• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fla and Keys (IRMA)

What is the status of Florida towers after IRMA….especially in the Keys? Many businesses in the Keys have been destroyed…most will undoubtedly rebuild, but in the meantime what are the stations doing?

Reports are WWUS FM is back on the air. The building the houses WPIK FM in Cudjoe Key is severely damaged. Most of the towers were located in the area that was hit the hardest.

According to a FCC document WKIZ is still under a STA because of storm damage. (Again from the FCC website) WFFG AM is off the air because of legal dispute. With the exception of a few translators, everything is back on the air.

I worked there from 1988-90. The center tower had fell at that time (it was in bad shape). We reduced power to 75 watts on an STA to protect WTOP. In the recent window they did not file for a translator. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The building and towers are sheltered by the mangroves. So not sure what withstood the wind.

I believe the replacement center tower also fell several years ago, supposedly due to a "shift in the barrier reef" or something similar. Is/was the transmitter in the "Ski Key West" building at the end of 5th Avenue?

The Transmitter and studio was in a small green building left of Cow Key Marina (right of the towers and the old Drive in). The AM transmitter (and the old FM transmitter from the 80's) was downstairs along with the AM (WKIZ) FM (WEOW - before it was sold in the 90's). There was also a production room. Upstairs was management sales offices. The FM would 100K in the 80's and the transmitter site and tower was at the landfill (along with 102.5 and 107.9).

On a side note. I do recall that the 60-75 watt STA was on the condition the we did not interfere with WTOP, and I think we did. If that is the case, all towers will need to be proofed and repaired to assume operations which might not be cost effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that for a cool 2 Million, the old WKIZ studios, and the bay bottom where the towers stand (usually) can all be yours... Station license and equipment (whatever may remain) not included.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom