• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hank Stolz

Former 830 WCRN and 580 WTAG morning drive host Hank Stolz launched the "Talk of the Commonwealth" (TOTC) Podcast at the beginning of August. I've been listening to it on iTunes and it appears to be on SoundCloud too. He's on Twitter and Instagram under the handle @CommonTalkPod, as well as Facebook too.

Glad to see Hank back at it and excited to listen to his daily podcast in the car. Although there aren't any of the regular callers, which added interesting perspectives to the AM radio show, his content and interviews are informative, interesting, and relevant.

See: "WCRN radio jettisons Hank Stolz"

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...adio-jettisons-Hank-Stolz-for-Fox25-simulcast

This venture is also going to be over the air on WUTY-LP 102.9 Unity Radio in Worcester. Not sure when this station went on the air. They had live local election coverage last night from 6 - 10 p.m. Hank and Walter Bird from Worcester Magazine anchored the coverage from Worcester City Hall.

At one point Hank spoke about the new talk lineup starting Monday morning with "Talk of the Commonwealth" with Hank Stolz. He took shots at iHeart's WTAG and the fact that they are simulcast on Springfield radio saying that their new talk venture online and on Unity Radio will be hyperlocal.

Hank went on to mention that when he was at a 50,000 watt station without mentioning WCRN by name, they had rip 'n read headlines from the Herald, Globe, NY Times, and Washington Post taking a more regional and national approach.

The new talk shows will be a return to what radio used to be, hyperlocal with an emphasis on Worcester news.

I'm not from the Woostah area, but I used to listen to Hank on WCRN as an alternative to those nitwits on the RKO drive time. I'm glad he's going to be back on the air, he is a great broadcaster. I may tune in, but, not being in the area, something "hyperlocal" is not likely to have content that will interest me much.

MarcB is right. This is a totally legitimate operation.

There has been a Pirate operating at 102.9 in the southern part of the city. In fact, yesterday I think it was still operating because WUTY-LP was just about completely unlistenable being overpowered by what sounded like a foreign language station.

There are pirates operating on several spots on the FM dial in Worcester. :(

Looks like the pirate radio station has been silenced. The 102.9 signal is much better even reaching into some of the surrounding suburbs.

Hank announced this morning that he’ll be back on WCRN starting on September 3rd with the ‘Talk of the Commonwealth’ show.

He mentioned that you’ll still be able to hear it on all of the platforms you currently hear him including Unity Radio 97.9

They currently air a simulcast of the Boston 25 TV news from 4-10 a.m. Hank will be on from 6-10 a.m. Will Boston 25 keep the simulcast until 6?

http://wcrnradio.com/wcrn-program-schedule/

And it was announced in this tweet too:
"Big News! Talk of the Commonwealth will be heard live every weekday morning from 6-10am on 50,000 watt WCRN starting on September 3rd.

We talk all the local #Worcester and Central Mass issues that matter to you!"

Glad to see Hank is coming back. He always epitomized a professional broadcaster IMO.

Not sure I'll tune in as I'm nowhere near central mass/woostah and generally not interested in hyper-local talk, but if he has a state-wide or national topic hour, I may listen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom