• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Florida Radio Preparedness for Irma ?

No word on this forum yet, about Irma?

From here in NE Pennsy, I had gone 2-3-4 times a day to the Houston-Galveston board during Hurricane Harvey for updates (The stream of KTRH 740 in Houston was in their usual IHeart/Paramount/Tri-Star production mode, sonically treating the disaster as it it were some Labor Day promotion. But that's another story). A fellow on the Houston board kept the readers updated quite well.

But how about South Florida radio/TV? Are they laying in supplies and Vienna sausages and V-8 and batteries and generator fuel or they headed to higher ground?

Back around 1990, when Hurricane Hugo menaced the region, 'The Big Ape' Jacksonville was on its 50,000 watt omni day pattern all night. In Philly they were almost as loud as neighboring WFAN 660 and WOR 710.
Of course, they were WOKV at the time ; they'll always be the Big Ape to me.

So a) does South or Central Florida have any big-powered AM signals to act similarly?
b) are any of the stations 'live' on Saturday nights?
c) are there that many eager volunteers available on call at, say, WINZ, who would say, 'Yeah. What the heck. I don't have a date tonight. Gimme a few sixes of Miller and I'll have a bash at DJing' ?
d) with all the social devices extant in 2017, is any kind of emergency radio broadcast that important anymore?

I don't mean to make jokes here. I've been on mic at music stations through two blizzards and two hurricanes. I'm simply asking about what the priorities are vis-a-vis radio's reach in 2017 -- and on a weekend. After all, the affected area has had at least 5 days to decide which way to turn.

I know in the Keys during hurricane Andrew We had full coverage on WPIK FM around the clock (we had a generator at the studio and transmitter) There were two of us at the station and we took shifts, and ran NOAA weather radio during the lulls. WWUS FM also dd wall to wall coverage. They have the same news team, and I'm sure they are ready again. The Lower and middle keys were spared from Andrew. It looks like they will be okay again (with the current path as of 5PM today) with Irma. TV did a great job during that storm. Let's see what South Florida Radio will do.

http://newson.us/watch-hurricane-irma-coverage-local-tv-stations-newson/

NewsOn has stated which TV stations in Florida is going to Wall to Wall Coverage for Irma.

Here are our affiliate stations in Florida:

WPLG – Miami

WPBF – West Palm Beach

WPEC – West Palm Beach

WFLA – Tampa

WFTV – Orlando

WESH – Orlando

WKMG – Orlando

WJXT – Jacksonville

WFOX – Jacksonville

WJAX – Jacksonville

WEAR – Pensacola

Know what’s going on in your area. Stay safe, alert, and informed from your local news station.

Ah -- RadioPatrol. That was the poster who offered all those links on the Houston board. Good stuff! Thanks!

Would WIXC 1060 and WWBA 820 be planning their 50,000 watts omni during the emergency? In fact, with all the towers they each use around the clock -- I'm no engineer -- are they conveniently capable of going omni? After all, WOKV in Jacksonville is omni day.
Neither multi-tower directional setup makes for great inland coverage in the day, where the eye is forecasted to affect. And of course, both nighttime coverages would be even more ineffective.

Ah -- RadioPatrol. That was the poster who offered all those links on the Houston board. Good stuff! Thanks!

Would WIXC 1060 and WWBA 820 be planning their 50,000 watts omni during the emergency? In fact, with all the towers they each use around the clock -- I'm no engineer -- are they conveniently capable of going omni? After all, WOKV in Jacksonville is omni day.
Neither multi-tower directional setup makes for great inland coverage in the day, where the eye is forecasted to affect. And of course, both nighttime coverages would be even more ineffective.

DavidEduardo might explain that better though on how WWBA or other Florida stations will cover the storm though.

Directional stations are not permitted to go omni at full power under any circumstances. they may run daytime power/pattern only.

DavidEduardo might explain that better though on how WWBA or other Florida stations will cover the storm though.

While I don't know each station's plan, here are some general thoughts.

Many AM stations have transmitters in sites that are low and moist. Those locations in Florida will be low-lying, and may flood above the floor level of the transmitter structure and the base insulators on the tower or towers. Such stations can't stay on the air.

Many more AMs will not have generators or, even if they do, may not have a many-day supply of fuel. All stations have towers, which can be blown over or hit by flying debris and felled.

Studio areas may be evacuated, flooded or damaged. FM stations may have tower damage.

Most stations today do not have news departments. They can't do much coverage other than to relay the audio of a TV station or another radio station.

This is why during and after Katrina, some stations simulcast with WWL, and many others could not stay on the air. WWL was built to resist disasters of this kind, with a hardened transmitter building on a berm above flood levels. They had many days of fuel for the genny. They had links that did not depend on phone / Internet connections. They had a full news staff, and combined with other media for coverage.

So the question is a multi-part one. Which stations or clusters have news coverage abilities? Which of them have flood and storm resistent transmitter sites and studios? Then, what is the possibility that non-news stations can stay on the air and relay news sources.

TV today is useless in a storm or emergency as battery portable digital TVs use rechargeable batteries which need recharging every hour or two, and with no power they are dead. So it's going to be up to radio to keep people informed.

Finally, many younger Floridians have never used AM and will not think to look for an AM. None of the TV reports I am watching (Miami channels 2, 4, 6 and 7) has mentioned "AM radio with batteries" as a preparedness suggestion.

d) with all the social devices extant in 2017, is any kind of emergency radio broadcast that important anymore?

Looking at Houston and, more so, the hard-hit parts of the Caribbean, the first thing to go in hard hit areas is Internet connectivity. With flooding and winds, the infrastructure is easily damageable.

At home, with a loss of power, routers and switches and wifi go down.

Cellular sites are subject to winds, flooding and, generally, only have battery backup for a finite number of hours and then they go down.

Any battery TVs will run an hour or two and then require a recharge... impossible with no power.

Well I noticed that local TV stations in Texas said something about going to your phones/tablet/laptops and look at Harvey coverage from the Facebook and Twitter pages of TV Stations just in case you don't have TV or radio. I'm not sure if that the case specifically for Florida though.

Keep in mind that when Harvey hit Corpus Christi, the emergency officials told everyone, including radio personnel, to evacuate. That also happened during Katrina. The rules regarding radio during emergencies were changed some time ago, and radio stations aren't responsible for staying on the air and informing the public. If local emergency officials tell them to evacuate, that's what they must do. It's really up to local emergency officials to set up ways of getting information to the public. Radio is one tool at their disposal. But they may decide to use other means to reach the public.

An update of Iheart owned stations in Florida that will air Hurricane Irma coverage.

That story only talks about Tallahassee, which is a long way from Miami.

For Miami, the local iHeart station is WIOD, and they are likely to be the only all-news AM station in the area.

A CBS PD mentioned that he was going to simulcast WFOR-TV.

WOKV 104.5/690 is in continuous coverage. At least one person from WHIO in Dayton has flown there to help. Their chief is in one of the radio Facebook groups and indicated they might be going day power at night. They are referecing that people can tune the 690 signal when they run out of range of 104.5.

In 1989 during Hugo, 690 was using the WPDQ calls with an oldies format. I logged them in Fort Wayne, IN.

While I don't know each station's plan, here are some general thoughts.

Many AM stations have transmitters in sites that are low and moist. Those locations in Florida will be low-lying, and may flood above the floor level of the transmitter structure and the base insulators on the tower or towers. Such stations can't stay on the air.

Many more AMs will not have generators or, even if they do, may not have a many-day supply of fuel. All stations have towers, which can be blown over or hit by flying debris and felled.

Studio areas may be evacuated, flooded or damaged. FM stations may have tower damage.

Most stations today do not have news departments. They can't do much coverage other than to relay the audio of a TV station or another radio station.

This is why during and after Katrina, some stations simulcast with WWL, and many others could not stay on the air. WWL was built to resist disasters of this kind, with a hardened transmitter building on a berm above flood levels. They had many days of fuel for the genny. They had links that did not depend on phone / Internet connections. They had a full news staff, and combined with other media for coverage.

So the question is a multi-part one. Which stations or clusters have news coverage abilities? Which of them have flood and storm resistent transmitter sites and studios? Then, what is the possibility that non-news stations can stay on the air and relay news sources.

TV today is useless in a storm or emergency as battery portable digital TVs use rechargeable batteries which need recharging every hour or two, and with no power they are dead. So it's going to be up to radio to keep people informed.

Finally, many younger Floridians have never used AM and will not think to look for an AM. None of the TV reports I am watching (Miami channels 2, 4, 6 and 7) has mentioned "AM radio with batteries" as a preparedness suggestion.

Update WKMG and other Florida TV stations that if Florida Residents cannot get a TV feed or is evacuated they told their audiences to go to the respective stations apps, Facebook and Twitter Feed for updates.

It will not be shocking if Any Florida Station gets the same damage that Tegna got during Harvey where the KHOU Studios was flooded. It will be a challenge on which backup news staffs will the Florida stations contact though Like in the Case of KHOU they got other Tegna stations like WFAA and KUSA to take over Harvey Coverage on KHOU11 when Channel 11 had to go to a backup studio at Houston Public Media and a evacuation center for Tegna staff.

Last edited:
Update WKMG and other Florida TV stations that if Florida Residents cannot get a TV feed or is evacuated they told their audiences to go to the respective stations apps, Facebook and Twitter Feed for updates.

That assumes that the Internet infrastructure is intact and that users can charge their smartphones and tablets.

It will not be shocking if Any Florida Station gets the same damage that Tegna got during Harvey where the KHOU Studios was flooded. It will be a challenge on which backup news staffs will the Florida stations contact though Like in the Case of KHOU they got other Tegna stations like WFAA and KUSA to take over Harvey Coverage on KHOU11 when Channel 11 had to go to a backup studio at Houston Public Media and a evacuation center for Tegna staff.

I'm sure they all have backup plans. Univision, for example, has redundancy in Atlanta and as long as the TV station and the distribution to cable system head-ends are up and running, there will be full programming.

The real issues for both radio and TV are whether there is any tower or transmitter site damage and, in the case of TV, the ability to feed cable and satellite providers. Viewers without electrical service will be limited to the very short charge life of today's mobile devices. An old AM/FM radio can go for days on a set of batteries, and the batteries are replaceable.

In 1989 during Hugo, 690 was using the WPDQ calls with an oldies format. I logged them in Fort Wayne, IN.
For those of you who do not go back this far, in the seventies and possibly before,
WPDQ on 600 was Jacksonville's constant trailing pop-top 40 station behind WAPE on 690.
I listened to both (in the daytime) from the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL (but preferred 600).
600 is now WBOB, "The Answer" (Salem)
690 is now WOKV, "News 104.5"
The WPDQ call letters are unregistered.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom