• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

XM/Sirius' on-screen promotion of the Red Cross relief effort

wadio

Star Participant
For days now, the on-screen artist and song information is being replaced much of the time by:

HARVEY RELIEF
and
1-800-RED-CROSS

I've come to rely on this text information but at the moment it's nearly useless.

It seems unkind and self-indulgent to complain considering what the people of southern Texas are going through, but in a way it's a separate issue and I have mixed feelings:

1. I've already donated through a charity other then the Red Cross - my choice.

2. I'm paying for a service that I'm currently not receiving from XM/Sirius - the preemption is constant, not just once in awhile.

3. Cable TV channels could put a persistent graphic on their screens, but they don't - why? That would reach more people and be less intrusive, but maybe they don't want to single out a single charity?

Is this tactic really doing some good? I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?

For days now, the on-screen artist and song information is being replaced much of the time by:

HARVEY RELIEF
and
1-800-RED-CROSS

I've come to rely on this text information but at the moment it's nearly useless.

It seems unkind and self-indulgent to complain considering what the people of southern Texas are going through, but in a way it's a separate issue and I have mixed feelings:

1. I've already donated through a charity other then the Red Cross - my choice.

2. I'm paying for a service that I'm currently not receiving from XM/Sirius - the preemption is constant, not just once in awhile.

3. Cable TV channels could put a persistent graphic on their screens, but they don't - why? That would reach more people and be less intrusive, but maybe they don't want to single out a single charity?

Is this tactic really doing some good? I'm skeptical. Any thoughts?

My thought--it doesn't bother me in the least, and I never gave it a second of my concern. It's fairly par for the course when major disasters strike the US now, a la Katrina et al. I donated elsewhere as well, but have no problem with plugging the red cross.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom