• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another 99X post

acheron1982

Star Participant
It's the station that never dies for some of you. I get it. For X fans, do you remember the 99x online version that was launched several years ago? I liked it on Facebook and it basically faded away but just today, the FB page came alive with a cryptic message saying to stay tuned and it included a pic of Jimmy and Leslie and the rest of the original 99X morning crew from the 90s. Can't help but wonder if this is related to 99X (at 98.9) FB post hinting at something on 10/21/2017. Has anyone else noticed this?

25 years to the date after the original launch. This would be great. Would people (new generation) catch onto the Morning X 25 years later? I noticed the station has drifted a little more away from the Alt 40 format and is playing more recurrents. On a similar topic, why don’t one of the three alternatives (97.7, 98.9, 105.7) go triple A? Dave was in the upper 2’s before they got axed by The Game. 105.7 isn’t even breakin a 2 right now.

Jimmy and Leslie and the rest of the original 99X morning crew from the 90s.

Of course Leslie was reunited with former 99X PD Brian Phillips at CMT a few years ago. Earlier this year, Brian resigned at President of CMT. So he might be available for a 99X reunion in Atlanta. Could he convince Leslie to join him?

25 years to the date after the original launch. This would be great. Would people (new generation) catch onto the Morning X 25 years later? I noticed the station has drifted a little more away from the Alt 40 format and is playing more recurrents. On a similar topic, why don’t one of the three alternatives (97.7, 98.9, 105.7) go triple A? Dave was in the upper 2’s before they got axed by The Game. 105.7 isn’t even breakin a 2 right now.

97.7 is kinda sorta a AAA with their "classic alternative" format, although they play more alt oldies, and harder ones, than AAA typically does. Dave FM was obviously trying to poach listeners from AC.

When 99X first hit the air in 1992 they played a decent amount of 1980s alt oldies. That went away as the format came into its own, though.

I do wonder why 105.7 hasn't flirted more with AAA, though.

Of course Leslie was reunited with former 99X PD Brian Phillips at CMT a few years ago. Earlier this year, Brian resigned at President of CMT. So he might be available for a 99X reunion in Atlanta. Could he convince Leslie to join him?

Brian Phillips has had a stellar career and accomplished a tremendous amount. I haven't heard anything about him since he left CMT.

Cumulus is not going to hire Brian or Leslie for 98.9. It's a translator with a poor signal, and the numbers would not work. Cumulus' 97.9 translator has a much better signal, probably comparable to a class A. But the ratings and revenue that signal could generate would not support hiring a staff.

Brian Phillips has had a stellar career and accomplished a tremendous amount. I haven't heard anything about him since he left CMT.

Cumulus is not going to hire Brian or Leslie for 98.9. It's a translator with a poor signal, and the numbers would not work. Cumulus' 97.9 translator has a much better signal, probably comparable to a class A. But the ratings and revenue that signal could generate would not support hiring a staff.

Could they voicetrack it or prerecord a morning show?

Could they voicetrack it or prerecord a morning show?

They could simulcast a morning show from another station. Sure they could voice track other dayparts, but it would require some investment. Not sure whether doing that would be worth it.

99X keeps playing old clips from Barnes, Leslie and Jimmy and keeps saying “What if...” What’s going on here? I’ve always felt that 98.9 is very equivalent to 97.9 in signal quality. Isn’t 98.9 broadcasting from the same location, height, and power as 97.9?

99X keeps playing old clips from Barnes, Leslie and Jimmy and keeps saying “What if...” What’s going on here? I’ve always felt that 98.9 is very equivalent to 97.9 in signal quality. Isn’t 98.9 broadcasting from the same location, height, and power as 97.9?

The issue is adjacent signals in nearby markets. Try listening to 98.9 near the airport.

I mostly agree re: signal quality. The problem with 98.9 seems to be interference from first-adjacent 100kW class C1 WDEN 99.1 out of Macon and cochannel class A WWGA 98.9 out of Tallapoosa. 98.9 is also slightly directional with nulls to the NW, NE, and SE (oddly, not nulling towards Tallapoosa). This is probably to protect a cochannel station WNGH in Chatsworth (class C3, NW) and cochannel full class C WSPA in Spartanburg, as well as WDEN.

HAAT, power, and location are the same for both.

Oddly, 97.9 has to deal with first-adjacents 97.7 class C3 WGPB out of Rome, 98.1 class C3 WMGP out of Hogansville, and 97.7 class C3 WMGZ out of Eatonton. None of those stations are 100kW class C1s like WDEN is, of course.

The issue is adjacent signals in nearby markets. Try listening to 98.9 near the airport.

There you are likely to get hit by both Macon and Tallapoosa, and maybe even Chatsworth since the skyline won't be in the way.

I've heard that 98.9 is an absolute mess on I-20 between Six Flags and Villa Rica. It's been a while since I've been out that way, though.

Last edited:
Like a turd that won't flush, here comes Rick Stacy's mistake AGAIN.

Although they could make a huge playlist just off all of their core artists that have offed themselves.

Does anyone see Cumulus putting 99x on a different signal? Lets face it; Radio 105.7 is doing poorly in the ratings. 99X isn't doing all that well but then again, we are talking about a translator (and a poor one at that).

99X vs Radio 105.7: Big difference. Radio 105.7 is not nearly as adventurous and focuses on the big hits of the 90s. No really deep digs and very little post 2010 except for what is on the top alt charts. 99X, by comparison, focuses largely on 2008 to present (last 10 years) and plays a lot of stuff that was once played by radio 105.7 but now you never hear. 99X will also play stuff before Radio 105.7. When 99x was first launched, it may have been too deep and now that more mainstream artist are played, the ratings bounced up a bit. 99X has limited DJ's but yet feels more local than Radio 105.7 which does have DJ's. Compare the facebook pages and you will see what I mean. Both are corporate stations but Radio 105.7 sounds like a general iheartradio alternative station. 99X, by contrast, does a lot with the local music scene (all through the week). COX tried this with X107 a few years back but that was a disaster. True, they leaned new but the playlist was limited so there were tons of repeats with the number one song being played literally every hour. While 99X also focuses on the newer stuff, they also have a large library of recent recurrents. I just get the feeling it's only a matter of time before a hole for modern rock will be left in Atlanta very soon as Radio 105.7 continues to decline in ratings (no I don't have access to their revenue so there is a chance I'm not seeing the whole story).

They could simulcast a morning show from another station. Sure they could voice track other dayparts, but it would require some investment. Not sure whether doing that would be worth it.

People are doing podcasts together from different cities and from around the world. And in radio, linking people to chat over microphones is still too "Buck Rogers?" No wonder I rarely turn on a radio these days (is that the podcast receiver with the big metal rod on it, but you can only hear shows at certain times of day?).

Like a turd that won't flush, here comes Rick Stacy's mistake AGAIN.

Although they could make a huge playlist just off all of their core artists that have offed themselves.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but Rick Stacy is a survivor. As far as I know he is still PD and morning host at Sunny 105.9 in Orlando. He was reunited with Domino, a great talent, who does afternoon drive there.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but Rick Stacy is a survivor. As far as I know he is still PD and morning host at Sunny 105.9 in Orlando. He was reunited with Domino, a great talent, who does afternoon drive there.

Rick Stacy was an odd guy. Nice guy, but odd. But I respected him and he always treated me very professionally. From what I understand, he was told he could be the morning man at 99X or the PD, but they didn't want both. He decided to leave.

They brought in Brian Phillips. Never liked the guy. Never introduced himself, never even looked me in the face while i was there. He had the GM tell me that I was being replaced. They asked if I'd stay on for 2 weeks and I agreed. The GM was a very nice guy. (I forget his name.) The ONLY time Phillips ever spoke to me was on my last day. He asked me to stay late to train my replacement. I left at lunch.

Their website is now saying that Barnes, Leslie, and Jimmy will be returning on 10/26/2017. Is this permanent or a one time thing?

Leslie Fram steered 99X straight into an iceberg; she was a lousy PD incapable of responding to changing listener tastes.

I'd much rather see a Project 9-6-1 or 105.3 The Buzz anniversary celebration! :)

(Seriously, 105.7 should ditch its sissy music format and flip to active rock. If they did so, Rock 100.5's ratings would be back to a 1.5 share within 90 days.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom