• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EAS test sounded totally f***ed on 95.7?

M

mikerichardson

I only caught the tail end of it but it sounded really slowed down and low-pitched. Sounded creepy as hell.

EAS test worked fine on Comcast Xfinity X1 box, except for killing about 20 minutes of a pause buffer I had (because they actually change your channel to another one that you can't change off of, which is also how the TiVo does it).

Does anyone know if they still actually blank out every channel? I had analog cable during the first EAS test several years ago. For a full minute, every channel was the EAS alert. Then, they screwed it up, and every channel was cable channel 2 (which is OTA channel 51, a spanish channel). I am guessing Comcast picked up the EAS alert from that channel somehow.

The entire Emergency Alert System mass-interruption warning-tone-blasts have waaay outlived their usefulness and desperately need responsible revision. I live in Spring but have Comcast programming interrupted repeatedly for weather warnings in La Porte, Richmond, or Friendswood 50 miles away. Changing the channel is fruitless. Comcast claims they are "powerless" to change anything because "the law" requires them to carry all such emergency announcements placed by the National Weather Service. No question that tornados and lightning storms can be dangerous, but there are numerous less-intrusive ways get the word out without the complete, lengthy takeover of broadcast airwaves. The only events suitable for the current system would be a nuclear incident or military invasion.

That alert tone is so damn annoying! LOL I've heard it sounding bad on many stations, almost like a low quality MP3 file.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom