listens to the Cox Big Band channel all the time. They still play music from the 1930s through the mid '60s, as long as the musician had been associated with jazz/Big Band music from that time frame.

What format was the potentially proposed 102.1 KZON rumored to have? (just curious)

I don't know. But back when Riviera changed the calls of KEXX to KZON, I was told the calls were being parked there because they planned to acquire KAHM.

That could have been completely false - or CCF made a better offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom