• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Opie getting a LA radio gig?

Hmm...just my opinion, but I don't really see a fit for Opie in LA.

The Opie & Anthony Show never had a Los Angeles affiliate station. Minus a handful of satellite radio listeners, the O&A brand likely doesn't resonate in the market. This reminds me of Scott Shannon's move to Pirate Radio in the late '80s, except that Opie has already peaked in his career.

For a station attracting a younger crowd, KROQ would not be an amazing fit as he's into his 50s and has not led a music-driven show since the early '90s. Unless KROQ is planning to pivot into a different direction or format. I could see him possibly taking a shift at a classic rock station or at a talk station. (Possibly KLOS or KABC?)

Again, this is all opinion. No facts. I also believe he lost his credibility with the Opie & Anthony fanbase after Anthony's departure from the show.

If he goes anywhere, it's an AM talk station.

I'd expect he'd find any music station too constraining.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...-replace-mike-francesa-wfan-article-1.3425503

Wait isn't Opie trying to use Los Angeles as a bargaining ploy to either go back to local New York Radio. I know Opie's name has been used as a bargaining chip at WFAN and to fight over the then rumored Chris Christie seat until that got shot down.

One new name that recently surfaced as a possible candidate is Gregg (Opie) Hughes of “Opie and Anthony” fame. Until last month, when he was terminated, Hughes was working for SiriusXM. A radio source shot the Hughes rumor down saying he was not a candidate for Francesa’s job

That "Radio Report" Twitter account is clearly Opie himself. He forgot to sign out and replied to a tweet directed at the "Opie" account once. They also have the same writing style. I'd take any rumors with a giant grain of salt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom