• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dishonest advertising?

Using the code Piscopo handed out does result in a specific discount for his listeners. The codes other hosts hand out are identical, but have a code unique to those shows. What Joe said was neither a lie nor dishonest.

Using the code Piscopo handed out does result in a specific discount for his listeners. The codes other hosts hand out are identical, but have a code unique to those shows. What Joe said was neither a lie nor dishonest.

A distinction with no difference. The same discount is available on other stations

The key difference is Piscopo put a SPECIFIC code to get a SPECIFIC discount related to that code. That makes that particular discount exclusive, in legal terms, even if a similar discount was available to listeners of other programs.

As another poster wrote, if you think it violates the law, contact the FCC. Doesn't seem like something to get worked up about.

The key difference is Piscopo put a SPECIFIC code to get a SPECIFIC discount related to that code. That makes that particular discount exclusive, in legal terms, even if a similar discount was available to listeners of other programs.

As another poster wrote, if you think it violates the law, contact the FCC. Doesn't seem like something to get worked up about.

Piscopo boasted that the 50% discount is "exclusive" to am970 listeners: "You will not hear this offer anywhere else!" A few minutes later on the Bernie & Sid Show on WABC, they offered a 50% discount. Later, Mark Simone on WOR offered--you guessed it--a 50% discount! Too funny!

You're misunderstanding what he's saying. Call him up and ask him about it. Let us know what he tells you.

I get print coupons all the time saying their coupon is exclusive. Then I see the same coupon somewhere else for the same discount. But it has a different code. That's the situation here.

I guess I'm wondering: As long as the pillow isn't poisoning people, why should we care? When a host reads from any advertising script, and states that he (or she) "uses" a product, how do we know he or she is actually using it?

We don't. It's part of advertising.

If memory serves this is the second thread you've done on this subject. If it bothers you, contact the FCC or the FTC.

This is exactly the kind of retort that caused me to abandon the "other" message board. There it usually came from the moderator, here from just another poster. Interesting.

I guess I'm wondering: As long as the pillow isn't poisoning people, why should we care? When a host reads from any advertising script, and states that he (or she) "uses" a product, how do we know he or she is actually using it?

We don't. It's part of advertising.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"

This is exactly the kind of retort that caused me to abandon the "other" message board. There it usually came from the moderator, here from just another poster. Interesting.

Because it's the truth. What do you want to happen? What's the goal of threads like this? These are radio stations that are each getting about a 1 share. They aren't going to get traditional advertising. Most advertisers are avoiding political talk stations anyway, because of the controversial environment. So this is about the only advertising they can get. This includes infomercials. You want to listen for free? This is the cost. It's called looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Because it's the truth. What do you want to happen? What's the goal of threads like this? These are radio stations that are each getting about a 1 share. They aren't going to get traditional advertising. Most advertisers are avoiding political talk stations anyway, because of the controversial environment. So this is about the only advertising they can get. This includes infomercials. You want to listen for free? This is the cost. It's called looking a gift horse in the mouth.

No, you're missing the point. The tone of your post sounded like you would have deleted the OP's thread if you could. You're not wrong ... just sounding a bit snarky. "If it bothers you, contact the FCC or the FTC," doesn't really advance the discussion. My point was that this message board is generally quite civil.

doesn't really advance the discussion.

I think it does. Imagine the discussion that would ensue AFTER contacting the proper authorities and getting their response. Suppose someone gets fined for the ad, or nothing happens. Otherwise, we're all pissing in the wind. You're interpreting my "tone," without giving thought to my intent. I want to further the discussion, but that can't happen in an echo chamber. Someone has to take the next step.

I think it does. Imagine the discussion that would ensue AFTER contacting the proper authorities and getting their response. Suppose someone gets fined for the ad, or nothing happens. Otherwise, we're all pissing in the wind. You're interpreting my "tone," without giving thought to my intent. I want to further the discussion, but that can't happen in an echo chamber. Someone has to take the next step.

My Pillow's "discount" policy has gotten themselves into trouble before But, in this case, Piscopo himself is repeatedly making a seemingly blatantly false claim that a 50% discount is exclusive to am970 when 50% discounts are promoted on WABC and WOR, perhaps elsewhere: "You will not hear this offer anywhere else!"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-bbb-revokes-mypillow-accreditation/96145828/

Last edited:
My Pillow's "discount" policy has gotten themselves into trouble before But, in this case, Piscopo himself is repeatedly making a seemingly blatantly false claim that a 50% discount is exclusive to am970 when 50% discounts are promoted on WABC and WOR, perhaps elsewhere

Maybe Piscopo doesn't know. He might think he has a special relationship. Maybe the sponsor told him that. There are a lot of possible reasons. Only one way to find out.

No, Piscopo provided a unique code that would result in a 50% discount. Yes, a similar, if not identical discount could be had through other means, but the discount using the code he provided, was exclusive to the one he provided over the air. He neither lied nor mislead.

Actually, My Pillow's 50% discount isn't what caused controversy, it was their B1G1 promotion that never changed, so the BBB revoked its Accredited Status despite them having more that twice as many positive vs. negative reviews on the site. The 50% off perhaps was in response to that and they may seek to be accredited again.

No, Piscopo provided a unique code that would result in a 50% discount. Yes, a similar, if not identical discount could be had through other means, but the discount using the code he provided, was exclusive to the one he provided over the air. He neither lied nor mislead.

Actually, My Pillow's 50% discount isn't what caused controversy, it was their B1G1 promotion that never changed, so the BBB revoked its Accredited Status despite them having more that twice as many positive vs. negative reviews on the site. The 50% off perhaps was in response to that and they may seek to be accredited again.

OMG a unique Piscopo code! LOL So, without the Piscopo code, the same 50% discount "exclusive" to am970 listeners which "you will not hear or see anywhere else" is readily available on WABC & WOR but with different codes. Bottom line, the discount is not exclusive and the offer can be easily heard elsewhere and prolly seen elsewhere, too, on TV.

Bottom line, the discount is not exclusive and the offer can be easily heard elsewhere and prolly seen elsewhere, too, on TV.

So has this changed your perception of him as a host? Is he any less credible? Do you still believe other things he says on the show?

So has this changed your perception of him as a host? Is he any less credible? Do you still believe other things he says on the show?

Piscopo has zero credibility for me anyway Never trust a guy who runs off with the babysitter and gets his "assistant" pregnant when he's in his 50s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom