• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WYCT goes HD. Something new coming soon to Pensacola?

ADX has flipped the HD switch on WYCT 98.7.
They are running 4 HD channels with .2 and .3 currently simulcasting WNRP (AM1620) and .4 simulcasting Cat Country with a very low bit rate.

I'm guessing WNRP will wind up simulcasting in 94.5 in Milton, possibly through 98.7-3. The Ticket will lease the low bit rate 98.7-4 to feed 97.1 in Pensacola and 95.3 will move to Pensacola and be fed by a new format originating on 98.7-2.

I checked ABMP and Zach already noticed this but has no details so far.

This actually kind of caught me by surprise because I haven't had the HD radio on since mid-August. I only knew about it because someone posted some pics of the new transmitter they had installed and they mentioned in passing the HD was (back) on. The new transmitter, if I read the post right, is from Germany and is liquid cooled, which is pretty cool. When I initially updated my site, I couldn't actually get the HD to lock so didn't know what they were doing. It was still a work in progress at that point, with mono poorly processed analog audio. But it's back to normal today as far as I can tell.

No word yet on the plans for the programming, or if they'll even keep the HD-3 and HD-4 on. Could just be for giggles to see how well it works. I'm sure WNRP is staying on one of the subchannels, but beyond that? No idea. Wish I knew.

This actually kind of caught me by surprise because I haven't had the HD radio on since mid-August. I only knew about it because someone posted some pics of the new transmitter they had installed and they mentioned in passing the HD was (back) on. The new transmitter, if I read the post right, is from Germany and is liquid cooled, which is pretty cool. When I initially updated my site, I couldn't actually get the HD to lock so didn't know what they were doing. It was still a work in progress at that point, with mono poorly processed analog audio. But it's back to normal today as far as I can tell.

No word yet on the plans for the programming, or if they'll even keep the HD-3 and HD-4 on. Could just be for giggles to see how well it works. I'm sure WNRP is staying on one of the subchannels, but beyond that? No idea. Wish I knew.

I think they Have a few additional Translators (W287CX W237BE W222BR ). I assume one is being used for the AM. The rest will be slowly walked down to Pensacola, and will take a HD channel. Of course that is a prediction :)

What's the status of W246BN? I expected it to be fed through Cat Country's HD but the FCC says the permit was cancelled last month. Too technical for me to understand.

§ 1.1910 Effect of insufficient fee payments, delinquent debts, or debarment.

(b)(3) If a delinquency has not been paid or the debtor has not made other satisfactory arrangements within 30 days of the date of the notice provided pursuant to paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the application or request for authorization will be dismissed.

And

§ 73.3568 Dismissal of applications.
(a) (1) Failure to prosecute an application, or failure to respond to official correspondence or request for additional information, will be cause for dismissal.

Best I can tell, they either forgot to pay some fee, or failed to pay some fine.

Best I can tell, they misspelled "Omni" and credited WDWR for giving them permission to simulcast heir programming on W246BN. Nice.

FCCInfo suggest this latest application dismissal reversed the move from Atmore to Pensacola.

HD's off again.

They applied for a power increase on the HD side. The original calculations in some cases for HD were under the signal contours for analog. The FCC has made some exceptions.

When they were testing a few days back they had a solid HD signal in downtown Pensacola. The only other station with a solid HD signal in Pensacola is WUWF. If WYCT increases HD power 4x the signal might blanket Milton, Crestview and Navarre.

When they were testing a few days back they had a solid HD signal in downtown Pensacola. The only other station with a solid HD signal in Pensacola is WUWF. If WYCT increases HD power 4x the signal might blanket Milton, Crestview and Navarre.

They definitely need the extra power, I had trouble keeping a lock here in Foley just walking around outside.

Speaking of power, I am getting WUWF in HD again, have they installed a new transmitter already? I noticed when they were on their backup, they were inaudible even in analog here in central Baldwin County, but still had HD running and it worked find in Pensacola.

Edit to add: After looking at the STA request, it looks like they're shooting for the full 10 kW (10%) on one sideband and 5% on the other to protect WINL in Linden, Alabama. That surprises me, I would have thought WFSY in Panama City would be a bigger issue. Guess not. The map doesn't even show WFSY coming into play, while WBAM in Montgomery will. Weird.

Last edited:
i knew WYCT had a null toward WFSY but I never knew about the null toward WINL.

From Pensacola I couldn't tell that WUWF had any problems after the first week. I assumed their backup transmitter was analog only and everything was good once the HD showed back up.

It was on for testing, then went back off. They have applied for an STA to operate at higher power and probably won't turn the HD back on until that waiver is granted.

That’s interesting to know. By the way, why is WDLT the only station on HD? Do you think the rest of the Cumulus stations will go HD or at least give an audience the title of the artist and song via RDS? It’s a neat tool to have when your “jam” comes on and your awkwardly trying to find the name of that song or artist. Maybe it’s just me....

That’s interesting to know. By the way, why is WDLT the only station on HD? Do you think the rest of the Cumulus stations will go HD or at least give an audience the title of the artist and song via RDS? It’s a neat tool to have when your “jam” comes on and your awkwardly trying to find the name of that song or artist. Maybe it’s just me....

I assume you mean why is WDLT the only Cumulus station in HD… Since most iHeart stations and WUWF are all in HD too.

I figure Cumulus' lack of digital prowess is due to money. They had HD on 92.9, 100.7 and 104.1 a long time ago and one by one they fell by the wayside, leaving WDLT as their lone HD property. Which is kind of weird, since WDLT's HD doesn't actually work correctly and won't decode on the majority of radios I have tried. So far out of probably half a dozen different radios, both portable and in-car, only two seem to actually decode the digital signal. One is my really old Insignia portable and a VW HD radio I fiddled with over at Pete Moore VW in Pensacola several years ago. My newer Insignias just flash the HD logo constantly; the Ford and Mazda HD radios I've seen just show the HD logo but never blend over to the digital signal. If you can get WDLT's HD to work, I would love to know what kind of radio you have. It seems to be a software-related bug in WDLT's encoder but I don't think their engineer here knows enough about it to get it fixed properly, and I don't know how this stuff works well enough to point him in the right direction.

And… last time I pulled that old Insignia out of mothballed storage, WDLT's HD was waaaay off sync of the analog, so the few people who could hear it would be treated to constant headaches if they experienced signal dropouts.

Stupidly, they kept the HD on WCOA on when it was talk. But when they flipped to the classic hits "Jet" format, they turned it off. Go figure. The few days it was on with music, though, it sounded fantastic. With no subchannels and light processing, the HD can really sound good. Ditto WBLX. Not my format, of course, but when the HD was on it was really clean and clear and just sounded great. iHeart's HD sounds crappy by comparison, but they run two subchannels on WKSJ, WRKH and WMXC that eat up the bits, AND they seem to still have crappy low bitrate mp3s that they play for music instead of lossless files like a real careful listener would insist on. (Again, probably due to a lack of money from corporate to upgrade. In B'ham, it's the opposite, with Cumulus' stations sounding bad and iHeart's sounding good, bitrate-wise.)

The RDS thing should be pretty easy to implement, but again I question the ability, financially or knowledge-wise, of the Cumulus engineer to actually do any of that. I hate to potentially bad mouth someone that isn't here to defend themselves, but it just seems like the technical side of Cumulus on the gulf coast is... lacking. The RDS failed on WBLX like a year ago and it took them that long to get it on again, and when it was on, it just had gibberish instead of text. Ditto WRRX in Pensacola, which is STILL saying "RDS_PS" in the station name field on all my radios, like the encoder is on its default, waiting to be programmed. It's been that way for at least a year now, maybe two. Then back when 100.7 dropped talk, they were in mono for a week or two but with a stereo pilot, and only airing the left channel of audio so all the music sounded wrong. That's the sort of thing that should be fixed in hours, not weeks.

Sorry for the rant, it just gets on my nerves that we seem to live in a market that corporate radio has entirely forgotten.

I assume you mean why is WDLT the only Cumulus station in HD… Since most iHeart stations and WUWF are all in HD too.

I figure Cumulus' lack of digital prowess is due to money. They had HD on 92.9, 100.7 and 104.1 a long time ago and one by one they fell by the wayside, leaving WDLT as their lone HD property. Which is kind of weird, since WDLT's HD doesn't actually work correctly and won't decode on the majority of radios I have tried. So far out of probably half a dozen different radios, both portable and in-car, only two seem to actually decode the digital signal. One is my really old Insignia portable and a VW HD radio I fiddled with over at Pete Moore VW in Pensacola several years ago. My newer Insignias just flash the HD logo constantly; the Ford and Mazda HD radios I've seen just show the HD logo but never blend over to the digital signal. If you can get WDLT's HD to work, I would love to know what kind of radio you have. It seems to be a software-related bug in WDLT's encoder but I don't think their engineer here knows enough about it to get it fixed properly, and I don't know how this stuff works well enough to point him in the right direction.

And… last time I pulled that old Insignia out of mothballed storage, WDLT's HD was waaaay off sync of the analog, so the few people who could hear it would be treated to constant headaches if they experienced signal dropouts.

Stupidly, they kept the HD on WCOA on when it was talk. But when they flipped to the classic hits "Jet" format, they turned it off. Go figure. The few days it was on with music, though, it sounded fantastic. With no subchannels and light processing, the HD can really sound good. Ditto WBLX. Not my format, of course, but when the HD was on it was really clean and clear and just sounded great. iHeart's HD sounds crappy by comparison, but they run two subchannels on WKSJ, WRKH and WMXC that eat up the bits, AND they seem to still have crappy low bitrate mp3s that they play for music instead of lossless files like a real careful listener would insist on. (Again, probably due to a lack of money from corporate to upgrade. In B'ham, it's the opposite, with Cumulus' stations sounding bad and iHeart's sounding good, bitrate-wise.)

The RDS thing should be pretty easy to implement, but again I question the ability, financially or knowledge-wise, of the Cumulus engineer to actually do any of that. I hate to potentially bad mouth someone that isn't here to defend themselves, but it just seems like the technical side of Cumulus on the gulf coast is... lacking. The RDS failed on WBLX like a year ago and it took them that long to get it on again, and when it was on, it just had gibberish instead of text. Ditto WRRX in Pensacola, which is STILL saying "RDS_PS" in the station name field on all my radios, like the encoder is on its default, waiting to be programmed. It's been that way for at least a year now, maybe two. Then back when 100.7 dropped talk, they were in mono for a week or two but with a stereo pilot, and only airing the left channel of audio so all the music sounded wrong. That's the sort of thing that should be fixed in hours, not weeks.

Sorry for the rant, it just gets on my nerves that we seem to live in a market that corporate radio has entirely forgotten.

You’re good to rant! I think it’s why corporate radio (Cumulus) in Mobile is cheap. But I feel like it’s different for iHeart.

I was in Pensacola yesterday (10/16) and there was no HD on 98.7

I've been checking in on it about once a week, either listening with the little Insignia I have or looking at the signal on my SDR. I don't know what the heck they're waiting on, or if they just decided to shut it off and not deal with it, or what.

Another ancillary service on FM has bit the dust, too. Jet 100.7's RDS has been off now for a week or so. The decline of Cumulus' local operations continues unabated, I guess.

I've been checking in on it about once a week, either listening with the little Insignia I have or looking at the signal on my SDR. I don't know what the heck they're waiting on, or if they just decided to shut it off and not deal with it, or what.

Another ancillary service on FM has bit the dust, too. Jet 100.7's RDS has been off now for a week or so. The decline of Cumulus' local operations continues unabated, I guess.

Totally lazy, i presume. However I think it's management here in Pensacola/Mobile is at fault. Elsewhere they seem more "up to speed".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom