• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kfxm 98.3 fm

34james

Frequent Participant
They play great oldies from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. And Sunday morning they play classic country mid morning.
Funny thing is they will eventually run out of sponsors because of the age bracket they cater too. Mainly the 60's music crowd. Which most sponsors won't support.

Give KFXM a listen.
they play alot of great oldies.
http://www.kfxm.com

This is a low-power station north of Lancaster. Probably impossible to pick up in Los Angeles. Looking at the Radio locator contours, it barely even covers the Antelope Valley.

This is a low-power station north of Lancaster. Probably impossible to pick up in Los Angeles. Looking at the Radio locator contours, it barely even covers the Antelope Valley.

I think this was the station that Oldies76 liked a lot and recommended. I listened a few times online and enjoyed it, but kinda forgot about it. I will check it out again, time permitting.

I've listened to them from time to time and like them as well. They have a nice group of oldies, older and deeper than most. I'm very, very far away so I listen to their stream. I just wished they'd provide title and artist to their stream because sometimes they'll play something that needs ID-ing, at least for me.

I just wished they'd provide title and artist to their stream because sometimes they'll play something that needs ID-ing, at least for me.

Some might argue that if a radio station needs to identify an oldie, that oldie more than likely isn't well enough known to be played in the first place.

Some might argue that if a radio station needs to identify an oldie, that oldie more than likely isn't well enough known to be played in the first place.

Quality of song and mainstream acceptance and popularity have next to nothing to do with each other. Most people can readily identify "Who Let the Dogs Out" by the Baha Men, but let's face it, the song is not the height of musical artistry.

Quality of song and mainstream acceptance and popularity have next to nothing to do with each other. Most people can readily identify "Who Let the Dogs Out" by the Baha Men, but let's face it, the song is not the height of musical artistry.

That is, philosophically, a good point.

But popularity is not necessarily a reflection of quality. McDonalds vs. Ruth's Chris. Kia vs. Porsche. There are other factors involved.

Rather than argue the merits of Perry Como compared with Bobby Darin, the point within the confines of radio is that very, very few people out there are looking for unfamiliar songs that are 50 to 60 years old.

Sometimes if you dig too deep, you hit bedrock, not oil.

That was Lee Abrams' reason for leaving XM's classic rock channels (not including Deep Tracks) jockless during his tenure. His argument was that the listeners to those channels don't need to be told that they're listening to "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin or "Hotel California" by the Eagles, and besides, the info is right there on the device. Of course, he also fully staffed his decades channels and went far deeper for pop oldies than his successors would.

Under Sirius' control, those classic rock channels now have voicetracked jocks telling the listeners that, yes, that was "Stairway to Heaven" they just heard, and now stay tuned for "Hotel California." Different philosophy, much more aligned with conventional wisdom on what works and doesn't work on FM.

Last edited:

There are many, many old songs that I remember, but I just don't happen to recall the title and/or the artist. Age has a way of doing that to you, and it's nice to be able to just look at the display and get a memory jog.

I have been listening to them a few years now, being in Philly I use the stream. They recently changed frequencies and went full blown stereo, I usually listen at least 2 or more hours per day. The owner is live in mornings. Other stations I love for "oh wow" oldies are WFAT, WMID, KYA and 95PEN (which has fantastic audio), you might want to give them a try also. WFAT also throws country classics in the mix. Still don't know why a large metro like Philly cannot support one of these gems, instead of clogging the dial with Spanish and Religious formats on floundering AM's or translators and LPFM's, I am not against them but 10 is a bit too much.

Last edited:
I have been listening to them a few years now, being in Philly I use the stream. They recently changed frequencies and went full blown stereo, I usually listen at least 2 or more hours per day. The owner is live in mornings. Other stations I love for "oh wow" oldies are WFAT, WMID, KYA and 95PEN (which has fantastic audio), you might want to give them a try also. WFAT also throws country classics in the mix. Still don't know why a large metro like Philly cannot support one of these gems, instead of clogging the dial with Spanish and Religious formats on floundering AM's or translators and LPFM's, I am not against them but 10 is a bit too much.

Philly has an excellent online station I listen occasionally. Philly Gold Radio (PGR) is really deep with the R&B, great songs, and the guy who does the sweepers sounds like Sylvester Stalone. It's a station you might imagine Jerry Blavat putting together.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom