• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Florida and Puerto Rico on Hurricane Irma Watch

I sure hope it takes a path that affects the fewest number of people. It was just classified as a Category 5 in its current state.

and everyone in Texas is gonna be super worry about the possibility that this storm could just go through Florida and then go straight up west and then make a landfall in Texas, south Texas doesn't need a double whammy from this after what happen with Harvey doing more damage that Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Andrew and Superstorm Sandy combine.

to everyone in Irma's path, i hope you make it though safely and let's hope this storm weakens to a cat 3 or lower when it hit's Florida

Wow another hurricane is out and this time for now Puerto Rico and Florida are the first places that will get damaged but more details will be revealed later.

I'm listening right now to our coverage of the hurricane on WKAQ in San Juan. The first heavy rains started to fall about 6 hours ago in the northeastern coastal areas, with heavy accumulation of rain in the streets and very slow traffic, even late in the evening.

The eye of this 185-mph category 5 monster is completely over Barbuda at this moment. Could wipe out the entire island and 1,600 people with it. Antigua also getting heavy rain and wind. St. Maarten getting it next, then portions of Puerto Rico. After that, who knows? Most models show a Cat4 or even 5 Irma reaching Florida in various locations...Key West, Miami, Fort Myers, even Jacksonville. Then there's models that go to South Carolina or Savannah, GA and make landfall as an unknown category. Also one or two that show Irma heading north and back out to sea in a Matthew-like situation.
Miami-Dade Schools closing on Thursday/Friday with mass evacuations expected. Key West will be under a mandatory evacuation along with the rest of the keys.

The eye of this 185-mph category 5 monster is completely over Barbuda at this moment. Could wipe out the entire island and 1,600 people with it.

Quality construction in the Caribbean is reinforced concrete, including roofing. While low-income housing is wood and vulnerable, the good construction is not at all in danger from winds.

An island will, thus, not be wiped out. The biggest danger is flooding in low lying areas, as there are generally very few if any wind deaths in Caribbean hurricanes. Deaths are quite often due to failure to evacuate lowlands or are payback to morons who think that hurricane preparedness means buying a case of rum and another of beer.

I've been in three of the biggest ever to hit Puerto Rico, Georges, Hugo and David. Hugo's eye passed over my home with winds of around 160 MPG, or a Category 5. I was not in a flood prone area, and the home was all concrete. There was zero structural damage, a few tree branches broken and trash from other areas scattered around. My neighbor had the big Texaco sign from a gas station about 2/3 of a mile away sitting on his roof, but that caused no damage to the home.

Be careful of predicting what will happen in a hurricane if you have never been in a major event.

That's good. Does Barbuda have good infrastructure, or they are worse off than the other islands?

That's good. Does Barbuda have good infrastructure, or they are worse off than the other islands?

Like most of the small islands in the area, the main industry is tourism. Hotels and related structures are well built, and so are government facilities like schools, etc. For a small population, there should be ample facilities to get through the storm. Reports coming out via Channel 2 in San Juan say there is no indication of loss of life, but they think electricity may be out for weeks.

In fact, the power company in Puerto Rico says some areas that may be affected might be without power for several months due to the company's lack of funds for repairs.

You were right!

The storm damaged nearly 100% of the structures on the island of Barbuda. Even those made of reinforced concrete, like Robert De Niro's hotel, suffered damage from things like flying boats.

My family in Puerto Rico report that no hurricane they can remember was as bad, even though the eye did not hit the Island. On the cable news nets, they are saying that this storm may be the most intense ever, including Pacific typhoons, based on sustained intensity for so many days.

I saw the pictures...looked like an EF5 tornado destroyed Barbuda, except this was a hurricane! 3 dead already from this storm and it's nowhere near FL.
Which speaking of FL, latest models show a direct hit on South Florida, whether Miami or Fort Myers or even BOTH...we won't know until Friday or Saturday. Other models show a SC/GA landfall and hugging the FL coast.

I saw the pictures...looked like an EF5 tornado destroyed Barbuda, except this was a hurricane! 3 dead already from this storm and it's nowhere near FL.
Which speaking of FL, latest models show a direct hit on South Florida, whether Miami or Fort Myers or even BOTH...we won't know until Friday or Saturday. Other models show a SC/GA landfall and hugging the FL coast.

Just look at the aftermath in Puerto Rico: 68% of customers have no electricity, and the government-owned electric company says it may take over 6 months to fully restore services. That's in part due to the economy, but mostly to the fact that there are no neighboring electric companies that can pitch in to help such as happens with disasters on the US mainland.

http://newson.us/watch-hurricane-irma-coverage-local-tv-stations-newson/

Here are the Florida TV Stations that will be on Newson app for Hurricane Irma coverage.

Here are our affiliate stations in Florida:

WPLG – Miami

WPBF – West Palm Beach

WPEC – West Palm Beach

WFLA – Tampa

WFTV – Orlando

WESH – Orlando

WKMG – Orlando

WJXT – Jacksonville

WFOX – Jacksonville

WJAX – Jacksonville

WEAR – Pensacola

Know what’s going on in your area. Stay safe, alert, and informed from your local news station.

This morning when I drove home from the grocery store I turned on "Car Talk". Only it wasn't "Car Talk". More Harvey and Irma coverage with Scott Simon and Lulu.

I turned on the radio for "Wait! Wait!" More Scott Simon and Lulu.

Is this national? Most of us don't really need to know all this. There was a local update during a break saying where I live we should be prepared for power outages and that sort of thing by Tuesday, but that's Tuesday.

Must be national. I can't find podcasts of either show. I'm curious to know how they will handle the episode of "Wait! Wait!" that was intended for this week.

How many of you have seen the map of possible Irma paths called "spaghetti"? WBTV even uses that word in the "official" map.

NPR is treating this storm like CNN. I've never seen this done. It certainly wasn't for Harvey. The same shows got pre-empted today, although there wouldn't have been anything to repeat. Even "A Prairie Home Companion" got bumped but that's just a rerun of the previous night's broadcast.

I do know that when I got in the car just after 10:30, the people on "Weekend Edition" were talking about The Puzzle. I've heard that at around 8:30 when turning on the radio so I wouldn't forget to later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom