• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bruins PbP

Brian Johnston did Tue. Exh. game. If he's been hired IMHMI?

Ryan Johnston @Johnston985
My thanks... for the love today. Hopefully there's lots more highlights to come in the future.

It appears to be one su guy, or the other. Outsider may have a chance as well?

Brian Johnston did Tue. Exh. game. If he's been hired IMHMI?

RYAN Johnston...

So, I shouldn't be saying this. I worked at WCAP for a number of years. I know Ryan. Not on a personal level, but I worked alongside him. Without going into detail, I'll say this much...

He's WCAP's go-to guy for when there's a problem with the dos. He's also responsible for keeping that station on-air. Chances are, CBS will probably go out-of-market like they did with Bob Socci and the Pats. Not a knock on RJ's skills. But if CBS goes with RJ, then I can safely say this. WCAP has a problem long-term.

RYAN Johnston...

.... But if CBS goes with RJ, then I can safely say this. WCAP has a problem long-term.

Besides the long term issues they already have? It can get worse?

I had such high hopes for that place when Clark Schmidt and Col. Sam bought it...

I stopped listening a while back, my ears could not stand it anymore.

Ryan puts on a good show, hell I'd take Jack " Call me Jackson" Baldwin too if he was to become available again.

The now gone female ex State Trooper who was co hosting with Teddy drove me away, as did the uber liberal syndicated show, and all the pay for play stuff in the 10 to 12 slot....

bur seriously, when C&S took it over it was great....

Warren Shaw's Saturday morning pissing contest, where a local Pol grinds an axe against a TV show on Dracut Public Access gets old too.... you are on a station that can't get it's signal into Dracut on night power, and the transmitter runs on night power even during the day half the time... and you are bitching about Wayne's World?

Last edited:
Besides the long term issues they already have? It can get worse?

I had such high hopes for that place when Clark Schmidt and Col. Sam bought it...

I stopped listening a while back, my ears could not stand it anymore.

Ryan puts on a good show, hell I'd take Jack " Call me Jackson" Baldwin too if he was to become available again.

The now gone female ex State Trooper who was co hosting with Teddy drove me away, as did the uber liberal syndicated show, and all the pay for play stuff in the 10 to 12 slot....

bur seriously, when C&S took it over it was great....

Warren Shaw's Saturday morning pissing contest, where a local Pol grinds an axe against a TV show on Dracut Public Access gets old too.... you are on a station that can't get it's signal into Dracut on night power, and the transmitter runs on night power even during the day half the time... and you are bitching about Wayne's World?

The physical studio and backroom are safety hazards which predate C&S. Ryan is who he is. Again, I don't talk smack about colleagues unless there is a reason. I wish Ryan, Clark and the Col well. That's all I'll say about them.

I actually like Jack. I consider him a mentor and just a good guy, but I am aware of what people say about WCAP. Not a lot of good things. But I'll say this much about Ryan. He knows how to work that pesky DOS system. He's the only one who can fix the transmitter. If Ryan is tapped by CBS-Entercom, then what's Sam gonna do going forward? I don't know what else to say?

Last edited:
The physical studio and backroom are safety hazards which predate C&S. Ryan is who he is. Again, I don't talk smack about colleagues unless there is a reason. I wish Ryan, Clark and the Col well. That's all I'll say about them.

I actually like Jack. I consider him a mentor and just a good guy, but I am aware of what people say about WCAP. Not a lot of good things. But I'll say this much about Ryan. He knows how to work that pesky DOS system. He's the only one who can fix the transmitter. If Ryan is tapped by CBS-Entercom, then what's Sam gonna do going forward? I don't know what else to say?

I actually met up with Jackson back when I was C.E at 91.5..... that is where he got his start... and like a lot of the alumni from that era ( late 70's) he ended up at WLYN FM before it was sold to Mindich ( I ended up at WLYN AM..who knew!) Some of the antics from the basement of the Lydon Library would make a great book or TV show ( I wish I had the tape of Joanne Doody and Nancy Quill interviewing Laquidara who was so high on coke he was on another planet)

Jeff Kline at WLYN/WAZN is a D.O.S. wizard, their automation system is DOS based and the computers that it runs on are ancient DOS machines.

I actually met up with Jackson back when I was C.E at 91.5..... that is where he got his start... and like a lot of the alumni from that era ( late 70's) he ended up at WLYN FM before it was sold to Mindich ( I ended up at WLYN AM..who knew!) Some of the antics from the basement of the Lydon Library would make a great book or TV show ( I wish I had the tape of Joanne Doody and Nancy Quill interviewing Laquidara who was so high on coke he was on another planet)

Jeff Kline at WLYN/WAZN is a D.O.S. wizard, their automation system is DOS based and the computers that it runs on are ancient DOS machines.

Yeah, but does WLYN/WAZN run on tubes?

On a side note, I've been inside those studios. Jeff does a great job with the DOS systems. I'd say that even if he wasn't a frequent contributor to the RD boards.

We all know that DOS "never breaks." It's the easiest to use. It's also not used by many stations in 2017.

So, at WCAP, the DOS cart was...how do I put it? There were some sketchy things done with that system. And all signs pointed to (redacted). Whenever (redacted) didn't like someone, he would adjust the Dos, so that instead of playing the next cart in the block in the cart, it would repeat the same commercial. That way (redacted) could violently scream so hard that there were cracks in the glass. (Redacted) loved to chase out producers and in a very violent and malicious manner. Again, I don't try and speak ill of others in the industry. It's unprofessional and I am a firm believer in karma. This is different. I was privy to some of the most abhorrent and vile behavior by some of the long time staff members. That place is a problem. I was repulsed by the behaviors at that station.

Last edited:
Again...I wish WCAP well going forward

Again...I wish WCAP well going forward. I also know that it's highly frowned upon to speak ill of your former place of employment. Especially if you expect to keep working in radio. With that said, you don't treat employees that way. As a matter of fact, you don't treat human beings that way!

Judd Sirott tonight. Black Hawks host. Play b p experience seems minimal.

FWIW, Ryan Johnston tweeted today that he won't be getting this job. Too bad, I thought he was good.

Sirott got the gig. I bet it's at less $$ than he's currently making.

Super busy Boston sports scene tonight.
Good time to work out any issues over at WZLX without a spotlight.
Good luck to him.

Goucher will have a tough call Friday.
First game since the incident.

From what I heard in the other studio, he sounded good

He calls a good, solid game, describes the action well with appropriate enthusiasm. After the Bruins' four games -- two pretty good, two pretty bad -- it remains to be seen if this team is going to be any good. Calling games of a noncontender would really put him to the test.

Oops, were you talking about Goucher or the new Bruins pbp guy?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom