KPBS FM sits atop the ratings. Ties with KOGO AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: KPBS FM sits atop the ratings. Ties with KOGO AM.

  1. #1

    KPBS FM sits atop the ratings. Ties with KOGO AM.

    KPBS is at an all time high overall at 6.2 tied with KOGO AM at 5.9. 3 point difference in measurement. For the month of August 2017. Highly impressed. Giving those commercial stations a lesson in how a non commercial can be run successfully.
    This only helps get them more donors, sponsors to fund the radio station. But still highly impressed nonetheless.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    4,831
    Well congrats to KPBS Public media.

  3. #3
    KPBS-FM has been #1 before. And another PBS news/talker, KQED-FM/San Francisco, is frequently #1 in that market. Both stations are probably benefitting from their markets' large number of high-income demos.

  4. #4
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    KPBS-FM has been #1 before. And another PBS news/talker, KQED-FM/San Francisco, is frequently #1 in that market. Both stations are probably benefitting from their markets' large number of high-income demos.
    Large number of high income demos certainly is helping KPBS, but it is also benefitting from a dearth of compelling AM news and talk radio. KOGO (pro-Trump radio) programming is no match for KFI. KOGO's committment to news is poor when compared to KPBS or to KNX. KFMB has been uninteresting for some time (such as shame as it has such a grand legacy in the market). Armstrong & Getty (syndicated yuck), Mark Larson (predictable pro-GOP yuck), Mark Levin and Red Eye (more uninspired syndicated schedule fillers), Brett Winterble is local in PM drive; a good start, but does he even take calls? Taking calls rather than being a blow-hard for 4 hours could be a way to create a community of listeners. So nobody is really offering KPBS much of a challenge.
    Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Ian Maclaren

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Large number of high income demos certainly is helping KPBS, but it is also benefitting from a dearth of compelling AM news and talk radio. KOGO (pro-Trump radio) programming is no match for KFI. KOGO's committment to news is poor when compared to KPBS or to KNX.
    KNX is an all-news station in Los Angeles (although it has a good signal in San Diego), and KOGO is news/talk. Plus, KNX doesn't show up in the San Diego Arbitrons. So the two stations are not directly comparable. Also, KOGO does have a live-and-local morning newscast, and a partnership with KGTV 10 News and newscasts every half hour, so they do have a reasonable commitment to news. The fact that KOGO is only a 5kw AM, yet only slightly behind KPBS-FM, is actually quite a success story.

  6. #6
    Signal Geek. Apparently you aren't that much of a geek. You don't know how it works. If you add up all the 6-plus numbers in the latest Nielsen ratings it comes to 83.6. That means that there is a 16.4 percent of quarter hours belonging to listeners who are listening but are listening to stations whose owners don't pay to have them show in this market's ratings. That would include KNX and KFI who both have a significant listenership in SD County. They don't show up in San Diego because iHeart or CBS don't pay to have either station appear in the SD survey ALTHOUGH PEOPLE WITH METERS IN SD STILL LISTEN TO BOTH STATIONS. Their listeners are part of that 16.4 percent. Its just that Nielsen does not report stations whose owners don't register to have them show in that market. There are some smaller markets where the total listenership only adds up to 50-some or 60-some percent because those smaller stations have owners who simply don't want or need ratings or who can't afford to subscribe. Also, while KOGO does seem to be doing quite well, a huge percentage of its listeners are over 55. Plus, KOGO's numbers really go down when Carl DeMaio comes on the air. His bitchy, pissy whines get very old after a while. Hedgcock's boring monotone now seems more appealing than Carl's hissy-fit squeals.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by voice of reason View Post
    Also, while KOGO does seem to be doing quite well, a huge percentage of its listeners are over 55.
    I would bet that's also an issue for KPBS.

  8. #8
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    35,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    The fact that KOGO is only a 5kw AM...
    5 kw on 600 is about the equivalent of 50 kw on 1170. KOGO is a very good technical facility.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #9
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    35,394
    Quote Originally Posted by voice of reason View Post
    Signal Geek. Apparently you aren't that much of a geek. You don't know how it works. If you add up all the 6-plus numbers in the latest Nielsen ratings it comes to 83.6. That means that there is a 16.4 percent of quarter hours belonging to listeners who are listening but are listening to stations whose owners don't pay to have them show in this market's ratings. That would include KNX and KFI who both have a significant listenership in SD County. They don't show up in San Diego because iHeart or CBS don't pay to have either station appear in the SD survey ALTHOUGH PEOPLE WITH METERS IN SD STILL LISTEN TO BOTH STATIONS. Their listeners are part of that 16.4 percent. Its just that Nielsen does not report stations whose owners don't register to have them show in that market. There are some smaller markets where the total listenership only adds up to 50-some or 60-some percent because those smaller stations have owners who simply don't want or need ratings or who can't afford to subscribe. Also, while KOGO does seem to be doing quite well, a huge percentage of its listeners are over 55. Plus, KOGO's numbers really go down when Carl DeMaio comes on the air. His bitchy, pissy whines get very old after a while. Hedgcock's boring monotone now seems more appealing than Carl's hissy-fit squeals.
    Absolutely.

    KFI runs anywhere from a 1.0 to a 1.5 12+ share in San Diego, and KNX is about a 0.6 share station.

    AMs in general only have an average of 11% of the total shares, so the roughly 3 shares that go to KNX, KLAC and KFI account for over a third of all San Diego AM shares!

    There are also a number of stations in Tijuana that are not subscribed but show in the data subscribers get, and even several stations there that do not even encode, but which may take a tiny bit of listening out of the market.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 34james View Post
    KPBS is at an all time high overall at 6.2 tied with KOGO AM at 5.9. 3 point difference in measurement. For the month of August 2017. Highly impressed. Giving those commercial stations a lesson in how a non commercial can be run successfully.
    This only helps get them more donors, sponsors to fund the radio station. But still highly impressed nonetheless.
    Hooray!! KPBS 89.5 HD1 - sometimes, I get the station in HD near my work in Tustin or home in Redondo Beach - this bear likes KPBS 89.5 HD3 "Groove Salad" as 'I Dig' the chill music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us