Florida Radio Preparedness for Irma ? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Florida Radio Preparedness for Irma ?

http://wiat.com/2017/09/10/tracking-...y-and-tuesday/

http://www.rocketcitynow.com/weather-wzdx

Update Irma has hit their area too

http://www.live5news.com/story/36339...-related-death

Alabama and South Carolina are also hit by Irma besides Georgia. Local TV stations are wall to wall at this time.

http://wkrn.com/2017/09/11/tema-decl...ally-activate/

Update Nashville got an evacuation order because of Irma.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post

Update Nashville got an evacuation order because of Irma.
    Huh? It says "activate" not "evacuate"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Huh? It says "activate" not "evacuate"
    and now its deactivated.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Is this WKIZ? I heard that this AM, with 3 towers in a little bay off the ocean, closed down due to the threat of flooding so that they could put the transmitter up on crates to keep it from getting wet.

Monroe County has 40 stations and translators for just over 77,000 people, so certainly there was no lack of service.
    Hi David, sorry I was traveling and missed your question.. I believe that was the station. Was forwarded an E-mail chain where the mom and pop-run AM station in Key West decided to evacuate after initially making the effort to stay on the air as long as possible. Apparently one of the owners left early, while her husband stayed behind to try and reinforce the transmitter site. When it was announced that the bridges would be closed when the wind speed hit 40MPH, he decided to close up and evacuate.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Hi David, sorry I was traveling and missed your question.. I believe that was the station. Was forwarded an E-mail chain where the mom and pop-run AM station in Key West decided to evacuate after initially making the effort to stay on the air as long as possible. Apparently one of the owners left early, while her husband stayed behind to try and reinforce the transmitter site. When it was announced that the bridges would be closed when the wind speed hit 40MPH, he decided to close up and evacuate.
    One report says that every station in the Keys was off the air during the storm and few have returned. This seems reasonable in that there was a total evacuation order for the Keys: there should have been nobody there to hear the broadcasts.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

One report says that every station in the Keys was off the air during the storm and few have returned. This seems reasonable in that there was a total evacuation order for the Keys: there should have been nobody there to hear the broadcasts.
    As a native of Key West the following was posted on the Tom Taylor newsletter today. I have had zero contact with friends and family in Key West, but it looks like most in Key West are okay. The lower and middle Keys are a different story. Most of the radio towers are located in the impacted area (Cudjoe, Sugarloaf and Ramrod Key) and probably suffered severe damage.

A practical suggestion from “a ‘Conch,’ a fourth-generation Key Wester.” Damon Collins, now president of Blackbelt Broadcasting, says “As of now, all communications are down” in Key West. No stations on-air, no power, no cell phone service. Damon says “The only form of electronic media to get info out would be a portable radio...I would suggest that in disaster-prone locations, stations put together an emergency transmission kit. Even a 100-watt signal in downtown Key West (and other impacted locations) could provide valuable information. An exciter with a makeshift antenna (on a building or telephone pole) and a portable generator would at least allow information to be relayed.” He adds that “This is where the NextRadio app would have been extremely useful, too.” And overall, he says “This is why radio is so important.” Damon has history with these things - “In 1992, Summerland and Cudjoe Key was my radio home, at WPIK 102.5 FM. We covered Hurricane Andrew.”
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

I don't know how Channel 7 in Miami does it but they do. With all that water around the station on the Causeway they stay on the air. The only TV station in South Florida still in their original location, since 1956 I believe. It will be a sad day when that building surrenders to the high rises that are getting closer and closer.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/preli...watched/341313

Update for non Florida residents CNN was top rated during Irma.

WBOB (600) Jacksonville blasting into Atlanta relaying local Channel 4 audio.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast