• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Daily Mail TV Screw up?

Screw-up in the programming of the automation. It's sad that most operations have no operators to oversee the on-air video switching.

I see so many things that make me want to scream. Weather and news crawls that are from the previous day ... video which has nothing to do with the news story which is being read by the anchor ....... GRRRR!

The world is full of people who don't do what they are supposed to do. Then they just keep right on going as they normally would to importune and inconvenience others. The best term for it is likely laziness.

I miss when there were real master controls and real MCO's (!!) in every market throughout this great country.

Now we throw it to Seattle, or Los Angeles, or even the Big Apple!! I have seen so many careless errors on local news and syndicated programs here in Yakima. Here's just some...
Rachael Ray's audio dropping out on KAPP for over 2 minutes two weeks ago, all you heard was 'BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ'...and NEVER cut off by a 'please stand by' bumper or technical difficulties message! None! Zilch! Then the audio magically appeared...
KIMA's news having their final weather report cut off 1 or 2x a month by a commercial on automation, mind you from Seattle. If Mike McCabe is still giving the five-day forecast at 6:27:30p, he gets cut off.
KCYU repeatedly interrupting Modern Family with a Fox test pattern a few months ago, only being cut off for commercials. The automation comes from three hours away and KCYU's building is practically unmanned except for sales. Sad!
About nine-ten months ago for about a week, the KHQ master control screwed up the KNDO 23 feed...and we all saw commercials for Yoke's Fresh Markets and other Kennewick retailers...oh and the TOH ID was 'KNDU-DT Richland'.
Around the same time there were weeks on end where KCYU aired the SECOND segment of Two and a Half Men reruns first, followed by the opening minutes.
Years on end where KAPP displays the WRONG calls for their Ellensburg translator. I should send them an email. It isn't 'K36BR'. DT 36 is empty in Ellensburg. It's K20JL-D, digital channel 20. Is that an FCC violation to air the wrong calls for a station? The ch 36 belongs to a KWGN translator in Fraser, CO.
Finally, too many news errors. The previous video package being aired for a completely different story. Mic errors all the time. Horrible 'green screen' sets (yeah, I'm talking to you KVEW/KAPP). Weekend anchors flubbing over word after word...mind you there's a teleprompter right in front of them, stories that are 2-3 days old being marketed as 'new information', etc. Enough to make me read the Yakima Herald.

This wouldn't happen as often if these stations still had master controls based locally. They didn't make as many mistakes locally, shows ran as they should have, and programs didn't start with another segment.

Last edited:
The world is full of people who don't do what they are supposed to do. Then they just keep right on going as they normally would to importune and inconvenience others. The best term for it is likely laziness.

Sorry. Crainbebo is correct. There is nobody watching the store. A local Master Control Operator would have seen the problem and corrected it before it hit the air. That was their job.
The problem is not laziness ... Stations no longer have a local 'quality control' person to watch the final on-air product. This is the result. Save money ... but at what cost?

You got it! An even more extreme example is KPTV in Portland. Nah, there isn't a master control there...it's at KPHO PHOENIX!! They used to be a well-known indie and everything was based locally...not anymore.

But what I wonder is whether a station displaying the wrong translator calls is a violation of FCC rules? The 'fake' channel 36 translator for KAPP-TV in Ellensburg is shown in top of hour IDs at least twice a day. Mind you they used to be on ch 63 analog...and even then they used the wrong letter. The real analog calls were K63BZ, but KAPP had used 'K63BR' in local IDs even back in the '90s. Digital channel 36 is NOT occupied in Ellensburg or any part of Kittitas County. This is what happens when you throw master control to KXLY and let them 'handle it'...

Screw-up in the programming of the automation. It's sad that most operations have no operators to oversee the on-air video switching.

I see so many things that make me want to scream. Weather and news crawls that are from the previous day ... video which has nothing to do with the news story which is being read by the anchor ....... GRRRR!

You're right on most counts. The crawls are indeed through Master Control. Even if the crawl system sent out something that's not right, a local operator would see it and do something.

The wrong video on a news story? Master control's not involved there. It's easy for someone to file video in place of an existing story--even after a producer or manager has approved what SHOULD be airing. There are a number of ways the wrong video can air and most of them involve a local person making a mistake.

Earlier this year on a Sunday once, I was watching Seinfeld episodes on KOKI FOX 23 Tulsa, from 11PM to 12AM. After the end of some (if not all) commercial breaks during the second half of the hour, the beginning of the episode was repeated. I think at one point, part of the previous episode that was aired during the first half of the hour, was repeated in the second half of the hour.

Kegan

Last edited:

Sorry. Crainbebo is correct. There is nobody watching the store. A local Master Control Operator would have seen the problem and corrected it before it hit the air. That was their job.
The problem is not laziness ... Stations no longer have a local 'quality control' person to watch the final on-air product. This is the result. Save money ... but at what cost?

Then someone was supposed to bring on a QC person and did not because of the cost inefficiency. Either way someone did not do what they were supposed to do.

I miss when there were real master controls and real MCO's (!!) in every market throughout this great country.
I work in Master Control at a small/medium station. Happily we are not hubbed. Our MCR is only unattended for about 3.5 hours during the overnight. Our staff actually cares about our on-air product and we work diligently to make sure things go without a hitch. Sadly, we are probably the minority in this market size.

That is awesome. In 2017, this is harder and harder to find. Most stations don't even have a master control anymore, just throwing it to another state and letting them handle 20 different big 4 affiliates at the same time. Having live master controls throughout the country = new jobs!

There was a time, not too many years ago when stations had, not only MCR operators ... they also had TelePrompTer Operators, Camera Operators, Engineers to shade the cameras, Chyron Operators, Technical Directors who actually 'punched-up' the various sources during live newscasts.
Such is not the case now. Automation has taken over the video switching. Anchors operate the TelePrompTer with a foot pedal.
All it takes is a single computer system to 'crash' and the entire system falls apart.
Get used to it. That's the way it is.

Wood TV's master control in Indy at Wish TV Lin TV moved master control in 2009 I think that is the only station that has done it. WWMT still has their master control they hub their former sister station ABC 53 WLAJ Sinclair never really wanted the Lansing Station had an agreement with Media General now Nexstar that controls ABC 53. I think Fox17 has master control maybe Tribune does hubs but I'm not sure just like WZZM maybe TEGNA has master control in GR.

I've seen his five-day forecast cut off a couple times in the past few months since they ran past the 5:27:30 or 6:27:30 cut off for KIMA's newscast feed. In fact they start airing a cut of their news music behind Mike's audio if he's still on the air...automation at its finest from Seattle.

Wood TV cut the feed of the Lions VS Steelers late in 4TH quarter on 3RD & 5 to an ad never knew what happen when it came back the Steelers had a 1ST down knew it was over. Don't like that when that happens in a close game.

Was that NBC or WOOD-TV itself? If the latter, jeers to them. I don't need a close game interrupted in the 4th by a stupid commercial!

Another error this morning, and this is common too:
KNDO running a promo for the NBC Kids E/I block. It's been over a year and a half since that block was replaced by 'The More You Know' with Journey with Dylan Dreyer, Wilderness Vet and a few other shows, yet they still run promos for it. False advertising. Surprised they're not running promos for other cancelled shows.
Oh, and KIMA's news yesterday showed the wrong video graphic for the second story of the broadcast. Who keeps screwing up in the back - a 14-year-old?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom