• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFRG will it remain a stand-alone once CBS sale Closes?

34james

Frequent Participant
Just wanted to see what the experts thought about KFRG being a standalone in the Riverside -San Bernardino market place?. Would Entercom just spin it off to another company that runs stations out there like KOLA FM for example. It's not that economical to just keep a standalone in my opinion so far out of the LA area. I would suspect it would get sold or put in a trust once Entercom takes over. I know it's been for sale for years unless that has changed and I'm not aware of it.

I noticed on radiolocator they provide great signal coverage for the OC area. Maybe even if Saul Levine has the money he could buy KFRG and have it be a flanker to KKGO. Just a thought. KFRG's billing is good so it would be good for Saul in that respect.

My understanding is the station has been for sale for a long time and the price is considered too high for the signal.

Maybe it's time to lower the price than if it can't be sold at the current asking price. I get it, it's 50 thousand watts. But it's pointless to sell it if there are no buyers out there willing to buy it.

Maybe it's time to lower the price than if it can't be sold at the current asking price.

It's cheaper to hold it than to sell it. That's why they haven't sold it yet.

They still get the revenues, and it's still profitable, even though it's not particularly efficient. Lots of other stations in the exact same boat.

It's cheaper to hold it than to sell it. That's why they haven't sold it yet.

They still get the revenues, and it's still profitable, even though it's not particularly efficient. Lots of other stations in the exact same boat.

It's to the new owner's advantage to have a station in the IE. The IE and LA are separate radio markets, but they are part of the same LA TV (DMA) market so the station can be added to a sale where the advertiser targets both areas.

On the other hand, it is a stand alone operation, which most big operators today don't like.

I noticed on radiolocator they provide great signal coverage for the OC area. Maybe even if Saul Levine has the money he could buy KFRG and have it be a flanker to KKGO. Just a thought. KFRG's billing is good so it would be good for Saul in that respect.

The OC signal is mostly over the mountain areas, and not the centers of population. KKGO does have a signal over the populated areas, so the only advantage for Sol Levine would be to have country stations in the two separate markets.

the only advantage for Sol Levine would be to have country stations in the two separate markets.

As we discussed in another thread, he runs his stations a whole lot cheaper than CBS. So if he bought it, it would sap the profitability of his entire group, plus he'd have to lay off a lot of CBS staff. Not a fun situation, and so he's really not motivated. The potential isn't worth the aggravation.

It's to the new owner's advantage to have a station in the IE. The IE and LA are separate radio markets, but they are part of the same LA TV (DMA) market so the station can be added to a sale where the advertiser targets both areas.

On the other hand, it is a stand alone operation, which most big operators today don't like.

Like I said if KOLA operators bought KFRG it would be a good cluster to add on to their stations. Just depends on what Entercom does with KFRG and what KOLA owners can afford to buy.

CBS owns a number of stand-alones in Southern California. There's KFRG in the IE and its 92.9 simulcast in the Temecula area. There's 610 KAVL, a CBS Sports station in Lancaster. And there's AC formatted KEZN in Palm Desert.

Does Entercom want these or will they be put up for sale?

Are you sure about KAVL?

KAVL and a sister in Mojave were sold out of the Aloha Trust in 2012. The buyer is Saul Rosenzweig of Los Angeles.

CBS owns a number of stand-alones in Southern California. There's KFRG in the IE and its 92.9 simulcast in the Temecula area. There's 610 KAVL, a CBS Sports station in Lancaster. And there's AC formatted KEZN in Palm Desert.

There is an AM FM in the Victor Valley market, but they don't own KAVL and have not for 5 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom