• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom sale to EMF

Well... mainly donor dollars (and they get a lot of those). They also have very good credit. Most purchases like this are financed.

So what happens when the "Rapture" comes and there are no Christians left to pay down the debt?

Seriously, how does EMF qualify as a religious organization when its stations play commercially released CCM songs distributed by for-profit record companies? There's no Bible study going on here, no preaching, just wall-to-wall music with feel-good DJ patter.

Seriously, how does EMF qualify as a religious organization when its stations play commercially released CCM songs distributed by for-profit record companies? There's no Bible study going on here, no preaching, just wall-to-wall music with feel-good DJ patter.

The issue for taxes and licensing is being non-profit, not being a particular format.

The EMF stations are non-profit, just as WFUV in the NYC area is non-profit; WFUV plays commercial rock records from for-profit record companies. In fact, no-profit classical music station also use for-profit commercial recordings, too.

The "preaching" is in the content of the music, just as it is with smaller contemporary Christian stations such as Orlando's WPOZ.

The big problem is that Univision already has a "K-Love"-branded station in Los Angeles. Most of Univision's Spanish AC stations use the "Amor" branding, so I could see Univision re-brand their K-Love station to "Amor 107.5" if they can reach an agreement over the K-Love branding.

The big problem is that Univision already has a "K-Love"-branded station in Los Angeles. Most of Univision's Spanish AC stations use the "Amor" branding, so I could see Univision re-brand their K-Love station to "Amor 107.5" if they can reach an agreement over the K-Love branding.

KLVE in LA used to brand as "K-Love Radio Amor". Radio Amor was dropped more than a decade ago as the format migrated to a rhythmic Hot AC position.

Univision really does not have any AC stations; the couple named "Amor" are really Hot AC stations with a rhythmic slant except for Chicago, which is a variant on the Recuerdo/Más Variedad Adult Hits gold based format.

Wow for now Los Angeles is off the list on where entercom must remove stations though.
The real drama comes down to how Entercom handles Sacramento and San Francisco stations and who do they remove off the list besides the old KDND.

Wow for now Los Angeles is off the list on where entercom must remove stations though.
The real drama comes down to how Entercom handles Sacramento and San Francisco stations and who do they remove off the list besides the old KDND.

Boston and Seattle are the other markets Entercom will need to divest stations. It will be interesting to see what Entercom will divest and to whom.

The issue for taxes and licensing is being non-profit, not being a particular format.

I never cared for the term, "non-profit."

"What? We made too much money? Let's give the big bosses a bonus! Let's spend more money on advertising! Let's buy more!" Check out all those commercials on TV for Shriners Hospitals or Wounded Warriors.

That goes for any type of non-profit, not just radio stations.

A lot of the TV spots for Shriners and WWP are no-cost PSA plays. I won't say they don't buy some ad time, because I don't know if that is the case.

A lot of the TV spots for Shriners and WWP are no-cost PSA plays. I won't say they don't buy some ad time, because I don't know if that is the case.

I HIGHLY doubt that. If they were PSA's, they'd be tagged that way. They are not. That includes SPCA spots, Feed the Children, etc. They PAY for those. It is likely cheep rates since they are on stations like ME-TV and Cozi, but they are absolutely paid spots.

KLVE in LA used to brand as "K-Love Radio Amor". Radio Amor was dropped more than a decade ago as the format migrated to a rhythmic Hot AC position.

Univision really does not have any AC stations; the couple named "Amor" are really Hot AC stations with a rhythmic slant except for Chicago, which is a variant on the Recuerdo/Más Variedad Adult Hits gold based format.

That's understandable. I could see the KLVE calls move to 100.3 and the KSWD calls move to 107.5.

I could see the KLVE calls move to 100.3 and the KSWD calls move to 107.5.

You may be half right. I see no reason why 107.5 would want the KSWD letters.

The interesting part is that both EMF and Univision have trademarked the K-Love name. Univision got the trademark first in 1998. EMF got it in 2010. Their trademark has exceptions:

"Registration Limited To The Area Comprising The Entire United States And Its Territories And Possessions, With The Exception Of The Following Counties In California: Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, Eastern Portions Of Kern County, Western Portions Of Riverside County, And San Diego County" (There are other geographical exceptions.)

So this is a trademark discussion that is taking place. What will it cost to get that exception removed? I don't know. We'll find out.

You may be half right. I see no reason why 107.5 would want the KSWD letters.

The interesting part is that both EMF and Univision have trademarked the K-Love name. Univision got the trademark first in 1998. EMF got it in 2010. Their trademark has exceptions:

"Registration Limited To The Area Comprising The Entire United States And Its Territories And Possessions, With The Exception Of The Following Counties In California: Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, Eastern Portions Of Kern County, Western Portions Of Riverside County, And San Diego County" (There are other geographical exceptions.)

So this is a trademark discussion that is taking place. What will it cost to get that exception removed? I don't know. We'll find out.

Entercom will also soon own KLUV in Dallas-Fort Worth. However, I wouldn't expect any divestitures in that market.

The KLVE call letters on 107.5 date back for more than 40 years. Redundant question: what possible reason would there be to change them now? The new owner has zero need for them. Just more fantasy football.

The KLVE call letters on 107.5 date back for more than 40 years. Redundant question: what possible reason would there be to change them now? The new owner has zero need for them. Just more fantasy football.

The bigger problem is the brand association. The good news is the audience for Univision is different than the audience for EMF. So if the brand name were to shift to another station, the content of that station wouldn't necessarily confuse the previous audience. Although that's probably part of the discussion that's taking place.

Some will argue that the use of call letters is archaic. K-Love certainly never uses them on-air. A call letter swap is needless. The discussion of one is irrelevant from the issue of brand.

K-LOVE uses the call letters on the local stations for the hourly IDs only, and usually they involve combinations of K, L,and V in order to fit the K-LOVE name.

Some will argue that the use of call letters is archaic. K-Love certainly never uses them on-air. A call letter swap is needless. The discussion of one is irrelevant from the issue of brand.

All of this "fantasy football" speculation will be over once the merger is approved and when the remaining divestitures are announced.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom