• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mike & Mike on WDFN

umfan

Star Participant
Mike & Mike (ESPN) was airing on WDFN this morning (09/01). I don't often listen in the mornings, the station was on because I left it there after getting home. Has this been going on long? The website still shows Fox Sports Daybreak in the lineup. Would iHeart really have changed affiliation or would not clear FSR programming to clear Mike & Mike? I guess it's possible ESPN paid the station to clear the program and that's the reason.

As you probably know FSN is an iHeart product, so to diverge from it would most likely require money or other consideration.

It might also be to gain certain exclusives from ESPN, such as their MLB package.

Detroit does not currently have a full-time ESPN affiliate.
I am guessing that is too large a market to not air the program without
affecting national ad rates.

That is interesting they air Mike & Mike on a station that otherwise carries FOX Sports Radio, which means they are also reunited on the same station as the Herd with Colin Cowherd. But since you claim you don't listen in the mornings, so how would you know, and this is the first I have heard of this, and for all I know this could have been going on for years. But they obviously decided that they couldn't 't let Detroit going without having the show on any sports station. I wonder if they will keep airing the show, once Mike Greenberg leaves and the show is hosted by Mike Golic and Trey Wingo, with Mike Golic Jr contributing for the first hour.

Yes, Big A, I do know that which is why I noted the preference for FSR programming in my OP.

I guess this has been cleared since the local show was given the ax some months ago. While ESPN is likely paying something for clearance, given the low ratings of the station, it probably isn't a lot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom