• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom sale to EMF

I'm looking forward with cautious optimism, it will be interesting if some of the stuff I have been told will unfold and people can move forward.

As someone who no longer works in radio, the end of this merger and closing of deals will be interesting, though I remember waking up one morning in 2004, checking Radio and Records and finding out my stations had been sold to Cumulus. It was also my mother’s birthday. It was rather odd to be calling her and wishing her happy birthday, and, “Oh, by the way, my stations just got sold, and I don’t know if I'll still have a job when I go in this afternoon!”

Entercom is a pretty good company, but it will almost definitely cut a lot of positions, especially in management. CBS has tended to see multiple managers and locations in a market as features. Entercom tends to see those things as bugs. Entercom also tends to scrutinize budgets and promotions a lot more carefully. Despite Entercom being one of the better operators, one person I talked to who works at one of the stations being offloaded was looking forward to working for another operator, even not knowing who that operator would be. Sometimes, change for the sake of change is good, though probably not many CBS employees are thinking that way right now.

Mike again your sounding like a cheer leader that has no idea what they are cheering for. I recommend you work in radio for a few years, maybe even at an Entercom station to see how companies operate. There is good and there is WTF. Right now real people at CBS are going WTF, from Engineers to sales people that wonder if they will have a job after 2018.

If you look forward to people losing there jobs, making people wonder if they will have a job 3-6 months down the road, then you may have a wonderful career in radio management. Until you get a couple of radio jobs under your belt and experience what some of the CBS employees are felling right now. I have to ask what part are you looking forward to? The potential format changes or the cost savings through consolidation and people losing their jobs. It's inevitable that people will lose jobs with this merger, it's the way things are going. You come off sometimes sounding like your the broker doing the deal, waiting for your commission check and caring less about the people that may be impacted by this merger. I have friends that may be impacted by this, so do others on this thread and discussion board, so we/I have a different view than you, when you come across all excited about this merger. For some people this is a slow train wreck with a sad ending. Consolidation is inevitable and helps save money and the radio industry, but I don't look forward to the people losing work. I hope everyone lands on their feet.

I'm looking forward to the deal closing so people can move on with their lives. For some people that means no longer working in radio or finding another job in radio. For others it may open up their first job in radio. I think you need to add context to your enthusiasm for the deal. Whats at stake for you in this. Do you have any friends that think they may be unemployed when the dust settles on the deal? Are you looking at potential new job openings in the new company to start a career?

I'm looking forward with cautious optimism, it will be interesting if some of the stuff I have been told will unfold and people can move forward.

It could be worse. What you described is the 1,000 foot view. The 10,000 foot view is that the Radio division is bogging down the entire conglomerate's bottom line and could affect the company if this continues. Many more people on the TV side, from the broadcast network to the local station group, would have lost their jobs too without this divestiture.

Selling the division to somebody with a core competency in this field is a win-win for both sides; assets become liquid for CBS and Entercom can add more assets to their balance sheet to generate more profit (and employees not in overlapping markets should be able to keep their jobs). CBS wants to concentrate on TV on both broadcast and their news and sports competencies by growing Internet TV presence with CBSN and cable with the CBS Sports Network.

I find it interesting that CBS B stock has lost 20% of it's value since the merger announcement. All media stocks with cable interests have also suffered significant losses in their share price but wouldn't you think if this was such a fantastic move that share price would reflect it?
Another interesting detail...53% of the Entercom public float is short! There are a lot of people who are betting Entercom shares will go down in value. Remember...Entercom is already down 25% since the merger announcement, even with Joe Fields begging every broker he knows to push the stock to get values up.
For comparison...3% of CBS B stock is short. Less than 1% of Apple stock is shorted.
Leslie Moonves thinks he has a $100/share company. What do you guys think? The market doesn't seem to agree...
What about Entercom? Who is short and who is long on Entercom?

I find it interesting that CBS B stock has lost 20% of it's value since the merger announcement.

The problem with this deal is that CBS still owns 70% of the combined entity. If it tanks, as Citadel did after it bought ABC Radio, the stockholders stand to lose a lot. I recommended to sell when the deal was announced. That was the best time.

I just found out on Radio Insight's Daily Domains that Univision is planning to rebrand 5 of their stations as "Amor". Could this mean "Amor" is heading to 107.5 in Los Angeles?

No.

Amor is the brand for the Adult Hits format in the group... a blend of ballads and "light" regional Mexican. As different a format as, using an LA comparison, are Jack and My FM.

KLVE in LA used to be called "Amor" as in "K-Love, Radio Amor". The "Amor" part was dropped when KLVE became a rhythmic hot AC station.

Full disclosure: on three separate occasions over the years I was interim PD of KLVE.

No.

Amor is the brand for the Adult Hits format in the group... a blend of ballads and "light" regional Mexican. As different a format as, using an LA comparison, are Jack and My FM.

KLVE in LA used to be called "Amor" as in "K-Love, Radio Amor". The "Amor" part was dropped when KLVE became a rhythmic hot AC station.

Full disclosure: on three separate occasions over the years I was interim PD of KLVE.

I was predicting K-Love 107.5 is one of the 5 stations Univision plans to rebrand as Amor.

I was predicting K-Love 107.5 is one of the 5 stations Univision plans to rebrand as Amor.

KLVE is a rhythmic Hot AC station, and we booted the name "Amor" there over a decade ago.

Musically, K-love 107.5 is "Despacito" and not Julio Iglesias.

You really need to stop making assumptions that have no facts behind them.

You will know which stations when it happens, although a paywall site has theorized which markets will be affected via domain registrations: LA is not one of them, of course.

KLVE is a rhythmic Hot AC station, and we booted the name "Amor" there over a decade ago.

Musically, K-love 107.5 is "Despacito" and not Julio Iglesias.

You really need to stop making assumptions that have no facts behind them.

You will know which stations when it happens, although a paywall site has theorized which markets will be affected via domain registrations: LA is not one of them, of course.

Thanks for clearing things up about K-Love 107.5. It's just that I've seen people spreading rumors about this issue in the wake of EMF's purchase of KSWD who plans to bring their K-Love to LA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom