KGOW Moving to 94.1 - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: KGOW Moving to 94.1

Thank you Stan for the links. I'll settle in for a good read!

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Here’s the thinking -

Several auto manufacturers have committed to going to either electric or at least hybrid vehicles over the next few years. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...d-cars-n806806

Some of the all electric vehicles already have dropped the AM band from their radios due to interference (Tesla, BMW).
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...radio--but-why
    There are 263 million cars and trucks on the road in the US. The average age is over 11 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passen..._United_States (with footnotes to more accurate souces).

If every new vehicle sold had no AM radio, it would take more than a decade to reduce AM penetration by 50%.

The i3 BMW is on track to sell less than 9,000 units this year. The Tesla that, to this moment, will not have an AM radio, is more than a year away.

The number of FM only equipped cars is so minimal as to not be important at this moment. Whether this is the start of a trend needs to be seen when electric vehicles become more mainstream and there is a large model base to analyze.

AM's problem is less one of the receives an more one of coverage, sound quality and man made interference. In addition, because of these factors, few people under 50 even listen to AM.

Unfortunately, AM stations are the most resilient in the case of emergencies. Even with a fallen tower, they can be put back on the air with a length of wire between two phone poles or even trees. When run non-directionally, they often cover far better than FMs, and in the event that all of a market area's stations are off, AMs from outside the market can penetrate, at least at night. FM is less resistant, and digital TV is useless when power is out. Web based news sources have an even weaker sustainability in emergency situations.

Another problem is the lack of economic viability of many AM stations. Fewer and fewer have their own news staff, so even in an emergency they are at a loss for a source for news unless they have an arrangement with a TV or newspaper outlet.

As a final note, the greencarreports story is full of inaccuracies. Only one nation, Norway, is eliminating analog, and the timetable does not eliminate all FM until 2022. Norway can do this as it is a) small and b) most broadcasters are state-owned. Some other countries have reduced or eliminated AM, such as France, Austria, England; in some cases this has meant the government broadcasters abandoned AM but private and niche stations remain. In any case, Europe generally has a much more dominant state broadcast entity (such as the BBC) and this allows for unilateral "the public be damned" decisions. Another error is blindly citing the percentage of AM listening with out taking into account the fact that there are 3 times the number of FM services as AM ones, so proportionally, the numbers are not as extreme. In other words, someone at that site had a big serving of Kool Aid.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Fewer and fewer have their own news staff, so even in an emergency they are at a loss for a source for news unless they have an arrangement with a TV or newspaper outlet.
    A full service AM station assumes that the staff is dedicated and present during an emergency. During a life threatening ice storm on New Years Eve 2000, the KRLD news staff was getting drunk at a party, instead of warning people to stay off the roads - which were treacherous. The station was re-running a tape of a talk show instead. If it hadn't been for KTRH, which is darn hard to get in the Metroplex, I wouldn't have had any warning at all. They were on the air every 5 minutes warning people not to try to travel North to Dallas. Knowing what was going on, I slowed to 8-10 mph and had traction. 50 or so four wheel drive trucks - whose drivers flipped me off as they sped by - all ended up in the ditch along highway 380. I passed by them, stopping and rendering aid if someone was hurt. I only slipped once on an uphill, and some weeds from the side of the road under the tires had me on my way. As for dedication - a few years before in the early 90's I was on the air at WAPN, giving moment by moment reports of a tornado as it headed straight for the station. It lifted a half a mile from the station. But I was willing to wait and dive under the desk at the last moment rather than leave listeners without detailed reports of where the tornado was. Unlike the KRLD staff that partied during the ice storm. If you are a broadcaster, you have an obligation to the public you serve.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrucecarter5 View Post
    A full service AM station assumes that the staff is dedicated and present during an emergency. During a life threatening ice storm on New Years Eve 2000, the KRLD news staff was getting drunk at a party, instead of warning people to stay off the roads - which were treacherous. The station was re-running a tape of a talk show instead. If it hadn't been for KTRH, which is darn hard to get in the Metroplex, I wouldn't have had any warning at all. They were on the air every 5 minutes warning people not to try to travel North to Dallas. Knowing what was going on, I slowed to 8-10 mph and had traction. 50 or so four wheel drive trucks - whose drivers flipped me off as they sped by - all ended up in the ditch along highway 380. I passed by them, stopping and rendering aid if someone was hurt. I only slipped once on an uphill, and some weeds from the side of the road under the tires had me on my way. As for dedication - a few years before in the early 90's I was on the air at WAPN, giving moment by moment reports of a tornado as it headed straight for the station. It lifted a half a mile from the station. But I was willing to wait and dive under the desk at the last moment rather than leave listeners without detailed reports of where the tornado was. Unlike the KRLD staff that partied during the ice storm. If you are a broadcaster, you have an obligation to the public you serve.
    Please be careful when you post. How do you know that the KRLD news staff was getting drunk? Were you there?

Thanks,
    Frank

Apologies - no I wasn't there. I was fighting for my life on dangerous roads. It was, however, New Year's Eve. The assumption of excessive drinking at a party is not far-fetched. Somebody needed to be a designated "on-air" person in case there was real news. There was real news - a weather emergency, and nobody was there to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtejano View Post
    With this outrageous Data caps? Unlimited Data only for a few Gigs then they throttle you down? I rarely stream music on any device. Once in a while I’ll listen to music on YouTube. But at work, on my way to and from work? It’s all over the air radio. The music I have is purchased from ITunes but most of my music comes from radios. And so does the music many that I know off.

Radio isn’t going anywhere in 10 years.
    5G is coming with 1Gig a secong download speeds. That means we will soon be throttled to 4G speeds...which is more than ample for streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by N5TZQ View Post
    5G is coming with 1Gig a secong download speeds. That means we will soon be throttled to 4G speeds...which is more than ample for streaming.

Not at all Network providers, I had T-Mobile and when I went over my allowance I would be throttled to 2G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtejano View Post
    Not at all Network providers, I had T-Mobile and when I went over my allowance I would be throttled to 2G.
    I have ATT's "Unlimited Plus" plan. ATT claims to throttle after 23gb... but I use 70-80gb a month and still get full LTE speed, often times ~90-100mbps...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789